“Christmas brek”
Review of Forest Lodge Hotel

Forest Lodge Hotel
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Lyndhurst
Reviewed 29 December 2017

The staff could not be faulted but unfortunately there was no Christmas atmosphere. Apart from a Christmas tree, nothing. The dining room tables didn’t have table cloths even for Christmas lunch. Although it said in the confirmation booking there was entertainment on Boxing Day there wasn’t and a member of the staff said there never is. Also on Boxing Day all the tea and coffee facilities were taken away and as far as it went Christmas was over. We booked 3 day full board but it wasn’t really. We had breakfast and evening meal Boxing Day and tea and cakes for the afternoon but the cake was ginger slab cake and two similar but not individual fancy cakes as one would expect. As for cleanliness it could have been better. The curtains were very dusty and don’t appear to have ever been vacuumed. I know the hotel caters for dogs but it could be vacuumed In the common areas better and more regular. We visited a sister hotel in the area and their dining room had table cloths and Christmas decoration on the tables but alas that also hadn’t been vacuumed. It should be noted that dog owners also like standards to be met.

Room Tip: If you have an older dog be sure to book a ground floor room because there are a lot of stairs
Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SheilaN N

Reviewed 28 December 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for a family wedding, room was cosy and comfortable. Staff were lovely , ordered us taxis and gave directions. We had a wonderful breakfast , full English . Location is spot on , very quaint and near lovely walks . Would definitely stay again .

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 December 2017

I booked on a special offer which often means a quieter time for the hotel and looking at a recent review I can see that if it was full, they might struggle to offer an acceptable service unless they bring in extra staff. I tend to go for quiet periods as that suits me fine and usually this pays off as the staff have the time to do a good job and attend to the customer need. Reception was pleasant with a warm welcome and if the room was missing something, they soon sorted it. On my first night, I did notice that dinner took the best part of two hours and some of my fellow diners had waited a while. I always reserve my slot in advance so they know when to expect me. That said, there wasn't much to do in the evenings so I wasn't in a rush and on the second night got chatting to a couple at a nearby table then spent the rest of the evening in or around the bar chatting - even sitting outside as one of them smoked but the weather was so mild even at 22:00hrs late November, it didn't matter.
They did have a problem with the hot water one day as the boiler was being serviced and this took a bit longer than expected and the pool, which is the best in the area was a bit chilly. Lucky my room shower was electric!
The food was good throughout and the only downside for me was this so-called 'contemporary' dining where you don't have a table cloth or even decent napkins.
While you may just about get away with this in a town hotel, I was appalled to hear the management are planning to roll this out to the other three hotels in the group and I earnestly suggest this is a terrible idea.
Forest Lodge is a town based hotel but the other three are very much country hotels and this 'town chic' nonsense would be so out of place and crass in the other hotels in the New Forest Hotels Group and be a real disappointment to anyone who likes a bit of old fashioned(?) quality and service with table coverings and decent linen napkins at dinner. (Paper at other times no problem).
I am booked in to one of the other hotels in the group in January and will be checking that standards are being maintained!
Usual warning to anyone on a budget and part of the DBB package, they now add a ten per cent service charge to the food prices so, if you intend to allow this to stand, you need to be aware that this is part of your £25 allowance.
Personally I do not agree with this at all and make my own arrangements at the end of my stay. This also allows me to include other staff not connected with the restaurant who also provide a good service.
I expect I may return at some future date if the right offer comes up but in keeping with my tradition, I hope to stay at all of the others over the next year or so in rotation.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Vinylman101
Reviewed 25 December 2017 via mobile

My wife and I recently visited this hotel with friends for our Christmas meal. The staff were attentive and helpful and I thought the service was good, especially considering the restaurant was very busy (Christmas season). Okay, so the portions could've been bigger; but the meal was tasty and hot - no mean feat considering there was approximately 80 people eating at the same time! Afterwards we were shown through to the lounge for mince pies and coffee: probably not enough room here for everyone as it was a very busy night but I felt the staff did the best they could, and anyway this was only a minor inconvenience whilst the tables were cleared for the after-dinner disco. Overall my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and would definitely recommend this venue for future Christmas parties.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Shay M
Lina M, General Manager at Forest Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2018

Dear Shay M,

thank you for your great review, especially about the staff. Also, we will take your comments on board and appreciate the feedback regarding Christmas offerings. We look forward to welcome you back latest next Christmas!

Many thanks,

Reviewed 12 December 2017 via mobile

I stayed here for an overnight whilst in the area visiting all their hotels for business
They have some really lovely places, Forest Lodge is a good spot with a decent restaurant and nice rooms
The rooms are a reasonable size with everything in them TV, WiFi, coffee facilities, iron and desk to work on.
The bed is comfortable Millbrook bed with a topper which I slept well in! Ok sized bathroom with shower and bath (good shower pressure)

I eat dinner Mackrell salad starter £6 and Bouillabaisse £17 all tasty and breakfast was buffet plus order hot dishes
Good rate B&B £64.00 and the staff where really friendly

Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business

Dear Clive1508,

thank you for your lovely review and we are pleased to hear that you loved the bed and our restaurant. Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back again as soon as you are around this area again.

Many thanks,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyndhurst
0.4 km away
3.4 km away
Woodlands Lodge Hotel
Woodlands Lodge Hotel
#2 of 2 in Woodlands

Been to Forest Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK