“One time wonder ”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed 28 May 2021 via mobile

Well we have been here before and I was really excited to get my bouillabaisse which on the last occasion was one of the best I have had.
Seafood restaurants are my speciality and can mention a few, but on this occasion I ordered the same dish and it came in a gratin dish with no depth of flavour, no depth of sauce and very bland.
Although the price had gone up and expected so, as they used a gratin dish there wasn’t much there for the cost. Considering they are part of the seafood distribution or sales below, I expect a bit more.
The two crustaceans inside the dish didn’t add anything and it was in no doubt a complete disappointment. Although we complained we got a sorry and that was it.
On the up side, we managed to collect some salt and power squid as we were hungry after from a Chinese near home.
Anyway lessons learned.

2  Thank garyparker231
Write a reviewReviews (1,163)

Reviewed 27 May 2021 via mobile

The bouillabaisse is NOT a bouillabaisse. At best, it's a bad fish broth. Mussels overcooked and therefore rubber like. Same with the lobster. Poor service: waitresses more interested to chat amongst themselves or cleaning tables than looking after their customers. First, forgot to bring the right cutlery to eat the sea food; then waited an unreasonable amount if time between courses. No apologies. Bread served with olive oil and vinegar; in a fish restaurant I'd expect it to be served with butter, not olive oil and vinegar. The puddings are definitely not worth £8 in our view. The 'Dutch aple flan' was straight from the fridge. Overall, disappointing. We give it 2 stars for the setting (though for some unknown reason, the waitress initially offered a table with no view) and one of the starter was good (scallop and black pudding).

2  Thank Severine-mp76
Reviewed 24 May 2021

We were delighted to be able to return to one of our favourite restaurants to celebrate my husband’s birthday. Delicious food, as always and we felt very Covid-19 safe. It’s clear much hard work has gone into enabling customers and staff to feel secure in these difficult times. Thank you.

Reviewed 6 November 2020

We were really look forward to the Meal, but felt very rushed as there was a sitting after ours . Food was ok , served by friendly staff.

Date of visit: October 2020
2  Thank GuildfordLilly
Reviewed 30 October 2020

Travelled to Whitstable from Sevenoaks and ahead of arriving we booked a lunch at Crab and Winkle through OpenTable. When we arrived with my 7-year old son we were told that the restaurant did not allow children under 10 due to COVID-19 (apparently it was for social distancing reasoning). This was nowhere to be seen the on OpenTable link or on the online menu. On arrival, we were ‘greeted’ by a rude and obnoxious woman called Elizabeth who did not care a jot that we had travelled over 45 miles to visit the area and the restaurant and despite my protests that nowhere was it readily visible that this ridiculous policy was in place, she told me ‘I don’t care what you say, I’m not letting you in, it says that we don’t allow under 10s outside of the restaurant’. With that really not helping when you book the restaurant remotely, we left the restaurant and the area immediately given that there seemed to be no other restaurants with any availability at that time of the day (and understandably so). A horrible little woman with a poor attitude and a restaurant with a ridiculous policy of which none of my party could comprehend.

Date of visit: October 2020
6  Thank Stevemb1
J9460GEpeterb, Owner at Crab & Winkle Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2020

I must say first of all that I congratulate my staff for implementing the house rules so rigidly. As sage has said primary and secondary children are invisible carriers. So what I say in answer to this person is that the rules are on our web site in red he should not question my staff as to why he should have to adhere to the same rules as Avery body does. My priority is the well being of my staff and customers. He obviously does not care about anyone but himself.