“A really special place”
Review of East Coast Dining Room - CLOSED

East Coast Dining Room
Price range: US$ 16 - US$ 42
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Just 5 minutes from the beaches of Whitstable, the EAST COAST DINING ROOM is serving outstanding food and drink in a comfortable and unique setting.
Reviewed 27 August 2017

It takes a rare skill to get the combination right: friendly, polite, classy service; superbly selected dishes with great combinations of ingredients; and then the execution of those dishes. East Coast Dining Room has got it right. I might notch down the best of Frank Sinatra playing in the background, but that's a personal thing. The evening was perfect: oysters and accompaniments were exceptional, like a mouthful of the sea. Delicious blinis and pea soup as amuse bouches. Mains of cod, lamb, pork, mullet all superb, 5-6 components on each plate but nothing out of place. Braised lettuce, pickled courgette, romanesco sauce, chorizo chutney, tempura squid all extra little accents on perfect plates. Desserts of brownie, cheese, strawberry cheesecake and financier (cake...the most incredible cake), again with little twists and accents, such as coconut parfait with the brownie, toasted hazelnut crumb with the cheesecake. And to finish, wonderful petits fours - little chocolate fudges and wonderfully zingy citrus jellies. And all accompanied by a local Kent rose which was light and summery. A great night.

Reviewed 22 August 2017

We stayed in Tankerton, near Whitstable for the weekend with a couple of friends and, on the basis of previous reviews, booked a table for our first night. We had a couple of glasses beforehand at The Wine Room nearby (well worth a visit). We were not disappointed with The East Coast Dining Room. The service was excellent – at no time did we feel rushed. The food was similarly excellent - one of the best meals I have had for some time.

Reviewed 17 August 2017

Well worth the few minutes walk from Whitstable centre. The food was wonderful, beautifully presented and delicious. We stayed (and ate) in Whitstable over 3 days. This was, by far, the best meal we had.

Reviewed 16 August 2017

Great service from the moment we booked to the end of the meal. Food was lovely, good choice of wines and very attentive team - would definitely book again.

Reviewed 13 August 2017

My fellow diner asked me not to review this restaurant:
"Please don't you might make it too busy"
But I am compelled to do so.
If we can't book a table next time we want one then I'll have to eat more than the best meal out that I've eaten since I moved to Kent in 1976! I wasn't surprised to learn that the current manager (Nick) used to work at my former favorite restaurant in Canterbury.
At first glance at the menu I thought - a little pricey. However you get so much more than you expect and I will not spoil it for you.
The design and layout of the interior is so clever that I will have to emulate it, next time I design a restaurant.
You don't appreciate this until you sit down.
You won't appreciate it if you don't go!
On studying the menu the main meals look complex but every element of my meal complemented another and as my perfectly cooked rack of lamb melted in my mouth the price pales into insignificance.
Our waitress (Kiwi - don't make the mistake I made by guessing South African) was humble and attentive.
The chef would not desert his/her kitchen to receive my compliments, in person.
Could this be the 'Stig' of fine dining.
Please just treat yourself. (But not when I need a table)
The Eco Hippy