“20 out of 10”
Review of The Works

The Works
Ranked #35 of 405 Restaurants in Chelmsford
Price range: US$ 4 - US$ 13
Description: A family restaurant which is a place to meet, eat and treat for all ages. Serving savoury & sweet crêpes & waffles accompanied with cocktails, milkshakes and all sorts of fab delights! Come and try all of our ice cream we make on site - Served with a WOW Factor.
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

We came here as we just wanted desserts and we were not disappointed. This place has it all. Crepes, waffles, Icecream and countless topping choices. Very clean and efficient.
They offer take-away cups with a paper straw which is very eco friendly.
Our server Rebecca was more than lovely, knowledgeable and friendly, she took the time to have a chat with us.

Very nice
Very tasty

We will definitely return and recommend it to all our friends.

1  Thank Tomtum
TheWorks_Owner, General Manager at The Works, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi, i will be sure to pass this onto Rebecca, thanks for the feedback. Glad you enjoyed your desserts, why not try a savoury option as well next time :)

Reviewed 14 October 2018 via mobile

I visited with my boyfriend tonight, and having been to other places such as Creams Cafe and been very disappointed with the chewy, flavourless waffles with barely any toppings, I wasn’t sure what to expect. I can confirm that both of us had the best desserts we’ve ever had! It took us about 10 minutes to actually pick from the menu, and another 5 minutes to choose from the extensive range of ice cream flavours to accompany our waffles! Staff were spot on, so helpful and kind. We will definitely be back!! The portions are huge as well and good value!! Couldn’t recommend more!

1  Thank Hnmswf

Hey, so pleased you enjoyed your time here, 5 minutes to choose an ice-cream flavour from our range is quite impressive :)
Look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 8 October 2018 via mobile

I visited the Works with a group of friends and I loved it! There was so much choice, with sweet and savoury options. I went for a honeycomb cheesecake crepe and it was SO GOOD. The guy serving us told us all the ice creams are made on-site and you can tell, they are gorgeous.
The service is friendly and efficient, you get the sense they really do care about your experience.
It may be a little bit more expensive than some other ‘treat’ type restaurants, but it’s 100% worth and the quality is miles better in my opinion.
I will be back, and we have already planned a trip to try the 2-for-1 cocktails!

1  Thank oliviag101092
Reviewed 1 October 2018 via mobile

Creams is a fairly known brand in Essex so I find it a good comparison.

The Works offer more than just ice cream and waffles, and the waffles/crepes are sweet and savoury compared to the standard sweet-only offerings of Creams and the rest of similar nature. Although a wider menu, there weren't as many flavour combos to choose from. Whether that's good or bad I guess depends on how fussy your party is.

Another thing they do differently, which threw me off, was table service. Now, in a restaurant you're probably thinking that table service is a given, but in Creams and other places like Kaspas you order at the counter and wait.

The wait... even to get two hot drinks we waited the same time as a family of four to get four waffles. I don't know if they were just short staffed on the day, but the wait was long and it wasn't even at half capacity.

Having said that, everything my party ordered was lovely! Similarly priced as Creams too which isn't expensive.

Over all, a good place for breakfast, brunch or a treat, and I will certainly be returning.

TheWorks_Owner, General Manager at The Works, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2018

Hiya Abbie R, many thanks for your review, so glad you enjoyed your visit and see The Works as more than just waffle and ice cream. We are obviously popular for the home made ice cream though :)
See you soon :)

Reviewed 27 September 2018

We took our son here for a special treat. Ordered two waffles and were surprised that both waffles were served luke warm, if not cold. I was expecting a thick, piping hot waffle that would melt the chocolate. It was thin and crispy!
It was expensive for what it was (over £7).

1  Thank Leanne S
TheWorks_Owner, General Manager at The Works, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2018

Hi, i am sorry to hear our waffles were not to your liking. I will pass this feedback onto our kitchen manager as this is not our usual standard. I hope you will return again soon, maybe try a crepe or some of our amazing home made ice cream sundaes. We do a £10 deal which is a main and a drink (milkshake/lager/prosecco) which may be better value for money for you.