All reviews lovely hotel river view no lift shepherd neame pay and display flask of fresh milk reception area limited parking family room tea and coffee wine list visiting sandwich family wedding full english lovely room lovely weekend smoked salmon
Reviewed 15 March 2016 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights for the wife's 60th.We had a nice room,25,overlooking the river.However,it was a cold weekend and the room was cold,had to ask for an extra oil filled heater which we left on permanently.Our accommodation included a meal on the first night,generally it was only OK as the starters was limited.The steak was poor quality considering it should have cost £23.95 and the chicken was dry. Two days running had to ask for T Bags and milk.Must say the breakfast was much better with a good selection including juices,cereals,toast and full English.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2016

We stayed at The Bell this weekend, having booked one of their "weekend specials" which included the evening meal. Welcomed from the start with very friendly service, room was very comfortable and clean (pillows perhaps could have been a little firmer), and there was a good selection from the inclusive evening menu. Food itself was very good, in fact the restaurant/bar area was very nice to sit and eat in with excellent service. All in all it was a very pleasant and enjoyable weekend and we will definitely return there as there is so much within Sandwich and the surrounding area to see and The Bell is a good base and a nice hotel to relax in with "proper values" which is rare yet pleasing these days when you find a hotel such as this.

Room Tip: We had a room with a view over the town on the second floor and were very happy with it.
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dave H
Reviewed 29 February 2016

I booked The Bell hotel as a 50th birthday weekend for husband and stumbled upon a gem of a place! The staff were all fabulous! Friendly , courteous and professional. We would like to say a special 'thank you ' to Joe the maintenance man who saved my precious ring from the bathroom sink , which slipped off my finger and disappeared within 10 minutes of arriving at the hotel! Also, Magda, one of the sweetest waitresses we have come across. She was so hard working ( as all the staff are) and particularly helpful and informative wth regard to making our stay special.
The duty manager was a delight, friendly and super professional when there was a problem in the kitchen on the first morning of our stay. Nothing was too much trouble for anyone.
Our room was lovely , although refurbished it did need a little more tlc in places, as did some of the corridors, but on the whole the hotel, restaurant and bar we're lovely. We will definitely be going back.

Room Tip: Room 31 ... Large quiet room
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2016

Stayed the night in Sandwich with our two children and a dog. Staff at the hotel (particularly the receptionist on duty) were very helpful and attentive to our every needs. The hotel really welcomed dogs and kids. Nice, spacious room with comfy beds; evening meal and breakfast very tasty. Sandwich is a lovely destination, full of cobbled alleyways and Dickensian buildings. We will certainly be going back!

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 February 2016

Lovely little hotel in an great location. My wife and I stayed here recently to celebrate the end of 'dry January' - we wanted a hotel where we could eat, drink and lay in bed with the option to wonder about a small town which I think The Bell and Sandwich is very well suited for.
Friday evening we ate in the restaurant which was perfect given the drive down from London. The menu was good and the food very good. I think we would have chosen to eat there a second night but we did think the menu was a little limited. Instead we headed out on the next night.
The room (we had a suite with a river view) was big and bright and well appointed with very comfortable bed. We were very comfortable indeed. The only downside to this room was that for some reason we could hear the gentlemen upstairs who seemed to be booming down his mobile phone and at one stage we thought we'd have to listen to him for the entire Saturday evening.
The hotel itself was cute but I think some of the corridors away from the main reception could do with some TLC. Also - sorry to say that I didn't like the smell of the restaurant wafting up the main staircase but

Breakfast was very good. Plentiful and tasty. I did have to send my plate back once for a poached egg that was actually cold. Clearly it had been pre-cooked and kept in ice water. I guess that happens.

Don't forget that Sandwich is a very small village / town indeed and the local restaurants get booked early. We did fancy the Thai and one or two other places but when it came to it there was no room for us on the Saturday night. Book early to avoid disappointment.

All in all a very good two night stay. If I was ever back in Sandwich I wouldn't hesitate to stay at The Bell

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple