“Great weekend break”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Tring
London, United Kingdom
“Great weekend break”
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Wanting to have a night away with the other half but without wanting to travel too far, I did a search of possible options within my search parameters and this was the venue I opted for. Well I wasn't disappointed.
Set in lovely grounds, about 12 miles off the M25 (Junc 20 for A41) is Pendley Manor. From the A41 its well sign-posted to the hotel and upon arrival we found ample parking space. We had opted from the dinner, bed, breakfast tariff as we wanted a base rather than an exploring break and the checking in process was simple and handled by professional, efficient front of house staff. The hotel itself retains a lot of the original structure but has obviously been added to over the years but done so in such a way as not to lose too much of its original charm. There is a porter service should you require assistance with your bags otherwise there are ramps and lifts to make easy access to first/second floors. We had a four poster room on the first floor and the room itself was spacious with plenty of storage space. Some may say the decor was a little tired, but to be honest I just found it to me in keeping with the hotel's overall personality. The room was well equipped, TV with a limited variety of channels, a trouser press (ours was a bit temperamental but my patient husband soon mastered it!) and tea/coffee facilities. There was a free wi-fi service and the speeds must have been good as we were able to watch the cricket in the morning on my iPad with no interference quality of picture. The bathroom was clean with nice toiletries and a great overhead shower. The only thing I'd point out to ladies is the hairdryer is one of the in-bathroom units. Which would probably dry hair eventually, but would not be any use for styling. So I'd advise to take your own if a hairdryer is needed.
A walk round the grounds before dinner seeing the peacocks was very pleasant and a drink in the comfortable Shakespeares bar added to setting up a very nice evening (an observation I'd make is that the drinks in the bar were a bit on the pricey side). Dinner was taken in the Oak Dining room, which is a lovely airy room with tables to suits various size parties. As we were on the DBB rate, we could choose from a set menu (giving three options per course) or opt to choose from the a la carte, but paying anything over £27.50 which was the dinner rate per person. The food was very good, served by friendly, attentive staff. The wine list was good too - plenty of choice to suit palate and budget.
Had a great nights sleep, no noticeable noise intrusion and a very comfy bed. We had breakfast in our room (modest tray charge of £2 per person) and would thoroughly recommend the full english! Only minor gripe was that the food was just veering towards warm rather than hot. That aside no other issues.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and look forward to coming back to it again. It also offers afternoon tea (looked fab, but we didn't try it ourselves) and also has Spa facilities (again didn't try them so can't comment further)

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
Sunny636 – Thank you for such a positive review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed you enjoyed every aspect of your stay with us. I have noted your helpful observation with regard to the hairdryer.
Thanks again – we look forward to welcoming you back soon
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2012

We have eaten at Pendley Manor before, but this was our first stay. Prior to arrival communication and organisation of our visit was thoroughly efficient and well handled.
The evening meal was excellent ('English' cuisine), the breakfast 'as much as one could eat' style, with a reasonable if not exhaustive range of items to choose from.
Staff were excellent, helpful and friendly throughout the hotel: at reception, in the bar, restaurant... and room service, when Mrs P wanted an ironing board.
Decor in the public spaces is 'Victorian', which appealed more to my partner than myself. The grounds are English country house style, as one might expect.
Accommodation was OK, though a bit dated, tired and faded.
On balance: we had a thoroughly nice time, particularly enhanced by the quality of the staff; for the price paid I'd expect somewhat better rooms.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
11diner11 – Thanks for taking the time to review your visit. I’m pleased that you had a thoroughly nice time and that having dined with us previously you again enjoyed both dinner and breakfast. As always it is great to read that my colleagues were excellent in delivering our ethos of a friendly and helpful service.
We look forward to seeing you again
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Stayed at this hotel for a family gathering,
Beautiful location-sitting out on the lawns with the peacocks walking aroung in the sun,having afternoon tea-what more can you ask!
Staff were very welcoming and helpful especially to my elderly mother-in-law. We had a four poster bedroom which was very large,shame the windows did not open properly,but that was no problem as a fan had been supplied.Must say had the best nights rest in a hotel for ages, bed was very comfortable.
The function was smoothly and expertly executed. The nibbles were delicious and the sit down buffet meal was wonderful,my husband said it was the best sea-bass he has tasted in many years. The room was beautifully decorated and the whole evening went off without any hitches-just enjoyment.
Breakfast this morning was yummy,all the right things - fresh fruit, cooked food and cold food.
Would recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of arranging a wedding or similar.
Would love to stay again.

Room Tip: Ask to look over gardens and not front car park
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank sanbran
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Sandybrandy: Thanks for this lovely review; I’m so pleased that you and your family had a great time with us. I’m afraid that the ubiquitous Health & safety regulations require us to restrict how much windows can be opened. Nevertheless it’s nice to know you had a really good night’s sleep.
Pleased to read that you enjoyed the meal at your family gathering and that breakfast was “Yummy”!
Thanks also for your recognition of my colleagues, such feedback is always appreciated.
As you say : “Beautiful location-sitting out on the lawns with the peacocks walking around in the sun, having afternoon tea-what more can you ask!”
We hope to welcome you back soon
March, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2012

A friend and I stayed here for a Saturday evening as her firm's Dinner Dance was taking place there. First impressions were very good, beautiful grounds & peacocks. Efficient check in and porter on hand to help with our bags. The room was spacious with 2 double beds, after a while you start to notice the decor is a bit scruffy & dated. The bathroom was definitely not 4* but it was clean and functional.
As it bills itself as a Spa Hotel I was really looking forward to enjoying the facilities and what a disappointment.
To get to the gym I had to walk, in my trainers through the pool area, down a couple of corridors. As there was no one else there - I guess other people had given up trying to find it, it was fine but not anything special. After my work out I wanted a sauna so I had to go back through the various corridors, back through the pool area and change in a tiny changing room which opened directly onto the main entrance corridor. Then went back through the swimming pool, through the corridors (which when wearing trainers the dirty carpets didn't bother me but they weren't so pleasant in bare feet) to find the very small sauna. Completely bizarre that anyone could think the layout was workable let alone a 4 * Spa Hotel.
My friend had tried more than a month before our stay to book 3 treatments and no one responded to her email.
It was a very nice venue for a Dinner Dance. The food wasn't overly brilliant but then catering for 100+ guests it seldom is. The service was very good though. I would have liked to have experienced breakfast in the main dining room but we were put in a separate room with my friend's colleagues and attention to detail in there was definitely lacking.
If the leisure facilities had been better I would probably have been tempted to book a stay with my husband so we could enjoy the grounds and try out the restaurant.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Itsysmum
GMpendley, General Manager at Pendley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
• MrsThrog Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us.
I am pleased to read that you found your accommodation to be clean and comfortable and also that you enjoyed the dinner dance which you attended with your friend. I am also grateful for your positive remarks concerning the levels of service that you encountered during your stay.
I am however concerned to read that evidently we failed to respond to your friends e-mail enquiry of a month or so ago regarding booking treatments. Please pass on my apologies, unusual as it is, I would like to get to the bottom of that. Could you let me know your friends e mail addresses so that I can search the system and hopefully ascertain what happened?
Thanks also for you observations regarding the spa facilities – I do agree that the present layout is a bit quirky – really as a consequence of the layout of the building. I will certainly look at additional signage which may be helpful. We are in the process of upgrading the Hotel, a future phase of which will involve a redesign and upgrade of the leisure facilities – your comments in that respect are helpful- thanks.
England
Reviewed 19 March 2012

We are local to the Pendley and have been here for dinner twice in the last few months. It has a very nice ambience and the staff are friendly. We had the special menu the first time which was excellent value and ordered from the a la carte the second. Both times the food was very good. What lets Pendley down though is the quality of the ale and wine served. For this to be a destination restaurant that matches the food and ambience they need to invest in a proper sommelier and a bar manager with a knowledge of their products. They have one ale on, London Pride and it's served at a temperature that is akin to a lager and their wine list is very limited. We ordered a bottle of wine at £45 and it was not good at all, an experienced sommelier or even someone with a mouth and a palate would not serve this. So go for the food, drink lager and cheap wine and you will be happy but not delighted.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Jezuki, Thank you for your review, it’s great to receive positive feedback from our local guests as well as those who come from further afield. Naturally I am pleased to read that you enjoy the ambience of the hotel and particularly that you find the team friendly. Chef asks that I thank you for your kind remarks concerning his food.
Thank you also for your feedback concerning wines and beer.
A number of the team have recently undertaken ( and passed with distinction) the Wine and Spirits Educational Trust Intermediate Certificate which they enjoyed studying for and more importantly will serve to underpin their knowledge, allowing them to be a more confident in recommending suitable wines to our guests.
We currently stock in the region of 50 wines in our cellar, and review the individual bins with our merchant annually, taking into account his advice and equally importantly feedback such as yours in assessing any changes. We hope to introduce some locally produced English wine in the coming months which will be interesting.
In so far as draught beers are concerned, we have relatively recently introduced this product into our Shakespeare bar and tried various beers leading up to the current offer of London Pride and Peroni. The physical structure of the Manor is such that so as to avoid excessive “fobbing”, draught products need to be passed through a” flash cooler”, this is absolutely fine in so far as the Peroni is concerned but getting the Pride right is something of a delicate balancing act, and of course individual preferences also come into play. I will certainly ask the cellar technician to have another look at this but it if fair to say achieving an ambient temperature is not a realistic aspiration.
We do however stock a lovely bottled beer “Side Pocket for a Toad” produced a mile or so away by our local Tring Brewery. – Perhaps I can buy you one when you next visit, I would be interested in your opinion?
Thanks again for your helpful comments – I look forward to meeting you soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tring
19.1 km away
The Penny Farthing Hotel
#2 of 2 in Berkhamsted
18.5 km away
Mercure London North Watford Hunton Park Hotel

Been to Pendley Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK