All reviews royal engineers a family run hotel bar meals bridal suite chatham dockyard three star full english family room reception staff budget hotel included breakfast restaurant staff pleasant stay friendly hotel tea and coffee coach trip shower room
Reviewed 2 September 2018 via mobile

We spent a night here after a beach weekend with our son. We liked it so much we booked for 5 nights next year before we even left! My husband even said he spent time in places that were five star but not as nice.
All the staff here were very attentive, particularly the waiters at the restaurant. They couldn’t do enough for our little one. The only small thing I’d say would be that there isn’t much choice on the dinner menu, but there are plenty of places to eat elsewhere or even room service.
The rooms are very comfortable and clean, and even a fan if you need it.
Really cannot wait to return next year!

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
stephendegiorgio, Manager at The King Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you for your recent review of the King Charles Hotel
A returning guest is always the best review we can ask for. We look forward to welcoming you back next year.

Reviewed 31 August 2018

Have been spending the summer visiting family across the uk and this was one of the best places we stayed in. After growing up in Gillingham it was lovely to see this was one of the places that hasn’t changed much a real return to my youth

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family

Thank you for your recent review of the King Charles Hotel
As a family run business, we do try to keep the hotel independent and not become just another corporate hotel where the guest is nothing but a room number. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and returning to Gillingham after all these years must have been an experience!

Reviewed 28 August 2018

I have been to a few tribute nights at this hotel, the last one was a 70's night. Well my recollection of 70's music didnt include the choices played, in fact it was the same music as played every other time I have been to the tribute nights. The food was abysmal, three of my group including me felt very sick after eating, we had different meals too. We were quite frankly bored stiff and left about an hour after eating, which is when we all began feeling queesy. My suggestion would be to buy a new collection of music and take more care with the food served. Wont be going back.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled on business
stephendegiorgio, Manager at The King Charles Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2018

Thank you for your recent review of the King Charles Hotel
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your tribute night with us, but I find it strange that you have waited two months before writing this review.
There were over 200 people at the event, and I do not accept your accusation that the food caused you to feel sick.
The tribute night was billed as a 70’s tribute, and the live act played over an hour of nonstop 70’s music. The rest of the night is controlled by the DJ, and he always plays a mixture of music throughout the night. If you left an hour after eating, then you would not have even seen the band, nor heard more than 30 minutes of the DJ set!
We have been running our tribute nights very successfully for twenty years, and the fact that our guests keep returning is testament to the food, the DJ and the service we provide.

Reviewed 28 August 2018

Stayed at this hotel with Alfa Travel on their Historic Houses of Kent tour. The hotel was clean modern and comfotable. Myself and my friend had a lovely twin room with a spacious wet-room on the ground floor. Exactly what we had requested. The staff were superb especially our server Leigh so pleasant a credit to the hotel, reception - thank you for showing us dinosaurs how to connect to wifi and the russian lady on the bar who we observed had impressive customer service skills. Well done! All the staff were so friendly welcoming and nothing was too much trouble. Have to commend the meals - breakfast was either a selection of cereals toast etc and a full english with quality locally sourced produce. Hot and appetising. 3 course home-cooked evening meals delicious. The chicken and ham pie was to die for. We thought the hotel was wonderful and have to give it 5 stars as it was a pleasure to stay there. Thank you.

Stayed: August 2018

Thank you for your recent review of the King Charles Hotel
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and your visit to Kent with Alfa coaches. I hope we will see you again in the future.

Reviewed 24 August 2018 via mobile

We recently hired one of the smaller function rooms for a joint Birthday party along with a number of bedrooms for guests to stay.
The Britannia suite (aforementioned function room) was fairly small but reasonably priced, although I would not recommend hiring this function room in the summer months as their is no windows or air conditioning so the room felt very close and uncomfortable, particularly during the recent hot weather.

As for the rooms, we hired 2 suites and a family room for £375 including breakfast for 7 people and in general the rooms were well presented and comfortable, if perhaps in need of a little regeneration fairly soon as the spar bath suite has not been updated since we last stayed in it in May 2012..

Bar prices were fairly expensive (according to the 80 plus guests at the party) for the quality of the venue but all in all we had a very pleasant stay and would indeed stay again........but our advise to others would be perhaps not to use the smaller function room unless your event is very intimate....

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family

Thank you for your recent review of the King Charles Hotel
We do have various function rooms at the hotel, and we always insist that the function room is viewed before booking so that you can make sure it is suitable for your event.
I think it is always nice when you can stay in the same venue as your function, as this increases the whole party experience into the following morning, when you can enjoy our complimentary breakfast with the rest of your party.