All reviews step back in time living museum quirky hotel jane bishop hotel inspector bygone era museum pieces sunday lunch cream tea on display time warp character and charm four poster afternoon tea well worth a visit scones chain hotel
Reviewed 9 April 2018

My husband and I took our elderly Mums for afternoon tea at the hotel as a late Mother's Day present. The hotel was a perfect venue for two ladies in their 80s as they loved the 1940s feel and the museum and nic nacs on display. We each made our own choice of sandwiches rather than have a selection and they were all lovely. The fruit scones were enormous and the fresh strawberries delicious. Whilst the cakes were not fancy as you might expect for afternoon tea, we had chocolate brownie and lemon sponge which were very tasty. One small criticism is that proper clotted cream would have been much nicer than squirty cream.

Room tip: We didn't stay, just used the restaurant.
Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 5 April 2018

Easter weekend break away with my partner. What can I say... like stepping back in time! We were checked on to the 2nd floor where the museum is situated and is not to be missed. Get the lift up for the full experience.

From the bar area to the dining room, the reception to the hallways, the place is covered with fascinating little trinkets and memorabilia from past generations. The owners vision really is something to be in awe of and the story of how they eventually acquired the hotel we really enjoyed discovering.

It may look a little further out but it's only a 5 min taxi ride or a casual 20 minute walk along the coast into town. If you do fancy the walk you could always stop off nearly halfway at a bar like Radio Margate for a Curious Brew?

If you're more into your chain hotels I totally understand. The consistency and familiarity each time you stay somewhere is great but if you were to give this place a go just once I'd put money on it you'll reconsider your future stays elsewhere.

Any negative reviews please ignore - they simply didn't appreciate the charm of this hotel!

P.S. I wish I remembered their name but a big shout out to the lovely lady on reception during the day on 31/03 & 01/04. She was extremely friendly, well informed about the hotel & the surrounding area and we felt she couldn't have done more for us.

Room tip: Ask to be placed on the museum floor and make sure you try the lift once or twice as well!
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Donal14
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Great Hotel. Like stepping back in time. The Walpole bay hotel is a living museum, with interesting artifacts at every turn. wonderful staff and service We had dinner on our first night very good food and service breakfast was also very good. Will definitely be back.

Date of stay: March 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Zippyoo7
Reviewed 21 March 2018

Our second stay here. We will be back, I cant get enough of this place. It allows you to be in a time that you cant find anywhere else. Its like another world. Its so comfortable too. The restaurant food is really well cooked and so fresh. Lovely fresh fish and seasonable vegetables, cooked to perfection. Some people may see a few imperfections here and class them as tatty, to me I call it charm and character, I like things that are slightly worn at the edges, but are able to tell me a story. The Walpole certainly does this. Also the staff are excellent and very friendly. Also had a cream tea on the veranda, this was delicious - I could sit on that veranda all day ! We will be back at the end of the year, love this place so much.

Date of stay: February 2018
2  Thank Foxyface
Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

Family do.
This place is amaxing.staff amazing.
Riom 205 is my favourite the bed so comfortable and always warm and cosy .
Quirky beautiful hotel.
Old but spotlessly clean.
Afternoon tea needs refining.
Cakes too big scones too big .
.bread too thick.
Fillings so tasty .
Staff lovely
Tea great .
I love the walpole bay hotel x

Trip type: Travelled with family