New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Excellent food, service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of St Peter's - CLOSED

St Peter's
Cuisines: British, European
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Sandwich, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

Beautiful food, couldn't fault it - but I agree with JonSpeed - the service was very disappointing and let the side down completely. It wasn't so much a long wait, more a lack of warmth/enthusiasm from the waitress, and a general air of disinterest. I will go back because overall it was a lovely meal, but hope things have improved front-of-house...

• Visited May 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Reading
“Poor service, mediocre food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

After reading a few reviews on the internet I had good feelings about this restaurant. I'm not sure whether it was a bad night or that the restaurant has changed in the last month or so, but it's a very disappointing experience at the moment. The waitress came and took the order relatively quickly, and made sure to place bread on the table. She asked if we wanted water, and proceeded to plonk down a bottle of expensive mineral water (we assumed she meant "tap", not "designer").

The starters came out relatively quickly, (about 10 - 15 min) and were quite good. Exactly what a starter should be: small but full of flavour - getting you ready for a main course. And that's where the major problem came in: we had to wait over 45 min for our mains. I had a quiet word with the waitress asking whether there was a problem in the kitchen, but all this resulted in was the manager coming over to our table and giving us a miniature tirade about the timings of when it was "called" and when it was cooked.

To be honest, she was mildly aggressive, very confrontational and downright rude. It put a very negative atmosphere on the rest of the evening, and made us feel very unwanted. She didn't offer a free bottle of wine, dessert or anything - not even an apology, she point-blank refused to admit any fault! (Whilst I agree the customer is not *always* right, they do at least always have *some* point!)

The mains (once they arrived) were decidedly average. I had the pork belly with various other bits of pork on it - I nice idea, but it lacked texture. Maybe if they'd cooked the fat to make crackling to add a bit of "crisp" and an extra dimension...I'm not a chef by any means, but I do know that meals need to have excitement and depth.
(It's also worth noting that unless you fork out another £3 or so for a side dish you will not be full as the portions are a little on the small side.)

For dessert we had the cheeseboard, which was also very average. The brie/camembert was very acrid and bitter, but the rest of the cheeses were more palatable. We didn't try coffees or after dinner drinks, but the menu did offer a lot of promise in that respect.

It seems like a shame because the management team clearly have a passion for food, and have the right ideals - they're just not quite "there" yet. Unless of course we happened to catch them on a seriously "off" day. Overall I would give them another chance should I hear good things in the future, but would advise staying well clear until they get themselves sorted (and the manageress becomes a little bit less confrontational).

• Visited May 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank JonSpeed
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fabulous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

We try to eat here every week and we have not been disappointed once - we're so lucky to have St Peter's on our doorstep.

1 Thank Madmatilda
Worth
“Very good quality food and menu”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

This has become my regular restaurant in Sandwich. The menu is varied and the food consistently excellent. I also like the way the chef subtley varies the menu week by week and all courses are equally good, so I now have three courses every time! The staff are very friendly and welcoming too. I have no hesitattion in recommneding this restaurant.

• Visited April 2012
London
“Well worth a visit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

We had dinner at this newly opened restaurant during a short trip to Sandwich. Although the menu is limited in choice and predominately uses the "secondary cuts" the cooking was of an excellent standard and the food was expertly presented. The three course menu was reasonably priced at £19.50 with wines upwards from £15.
The décor was of a good standard, having recently been furnished with a pleasing mixture of “the old and new”.
Service was very good ….informal yet professional.

We will return on our next visit to Sandwich.

• Visited March 2012