“Just stayed for a drink”
Review of Aurum Restaurant

Aurum Restaurant
Ranked #179 of 746 Restaurants in Southend-on-Sea
Description: At Aurum, our cuisine celebrates the best of Essex and the UK and is located in the heart of Southend-on-Sea. Our 60 seater restaurant is open all day for breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner. We take care to collaborate with local suppliers and producers to preserve their traditions and heritage. We follow the cycle of the seasons to bring regional cuisine and, hopefully, preserving what Nature intended. We constantly source and develop our ingredients and techniques to bring high quality, fresh and flavourful dishes to our table. Our menu at Aurum uses the best of the season’s produce and is locally sourced. We aim for it to be a combination of refined gastronomy with delicious flavour but, importantly, for it to be healthy, balanced and exciting for the eye, as well as the palate.
Reviewed 4 April 2018

Had a very nice tour of the restaurant which was lovely empty but lovely My party of five may have stayed for dinner but had a bottle of wine in the bar area , which was very small after moving the bar stools so we could all sit round the table a very rude lady stated what do I do if I need to pass !!! we explained that we would move should she need to get passed , this made us feel uncomfortable but it was really small bar area and the bartender whom was very socailable struggled to get round to serve drinks around the table . When we had the tour of the restaurant we were told seating outside for 50 extra guests I think they would struggle with a full restaurant & outside area to serve the guests who chose to have a drink before dinner the bar area was tiny . The staff stood round arms crossed staring at guests , tolilets had not been finished completely around the doors and a large chunk of mirror out of one of the mirrors .
We did not stay only having one bottle of wine the atmosphere was very awkward , In fact we returned to the royal hotel where atmosphere was very welcoming & staff ware freiendly helpful cocktails are fabulous , will not be rushing back to Seven hotel at all .

6  Thank Dlt123

Reviewed 4 April 2018

One of the best meals we've had in extremely nice surroundings.
The Cote de boeuf was perfectly cooked and delicious as were the starters (scallop) and desserts
The staff were friendly and very helpful - will definitely go again

Reviewed 3 April 2018

After reading a recent article in The Times newspaper, I recently booked and visited the new and highly anticipated Seven Hotel Southend and also dined in the Aurum restaurant for Sunday Brunch.

We started our brunch with some oysters. For mains, I went for the Lamb Shoulder and the wife went for the Hake. The quality, taste and appearance of our dishes were classed similarly to a high-end London Restaurants. Service was delightful with the waiters full of knowledge and suggestions. A Sunday roast menu has been launched which we will be back to explore.

Thank you to the staff of Seven and Aurum for making our stay truly an experience to remember. We will be back and certainly recommend to our friends.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

For the record this is one of the best meals we’ve ever had .... for us it was that good ..... starters of scallop with caviar and duck parfait were both accomplished and beautifully presented .... and the main course of sirloin steaks (Himalayan salt aged Glenhorn) were perhaps the best steaks we have ever eaten .... In my opinion if they were not the absolute best then they were definitely the second best only to the one we shared at Heston Blumental’s Dinner restaurant in Hyde Park (I restaurant name drop only to make a point) ..... I love steak and I love lists so this stuff is important to me !! ..... As I say it gets either the number one or the number two spot !!! ..... I’m lucky and I travel a lot for work and have eaten steak in what are considered some of the best restaurants in the world .... and again I can’t tell you how good this piece of meat was at Aurum .... and how well cooked it was ..... it came with a beautiful shallot sauce and some great chips ..... puddings were good ..... in fact the rhubarb and custard tart my partner had was, in her words, one of the best she has ever had .... The wine list is decent and the prices are incredibly reasonable given how smart the dining room is, and how great the food is ..... The restaurant is new and the service, whilst friendly, is a little hit and miss .... but they have enough staff on so even if they have forgotten you it is easy enough to call someone over and get what you want ..... I am sure with time and training that will iron itself out ..... and it shouldn’t be enough to put you off .... As I say the food is too good .... They recently tweeted a picture of their Sunday lunch using the same beef as the steak ..... I am definitely going to try that soon !! ...... I really hope they keep this standard up because honestly the food is that good .....

1  Thank simon d
Reviewed 1 April 2018

They are really trying but lots of work needed starting with several types of sherry listed on the menu but all they had was Harvey bristol cream ! (Does anyone still drink that) then the starters my Copper maroon egg was delicious but my husband had ONE scallop the mains of lamb and celeriac were good but more sides need to be offered sadly we didn't stay for dessert because the noise was deafening and the service willing but dreadful we were seated given menus and then left we weren't asked if we wanted a drink and ended up calling a waitress over to order them the same happened when it came to ordering food you get the impression the wait staff are jobbing students who haven't been trained properly. All in all at this point we would not return which is a shame because the setting and location are wonderful!

4  Thank melandnick