All reviews en suite facilities french doors bar opens bygone era sea wall isle of wight overlooking the solent seaview village sitting room public rooms stunning location kippers top floor vintage allotment lounge aga
Reviewed 2 April 2017

I had an enforced 3 day holiday on the Isle of Wight as my car broke down and as I didn't want to spend too much on staying there I went to the Northbank. It is all from a bygone era that you feel like you've stepped back into simple seaside English holidays from the 1950s, but it's so completely charming! It's also a VERY popular hotel as it's pretty cheap compared to the fancy boutique hotels nearby charging over £200 for a single room.

The hotel is a Victorian building next to the water at the edge of Seaview village. Not all bedrooms have their own bathroom, which worried me at first, but the bathrooms were absolutely spotlessly clean and my room had a sea view. Breakfast is great, traditional but plenty of it and the service is very good and friendly. I hired a bicycle to get around and the hotel's proprietor let me keep it in his garage overnight. It's that extra personal service that you don't get in a fancier hotel that keeps the Northbank a fondly remembered experience and I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view is possible.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank camerachica
Reviewed 11 January 2017

Sunday lunch here is always a delight. We enjoyed a traditional feast of roast beef and Yorkshire pudding with plentiful vegetables and roasties preceded by homemade soup and with home cooked puddings to follow. We had a view of the sea over the garden and continued to enjoy this in the lounge where we relaxed after lunch for coffee and mints.
Highly recommended
We raised a glass or two of local Isle of Wight wine to my recently departed mum who loved staying in this special hotel.

Room Tip: Overlooking the sea and you go to sleep to the waves lapping
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 October 2016

Unusual, family run hotel in this most select of Island locations with amazing views of the Solent. Very friendly owners and superb atmosphere, other staff very polite and helpful and food also very good. Original 1950's bar with superb views into the garden and down to the waterfront, drinks can also be taken in the lounge complete with vintage radiogram. Very 'English' and restful, nothing is too much trouble and all are made very welcome. I was very pleased to visit and would definitely return.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2016 via mobile

We had been prewarned that a stay at this hotel would be different and it certainly lived up to its name
Shared bathroom and toilets that seem to have had little updating for many years
The breakfast was the best part of the stay with a full English self service available

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2016

If big chain conformity is your thing, then The Northbank may NOT be for you. The hotel commands without dispute the best position in Seaview on a steep bluff, it is a characterful Edwardian retreat. We had two rooms - a refurbed Seaview large ensuite and a smaller unrefurbished twin - there is an undeniable difference between the two types of rooms. The hotel has a charming bar overlooking the beach serving lovely well made drinks including delicious Mermaid Gin. The towels are big and fluffy. Breakfast is fresh, local and good. Dinner is very good - all homemade and well served with two veg - but not cheap. Bed linen is nice. The owners and family are such kind and genuine people who want to please and are all really involved with the hotel.
If there were just a couple of things that we honestly missed in this home-from-home it was a duvet (v blanket / sheeted bed), fresh fruit salad for breakfast and more coffee in big mugs - as we are addicts - but perhaps that's just us!!! We will certainly be back and are looking forward to seeing more red squirrels in the garden!

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family