“Took us by surprise! This restaurant is a gem!!”

Marygreen Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Brentwood
London
“Took us by surprise! This restaurant is a gem!!”
Reviewed 22 March 2012

If you have never considered eating here, you need to!! My boyfriend was taking me out for dinner but there was something wrong with the water so we couldnt eat where he had booked. It was a Saturday in Brendtwood and we thought we had lost all hope when we came across Marygreen Manor. The staff were extremely accomodating and squeezed us in (it wasnt in a horrible place or really uncomfortable either!) The waiter (began with a V - think it might have been Viks) was extremely knowledgeable about the wines and the menu which was great. He kept an eye on us and despite it being busy, our glasses were always topped up and our plates cleared promptly without feeling he was hovering.
It was a classic fine dining menu! We had an amuse bouche to start (mushroom) which was dleicious and the waiter brought out a selection of breads to go with the homemade salted and unsalted butter. We chose scallops and asparagus for starters - both of which were delicious! I had the dover sole (an extra £10 supplement) which they deboned in front of me and my boyfriend has the lamb. I was a little jealous upon trying his lamb and the accompanying lamb shoulder ravioli! They then brought out a predessert for us - one large profiterole and chocolate mousse - a lovely touch. I had a dessert of poached pear which came with manadarin sorbet and salted caramel sauce - it shouldnt have worked but it did! Meal for two with two glasses of wine for me and two soft drinks for my boyfriend was £117. For the experience and service I think it was worth the money.
The decor is a bit old fashioned but not in a drab or worn way - the cutlery was nice and heavy and the plates were Wedgewood!
Only downside I suppose is that it is short drive from the main centre of things but with a boyfriend who doesnt drinks, this wasnt a problem for me. I cant imagine the taxi would be too expensive and the waiter did offer to book us one at the end of the meal when we were paying.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Bretagne
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Wonderful staff always helpful. Nice hotel in Brentwood, good price/quality ratio. Ask for a garden room, quite and nicer.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Chennai, India
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I stayed in their service apartment for a whole month and it was truly one of my best stays in UK. Loved the apartment, very clean, spacious, two bedrooms and almost perfect. Their kitchen was fully equipped and very very clean. The staff were great and so very helpful. The garden in their hotel was small but well maintained. Spent many a summer evenings relaxing there. I have even stayed in their hotel room for 2 nights. Their rooms are well maintained and their food is excellent. Would definitely recommend their high tea. Not to be missed.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Romford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Marygreen Manor has always been somewhere where my family go for a special occasion meal over the years, so when I wanted somewhere to take my husband and his immediate family for his 40th birthday this place was the obvious choice.

Everything is superb. The food and service is wonderful. Love the way you can have pre dinner drinks in the lounge while browsing the menu. No rushing you in and out here which is rare nowdays.

Glad to see Tommy is still here as I remember him when I was a teenager and he is great. :-)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Brentwood, UK
Reviewed 9 March 2012

We have been to Marygreen Manor for Sunday lunch many times now so I thought it about time to write a review. This is something we like to do on birthdays and other special occasions. What I like about this place is the relaxed atmosphere and the polite yet unobtrusive service.
When you arrive you are shown into the lounge and offered a drink by the roaring log fire (if it's winter!) You are then shown the menu and allowed to take as much time as you like making your choice. You can then sit back and relax again until your dinner is ready to be served. Very civilized.
The food has always been very good quality and good sized portions. I tend to like my meat on the rare side and they have never disapointed. The wine list is also very good and some are quite reasonable. After the meal you are then shown back to the lounge for coffee or after dinner drinks if you wish.
You never fell hurried along when you come here and I'm very much looking forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: Did not stay overnight