All reviews swimming pool glasshouse restaurant cellar bar red letter bunk beds glass house family room peppa pig world lovely hotel booked this hotel breakfast and dinner travel cot paultons park waterloo arms four poster duty manager both nights
Reviewed 28 December 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for a family wedding, room was cosy and comfortable. Staff were lovely , ordered us taxis and gave directions. We had a wonderful breakfast , full English . Location is spot on , very quaint and near lovely walks . Would definitely stay again .

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 December 2017

I booked on a special offer which often means a quieter time for the hotel and looking at a recent review I can see that if it was full, they might struggle to offer an acceptable service unless they bring in extra staff. I tend to go for quiet periods as that suits me fine and usually this pays off as the staff have the time to do a good job and attend to the customer need. Reception was pleasant with a warm welcome and if the room was missing something, they soon sorted it. On my first night, I did notice that dinner took the best part of two hours and some of my fellow diners had waited a while. I always reserve my slot in advance so they know when to expect me. That said, there wasn't much to do in the evenings so I wasn't in a rush and on the second night got chatting to a couple at a nearby table then spent the rest of the evening in or around the bar chatting - even sitting outside as one of them smoked but the weather was so mild even at 22:00hrs late November, it didn't matter.
They did have a problem with the hot water one day as the boiler was being serviced and this took a bit longer than expected and the pool, which is the best in the area was a bit chilly. Lucky my room shower was electric!
The food was good throughout and the only downside for me was this so-called 'contemporary' dining where you don't have a table cloth or even decent napkins.
While you may just about get away with this in a town hotel, I was appalled to hear the management are planning to roll this out to the other three hotels in the group and I earnestly suggest this is a terrible idea.
Forest Lodge is a town based hotel but the other three are very much country hotels and this 'town chic' nonsense would be so out of place and crass in the other hotels in the New Forest Hotels Group and be a real disappointment to anyone who likes a bit of old fashioned(?) quality and service with table coverings and decent linen napkins at dinner. (Paper at other times no problem).
I am booked in to one of the other hotels in the group in January and will be checking that standards are being maintained!
Usual warning to anyone on a budget and part of the DBB package, they now add a ten per cent service charge to the food prices so, if you intend to allow this to stand, you need to be aware that this is part of your £25 allowance.
Personally I do not agree with this at all and make my own arrangements at the end of my stay. This also allows me to include other staff not connected with the restaurant who also provide a good service.
I expect I may return at some future date if the right offer comes up but in keeping with my tradition, I hope to stay at all of the others over the next year or so in rotation.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Vinylman101
Reviewed 25 December 2017 via mobile

My wife and I recently visited this hotel with friends for our Christmas meal. The staff were attentive and helpful and I thought the service was good, especially considering the restaurant was very busy (Christmas season). Okay, so the portions could've been bigger; but the meal was tasty and hot - no mean feat considering there was approximately 80 people eating at the same time! Afterwards we were shown through to the lounge for mince pies and coffee: probably not enough room here for everyone as it was a very busy night but I felt the staff did the best they could, and anyway this was only a minor inconvenience whilst the tables were cleared for the after-dinner disco. Overall my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and would definitely recommend this venue for future Christmas parties.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Shay M
Lina M, General Manager at Forest Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2018

Dear Shay M,

thank you for your great review, especially about the staff. Also, we will take your comments on board and appreciate the feedback regarding Christmas offerings. We look forward to welcome you back latest next Christmas!

Reviewed 12 December 2017 via mobile

I stayed here for an overnight whilst in the area visiting all their hotels for business
They have some really lovely places, Forest Lodge is a good spot with a decent restaurant and nice rooms
The rooms are a reasonable size with everything in them TV, WiFi, coffee facilities, iron and desk to work on.
The bed is comfortable Millbrook bed with a topper which I slept well in! Ok sized bathroom with shower and bath (good shower pressure)

I eat dinner Mackrell salad starter £6 and Bouillabaisse £17 all tasty and breakfast was buffet plus order hot dishes
Good rate B&B £64.00 and the staff where really friendly

Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business

Dear Clive1508,

thank you for your lovely review and we are pleased to hear that you loved the bed and our restaurant. Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back again as soon as you are around this area again.

Reviewed 4 December 2017

Having never been tempted to make the effort to write a review it needed to be something spectacularly bad to persuade me to. But this place managed it.

The room looked ok at first glance, however the toilet did not flush and the shower did not work!!
No other rooms available apparently!

The main problem with this place (and i can see from other reviews its not a new problem) is the lack of staff.
We were a group of friends for someones 40th so were pretty relaxed about everything and not kicking up too much fuss. But dinner was a 2.5 hour wait.
There were families with little children in tears waiting to be fed as they were so tired.
To be fair to the waiting staff they were doing their best, but there is only so many times you can be told you will be served in another 15 minutes.
Everything seemed to take so much longer than it should do.
Is it that difficult to just empty enough staff so people can eat within an hour?
Its not a particularly cheap place after all.

By the end of the evening we all felt extremely let down by the service.
Upon checkout the next day, the vast majority of people were refusing to pay for their meals. The poor girl at checkout didn't quite know what hit her.

When paying in advance for this room I booked online on a special 'dinner included' deal, but upon checking my bill after I found that I had actually been charged again.
Trying to contact the hotel afterwards to complain was an act of futility.
They even charged an extra £1 to my CC after swiping it and saying it was just to have it on record and no charge will be made.

Funniest part was the poor couple being shown around in the morning of my checkout to potentially use the hotel for their wedding. They took one look at the queue of people checking out and complaining and swiftly made their exit.

Its quite to actually sum up how appallingly bad the service was at this hotel, and then the fact they simply won't give any aftercare.
Its a shame as it could be a nice place to say...if they would hire enough staff!!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank toffeeman102
Lina M, General Manager at Forest Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2017

Dear toffeeman102,

thank you for your detailed review. I am very concerned to see a review like this, especially after so many good reviews on service, staff and quality of food recently. I am ever so sorry that you have had a disappointing stay with us in October and I have looked into the time you were staying with us, which was unfortunately a month without management in the building. We have certainly improved many of the topics you mentioned and please contact me directly under ForestGM@newforesthotels.co.uk if you decide to give us another chance. I do hope to welcome you back again and wish you a nice rest of the week.

Lina