US$ 177
US$ 205
US$ 109
Hotels.com
Savings alert! 23% below average rates

The price you found is 23% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 142/night.

Royal Esplanade Hotel(Ryde)(Great Value!)
US$ 110
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
Yelf's Hotel(Ryde)(Great Value!)
US$ 113
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
All reviewssunday lunchen suite facilitiesfrench doorsbar opensbygone erahome cookedsea walloverlooking the solentisle of wightseaview villagesitting roomstunning locationpublic roomspuddingvintagemintsvegetables
Reviewed 14 September 2017

We stayed here two nights. The hotel has collected much memorabilia which is in many of the public rooms. It focuses on the British marine history, A friendly hospitable family run this hotel. It does need some updating but perhaps that is the appeal for some visitors. The sea view rooms are undeniably the ones to ask for. We spent a lot of time just watching the shipping into and out of Southampton and Portsmouth.
The hotel seems to grow on you when you get used to it. Do not expect en-suite facilities.

Room Tip: Top floor sea view rooms!!
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 August 2017

There’s a fine line between charmingly old fashioned and in need of TLC - and The Northbank, on my visit earlier this summer, definitely fell the wrong side of it.
We were expecting the hotel to be quirky, but when we arrived, at about 5pm on a wet, drizzly afternoon, the place was like the Marie Celeste - no one to be seen anywhere. We wandered around and eventually found a bell at reception which we rang. Nothing happened. After five minutes we rang again and at last someone appeared from the depths. With no apology for the wait she handed us our key, with a slightly brusque “top floor on the left”. As we headed for the stairs she called after us
“You might want to turn on the heater in your room”.
She was right, it was freezing. I had to keep my coat on until the electric heater had taken the edge off the chill. There was no central heating, just a very rusty night storage heater on the landing outside. It was a wet, dim day and the room felt bleak and cheerless. Furniture was dark varnished wood - and although the room was clean, the window, looking over the sea, had a badly cracked pane with the wind whistling through, ancient double glazing (on only part of the window) and spiders’ webs around the catch. The glass was so salt-caked that the sea view, the chief asset of the hotel, was salt-caked and grimy. My husband said, gloomily, that it reminded him of places he’d stayed in on hockey tours in the 1980s.
We knew in advance that the room wasn’t en suite, though there was a basin in our room. Unfortunately the light over it was broken and the dim ceiling light was at the other end of the room, so trying to put on makeup or shave before dinner was a hit and miss affair.
The shared bathrooms down the corridor were clean, but had no basin - so you had to wash your hands in the bath.
We didn’t eat dinner at the hotel so I can’t comment on the food. Service the next day was much friendlier and breakfast was fine, though the windows in the dining room were so steamed up we couldn’t see the sea view or garden. Perhaps if we’d had hot sunny weather so that we could sit in the garden we’d have felt differently about the place. Or if it had been, say, £70 a night. But to be charged £100, as we were, felt like a not-so-charmingly old-fashioned rip off.

Room Tip: Opt for the en-suite room if it's available
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2017

The hotel is quite scruffy and the room I stayed in was much the same. It is a friendly hotel, which its only plus point. Cleaning up does not seem to be important. I'm not sure that I would want to go there again.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 April 2017

Three generations of the family welcome you to this Regency hotel set on the sea wall overlooking the Solent. This is a wonderful period building lovingly cared for with traditional high quality carpet throughout and freshly painted surfaces everywhere. There are many cherished period features and some aspects recall the seaside hotel of the 1950's - including Wood's Iris crockery and immaculate shared bathrooms.

Cooking on an Aga produces traditional breakfasts to order and pre-booked "slow food" evening meals from carefully sourced ingredients.

The owning family are keen to advise on all aspects of your visit to the Island and have a wealth of knowledge about all that passes by on the Solent in full view of the dining room, lounge and bar. The bar opens directly onto the garden and its secret steps and door to the sea wall path.

Room Tip: Excellent sea views from some rooms - a couple have luxury en-suite facilities and a view.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 April 2017

I had an enforced 3 day holiday on the Isle of Wight as my car broke down and as I didn't want to spend too much on staying there I went to the Northbank. It is all from a bygone era that you feel like you've stepped back into simple seaside English holidays from the 1950s, but it's so completely charming! It's also a VERY popular hotel as it's pretty cheap compared to the fancy boutique hotels nearby charging over £200 for a single room.

The hotel is a Victorian building next to the water at the edge of Seaview village. Not all bedrooms have their own bathroom, which worried me at first, but the bathrooms were absolutely spotlessly clean and my room had a sea view. Breakfast is great, traditional but plenty of it and the service is very good and friendly. I hired a bicycle to get around and the hotel's proprietor let me keep it in his garage overnight. It's that extra personal service that you don't get in a fancier hotel that keeps the Northbank a fondly remembered experience and I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view is possible.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo