“Gross..”

Ranked #49 of 60 Restaurants in Letchworth
Price range: US$ 20 - US$ 33
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The team behind Letchworth’s Garden Lodge Hotel seem to know just what us Brits want – traditional English countryside styling and good, spice-laden Indian food. And that’s exactly what you get at Spice Garden, the restaurant open to the public as well as paying guests. Behind the olde worlde whitewash and slate roofed exterior you’ll find a dining room with a hint of the colonial about it. Swagged curtains frame the windows while white dressed tables are lined with dark wood chairs while greenery bursts forth from all corners. Look to the menu and you’ll find an extensive selection of favourite Indian dishes including exciting tandoori sizzlers.
Reviewed 21 September 2017

Where to start..

Hotel: I did not stay there myself but I visited a friend who was put in there by the council for 2 weeks as a stop gap with a 1 year old child. all I can say is as soon as i set foot in the room i wanted to have a shower. The mould all over the windows and corners of ceiling, the bathroom with filthy.. it was literally looking like it has been abandoned for a few years.. absolutely disgusting..

Restaurant / Takeaway:
Ordered takeaway a couple of times from this place about 5 years ago, I used to see it as a luxury alternative to my usual places in Letchworth, i assumed luxury because of the extortionate prices, however the quality of food was below average, bland and just generally poor quality.

Needless to say, after seeing how the hotel is ABOVE the restaurant, i'd never recommend anyone to stay OR eat at this place.

Reviewed 12 June 2017

Stayed here with for work with three others and arrived around 2pm due to an early finish. We were told by the guy who was working there that the rooms were still being cleaned and would be another 20 mins. We asked to wait in the reception/waiting area only to be told to wait in our vehicles!
The stairs were filthy and hadn't been hoovered in a while. My room was a single room which was really small and had a really small tv, reckon an ipad is bigger!There was no light covering in the bathroom with the live fitting exposed to condensation and there was damp around the bathroom window.
The outside was really dilapidated with letters missing from the sign for the hotel and the windows were in need of a good redec.
The staff member was really miserable and downbeat. Should get a new job I think!
A vile place.

Reviewed 21 August 2016

The staff were rude; the rooms and furniture were falling apart; the floors were dirty, especially the stairs and dirty towels were found left under beds. The toilet brush holder was full of 'dirty' water, it was close to town, but we were made to pay before seeing the room. Please don't stay here, I could not wait to leave.

1  Thank Kirstin B
Reviewed 26 July 2016 via mobile

I couldn't agree more with these terrible reviews as me and my ex boyfriend had a very similar experience when we were staying in the bed and breakfast. The room was dirty and dusty, the staff were rude to my boyfriend telling him to hurry up with his breakfast on the morning we checked out and on top of that they gave us a twin room instead of a double room and they refused to move us to a double room even though the hotel wasn't exactly booked up with guests and they didn't even apologise even though they could see we were boyfriend and girlfriend and there was no one around to serve breakfast in the morning at the time we wanted it and we were starving and it took ages for someone to finally serve up some breakfast and even that wasn't anything amazing and I could have done a nicer breakfast myself at home. I think this place should be shut down as I think it's an absolute disgrace and I dread to think what their restaurant is like?!

1  Thank oldfashionedgirl28
Reviewed 20 June 2016

Had to go to Stevenage for work with a colleague, could not get into Stevenage hotels so booked two rooms here. Very basic rooms and not very clean, hot water in bathroom was tepid, my colleagues shower tray overflowed when you tried to use it.
The staff were indifferent and made out that they did not understand us, we had booked continental breakfast at £7.00 each for two days, but was told that breakfast did not start until 8 am, we needed it at 7 am and asked if we could cancel it. They told us that we couldn't as it had already been purchased.
The night staff manager was incredibly noisy at night, kept opening and closing doors all night long, on the second night I got up at 3 am to complain because he was stopping me sleeping, did not get a good response from him.
When we checked out we asked for our bill and they said it would be sent (still waiting for it) and that payment had already been taken. When we got back to our company we found out that instead of taking a deposit of £118.00 as had been shown on the booking confirmation they had taken the whole amount of £264.00 off our card a week before we had even arrived.
Would not recommend this place at all very overpriced, rude staff and dirty.

4  Thank nicola r