“Another great visit”
Review of Champneys Tring

Champneys Tring
Reviewed 8 July 2012

I have been to Champneys a number of times (lucky me!) and this was my third visit to Tring. The welcome and check in is second to none and everyone is treated as a VIP. if you book in advance you can get up to 30% off which makes it a really good deal. Our room was lovely overlooking the gardens and the inclusive treatments were very good. A couple of things that didn't make my stay five star this time was that it seems Champneys have cut back on staff as the resort wasn't that busy but there was zero availability for additional treatments which was very different to previous experiences here. Also when we sat down to dinner there was hardly time to pause for breath before the next course arrived which made me feel that they wanted us out as quickly as possible. A couple of tips too, with the inclusive treatments you can upgrade to a different massage or facial and pay the difference so a 55 min facial may cost an extra £15 which is good value for money and given the change in staffing I would pre book any additional treatments prior to arrival to ensure availability. Enjoy!

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 26 June 2012

Background :-

I had a full knee replacement on March 8th, and four days later I was diagnosed with blood clots, as a result of the surgery, on both my lungs. This resulted in an additional eight days in hospital dealing with warfarin and correcting the thickness of my blood. Eventually after twelve days, relieved I went home. I was rushed back in three days later after blood leaking into the back of my knee. Surgery within 24 hours of admission and another five day stay. Recovery was going well, but in May I was diagnosed with cellulitis of my “operated” leg and this resulted in two separate admissions and nine days in hospital having intra venous antibiotics.
I have now been advised that I cannot fly until at least September, and have to remain on penicillin for another six months.

Present:-
My wife urgently needed a holiday, so she has gone to Turkey with her mother for a week. I then booked Champneys Tring for a three day/two night break, I needed the relaxation big time.

Today – June 26th :-
11.30 Arrived – checked in with receptionist Hannah Jones to room 32 in the main building. I was informed that the room was unavailable for two hours, normal check in a 2.00 pm. I wandered around the resort, sat in the sun and took a light lunch. At1.30 went to room 32 to find it being decorated and obviously unfit for occupation. Arrived at reception to inform Hannah about the situation. She was unaware that the room was under maintenance and unavailable . Alex Robertson (deputy operations manager), manager in charge came to Hannah’s assistance. Mr Robertson accepted responsibility and apologised but was prepared to give me an upgrade to room 23. We went to the room, it was filthy, dusty and obviously had not been prepared for use. The dust was so bad, I could write my name on the bedside table. Mr Robertson offered me another room no 20. It was a large room with a small four poster double bed, not brilliantly clean but far better than room 23. I unpacked, set up the safe and lay on the bed to look at my iPad using the resort’s Wi-Fi (available throughout the resort!) Unfortunately not in room 20, it had worked in the rest of the rooms as I had wandered around, even worked in room 23. I picked up the phone to speak to reception but the line was dead. I used my mobile to phone reception and was told that Mr Robertson would be attending my problem.
After twenty minutes I got dressed, packed and walked down to reception, informing them that I was leaving. Within five minutes a full refund was processed and utterly disappointed I left and drove home, NEVER to return

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Mike S
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Spent the most amazing day at Champneys. From the moment we arrived we were treated like VIP's. The set up and the service is outstanding. The staff are friendly and proffessional. As for the treatments - i felt like i had been away for days. The grounds and the mansion are beautiful. Cant wait to go back. Ideal present for any special lady. Only regret didnt book the night!! next time..

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 June 2012

I booked a pamper day with my Mum before my wedding. The weather was glorious so we sat outside on the sun loungers and enjoyed the views of the beautiful gardens. The staff are courteous and professional. The treatments are luxurious. The lunch was great, there's lots of different foods available. We didn't want to leave!

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank LaurenABond
Reviewed 11 June 2012

This is an excellent hotel by any standard, with all the advantages of a health spa as well. In fact, if someone was not keen on exploiting the spa aspects they could still have a good time, though they would be missing out on some valuable therapies. The facilities are really outstanding, with stylishly decorated and furnished historic public rooms and a well-designed modern leisure and fitness section. The food was very good indeed and as we tucked in it was good to know that it was healthy too! Although the hotel was busy, as might be expected at a weekend, the atmosphere was calm and relaxing, with staff efficient, attentive and friendly. There were plenty of 'free' fitness and health classes included in our two night package, as well as opportunities,though no pressure at all, to purchase additional services. Prices in the shop and of the spa products that could be purchased were very reasonable. No negatives at all - we only wish that we could return soon.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank SarahRosalind678913
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tring
3.1 km away
7.8 km away
The Watermill Hotel
The Watermill Hotel
#9 of 9 in Hemel Hempstead

Been to Champneys Tring? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK