“Lovely sea views”

The Alex Cafe Bar & Brasserie
Ranked #3 of 96 Restaurants in Felixstowe
Cuisines: Bar
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Ground floor Café Bar, breakfasts, meals, snacks, fresh coffees, cakes, full range of bar drinks. Heated patio overlooking promenade and sea. First floor Brasserie (lift access), full a la carte menu plus set lunch menu available noon to 6pm Mon-Fri. Panoramic sea views.
Felixstowe, United Kingdom
“Lovely sea views”
Reviewed 17 July 2012

A very lively bistro downstairs with a quieter restaurant area upstairs with lovely views over the North Sea. A varied menu, pleasant food without being excellent. General ambiance sells the venue.

Visited March 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

• Korean first
Whitstable, United Kingdom
“Nice spot”
Reviewed 16 July 2012

This brasserie has a wonderful view of the sea and pier and on a nice day I can imagine would be lovely. You would need a booth to fully enjoy it although as the backs aren't very high it isn't very comfortable and you can hear the conversation of the booth behind you very well which is a bit off putting and not very romantic if you're just with your partner.

We went on a saturday night and I recommend booking.

The staff were really friendly and yes the toilets are very cool. My 3 years old pretended he needed to go at least 3 times just to watch the lights change colour.

Lots of fish as you would hope and expect although I was a little disappointed in the dressed crab and potato salad special. The crab wasn't very big and it had small pieces of shell in the mix. The potato salad was nice but it had obviously been made that morning and been kept in the fridge all day. It was ice cold and so all flavour was gone and a little sore on sensitive teeth. Perhaps get it out of the fridge when the order is taken and it should be room temperature by the time the main is served.

I had the seafood plater to start and the smoked trout was amazing. The calamari is good quality but I would say the batter was a little claggy. Also the whitebait again is lovely but way too much batter. So I'd warn you that you may fill yourself up before your main.

My husband had the rib eye steak which he said was lovely our only complaint would be the price £19 and it comes with a choice of potato but you have to order extra sides. Wouldn't mind but a tiddily bowl of green beans was £2 and tasted as though they were frozen beans not fresh.

Children's menu was good but again a bit of a way to make money as you pay for starter, main and dessert no drink thrown in so not great value.

So a bit of a mishmash of some really good food, some poor and some well over priced.

I had the rose called 'pretty lovely' should probably have know it might be a little too sweet from the name but I wanted to try it as we'd just come back from that region in France. I must say I have never encountered a sweet rose in France I'm sure they sweeten them for the UK palate!

• Visited July 2012
Matlock, United Kingdom
“Guests.....”
Reviewed 30 June 2012

Here's a review I actually ummed and eerrrred about before writing. It's a sorry tale to tell.
I dined there with my partner and parents. The weather was poor, but I imagine on a summers evening it's a lovely spot. The menu was a mix of fish and meat and to be honest, it looked a little more exciting than I was expecting. It's open plan upstairs, well decorated, clean, and if I ever get wealthy enough I'm going to have at least one toilet like theirs.
So, I ordered carpaccio. Very nice. No complaints, not like the one I had in some brasserie in London, which I've forgotten the name of and could have eaten every day for a year, but it was ok. Then things got a little tricky....
I ordered calamari. I like calamari sometimes, as long as it isn't greasy. This wasn't greasy, it was lovely, I just wasn't expecting the "guests". I had waded through perhaps a third of my accompanying watercress salad and had even commented on the nice dressing, when under the fading east coast light I thought I caught a glimpse of something in it. I looked again. Have you ever seen someone pick up a piece of watercress in a restaurant and hold it up to their face like it's a bomb? My dining companions have. The salad was, and this is the only word I can use to describe it, infested with tiny caterpillars. They were no more than 2mm long and had obviously not long been in this world. A third of them were in this world for an even shorter time as I had already eaten them......
I'm not a queasy sort. I don't mind most things, but to be honest I was feeling a little ill. The waitress couldn't believe it and we both peered through the undergrowth but the fact was my salad was being eaten by perhaps 100 little mouths. She took it away, came straight back, asked what I wanted, apologised, dealt with it all very well and I decided to have just some calamari, minus salad.
I don't know how it happened? I don't want to be too harsh on the place because I like it and would go back, but it is pretty unforgivable to wash (or not?), dress, plate, serve, a salad without anyone noticing it had things living in it. I don't know how it happened, I mean I've never served any salad in my lifetime that had anything living in it and I'm not a chef!
Still, it gave us all something to laugh about. And no hard feelings to The Alex, I would go back.
They didn't charge us for my main course at all and offered me a drink on the house which I declined. In all, they handled it wonderfully. May I take this opportunity to wish the kitchen staff all the best and good luck with their upcoming opticians check ups.......

1 Thank MoreInHope
Blandford Forum, United Kingdom
“Nice view, good food”
Reviewed 26 June 2012

We had evening meal here one Friday evening in the upstairs dining room - downstairs is more of a cafe/bar. There's quite a good view of the sea from the dining room. We didn't need to book and it wasn't too busy. The starters and main courses were good and arrived quickly - we chose off the menu but there are specials boards down the centre of the room. The wine was good and not over-priced, however it was just left on the table rather than served. The food service was fairly good. All in all quite a good option if your in Felixstowe.

Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Excellent lunch menu”
Reviewed 18 June 2012

We visited the Bistro on a weekday as a family of seven including my Father, who is mainly in a wheelchair. I called and booked earlier on the day. The lift was very helpful as my Father would not have been able to climb the stairs. Downstairs is coffee and snacks and is more casual but upstairs they have a full menu or a lunch menu which is two courses for £12. You can have three courses, desserts are around £5. The service was prompt and friendly. We had the house red and white wine which was a reasonable price and very drinkable. I had moules and chips and desert of apricot sponge, both good portions and delicious. Its situated in a lovely position with sea views from most tables, comfortable bench seats for four at the window. The toilets were a real feature, very modern with changing coloured lights sloping sinks and good toiletries. I have only just discovered the upstairs of the Alex, have stopped many times for a snack downstairs but will definitely be back for a superb, good value lunch at the Bistro