“Excellent every time”

Ranked #20 of 405 Restaurants in Chelmsford
Price range: US$ 19 - US$ 38
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Whether you are with us for lunch or dinner, we provide a friendly, vibrant atmosphere amongst very eclectic surroundings.
Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

The food and service are consistently excellent. The only negative is that you can’t book & there’s usually a wait for a table, but always worth the wait.

jmirams, Manager at The Lion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2018

Thank you for this lovely review, we are glad you enjoyed your visit.

Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

Went the Lion Inn in Borham unfortunately not to its normal standard

The Sunday Roast was poor the potatoes we’re hard and the portions were all different.

The potatoes were not home made and no flavour.

The beef slices were all the same cut and tasted like it was from a vacuum packed bag.

The Staff gave there normal good service

We have been going for many years but not impressed this time.

1  Thank Dexboy

We very much regret your visit on Sunday was not as satisfactory as before.

We received many lovely comments on Sunday which makes your experience more disappointing to hear. You do not say if you provided this feedback at the time but we would always prefer to put things right at the time so you leave us on a positive note.

We are proud to say that our meat has complete traceability, arrives raw and is prepared and roasted by us in our own kitchens. The slices all come from the same cuts of meat and, therefore, look quite regular.

Similarly, we take delivery of tons of potatoes each week. These are washed, peeled, and chopped by us, onsite, which may account for the varying portion sizes, if they were hard, we would happily have replaced them for you. We have never bought frozen roasting potatoes and I can assure you of this without hesitation.

Your kind comments regarding service are much appreciated.

Regards

Reviewed 15 June 2018 via mobile

My customer took me to this restaurant as it’s close to his house! I ordered the burger! I am glad I did as it was one of the best burgers I have had in ages! Can’t recommend this place enough. Hopefully I will be back again at some point

Thank you for this lovely review, we are glad you enjoyed the burger!

Reviewed 12 June 2018 via mobile

We visited the Lion Inn on Sunday for lunch, we were a large party as you can see from the photo, the patio area is lovely, we were blessed with great weather, it was very busy yet the food was very good, I had the roast beef, I believe the fish pie is excellent. I couldn’t believe how many people were drinking Appletize, is it an Essex thing ?
Overall would recommend

Reviewed 12 June 2018

Recently visited with family as my friend has moved to the area.
They recommended here for us to go to lunch after coming to see them... glad they did!

Staff were friendly and assertive. Menu was good and provided a whole range of food.

The place is huge and thankfully there is enough staff to accommodate so many bookings.

Drinks and food arrived promptly and was delicious.

Recommend the streak and chips... my mum has the roast beef which she said was amazing (and cooked just how she likes it, rare/pink).

Will definitely come again - I've heard the ribs are worth having!