“Friendly staff and great owners”
Review of Clay Pigeon

Clay Pigeon
Ranked #47 of 405 Restaurants in Chelmsford
Cuisines: American, South American, Central American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 1 June 2018 via mobile

Recently met some friends at the pub and the staff are extremely friendly and even let me charge my phone while I waited for them to arrive. The Landlord and Landlady are family orientated in their attitude and intentions for every aspect of the pub. Great atmosphere feels more like an extended family than a pub. Would highly recommend to any in the area looking for a chilled out venue for a social or quick catchup. Food is simple but good.

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Having read reviews and hearing amazing things about this place we decided to give it a go. Upon entering this place, it is incredibly strange. The layout is odd, the decor is cold and it all just felt a bit weird. The main bar area is in the middle, surrounded by a few tables, with a very weird sectioned off dining area around the outside of the main area. Very very weird and not particularly appealing. I don’t know if the feel changes during the summer months but the outer dining area was very cold and I could not eat there. We went into the inner pub area which frankly was not much warmer and I had to keep my coat on the entire time. There is no warmth or atmosphere when we came, it all felt a bit cold and lifeless. Again, I’m sure the atmosphere would be different in summer, or of an evening when the pub is busier, however I would have no desire to come to eat when it is busier because of the layout and the bar basically being on top of where you eat, or being shut off in a cold room, neither of which are desirable to me....
On to the food.... wow. Based on looks and atmosphere I honestly wasn’t expecting much. The food seemed averagely priced and I expected standard, pub grub.... however what arrived was a complete delight. We had a starter of nachos to share between 3 and it was more than enough, the portion size was huge! It was also the best nachos I have ever had! Normally I would scrape the guacamole off as I hate the stuff, but I have been converted! It was honestly delicious and I would come back for the nachos alone!
The mains were also incredible! I sat there in awe of how incredible all the food was for such a reasonable price. Food wise this place is more of a gastro pub, than your average pub! I can’t wait to return to eat my way through the rest of the menu, and I’m interested to see if the atmosphere is different upon my return (I do hope so as it’s such a shame).

3  Thank Dark-Rose-95
Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

First time of coming here, will definitely return.

Clean and pleasant surroundings, decor nice,lots of t.v screens, plenty of seating.
Staff very polite ,friendly and attentive.
Nice relaxing atmosphere for a meal or drink.
Food portions are a decent size and very good value for money.
All food was well cooked and delicious.
Had a very enjoyable meal n drinks... thankyou, will return again

Reviewed 4 September 2017

We have visited the Clay Pigeon for a Sunday Roast, and In our opinion it is a hidden gem on the Tile Kiln Estate. The Sunday roast is outstanding quality and quantity. We recommend that you try out the food, and support our local community pub. The service is good, and Andy and Kate are very welcoming as are the staff.

Reviewed 17 August 2017 via mobile

The food is good. The decor for eating is abit odd and it's sat around a pub bar in the middle of a suburban area. You wouldn't think it would be a nice restaurant from the outside or when you go in but the food impressed us. It was decent, filling and was something for everyone! We definitely left full!

It did take us a while to get our food though. But they did apologise. If you can not get distracted by the men at the pub bar watching sports then you can have a nice meal.