If you want something a bit different this is the place...a polar bear head in the hallway - the other half, it's body is in the restaurant on the other side of the wall. It's amusing and fun.
Rooms were clean and small, but I expected that. And I knew that bathrooms were nearby (no ensuite); one didn't have a key to lock to the door. One bathroom had an amazing lovely bathtub with a shower - it was stunning but a bit impracticable because when you showered there was a gap between the tub and the wall and the water went under the tub onto the floor so you had be careful getting out and then you had to wipe the floor so you didn't slip and neither did the next person.
I was a bit surprised and shocked that they charged to turn the heater on in your room! 30 Norwegian krona per day, and 35 Norwegian krona per day to use the kitchen (buy your own groceries from the nearby supermarket).
But the hotel is centrally located in Longyearbyen, which itself is a small town. Staff are very friendly, but one occasion when I wanted to check-in during their check-in hours (I stayed here twice for one night each time) there was no-one at reception so I used my own mobile - paying rates from Australia - to call their number and it went to voicemail!!! Couldn't find any other staff e.g. a cleaner. Had to wait a while and called again and this time I eventually got a person and was able to check-in. Now, what if my mobile phone did not work in that area? They need a better system.
This is a good hotel to stay for a night or two, and take PJs as you need to walk outside your room to the bathroom...and I recommend taking some footwear to wear in the shower as it's a communal shower that is cleaned daily (not after everyone's use).
Rooms do not have block out curtains and it's day light 24/7 so take an eye mask.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Come join us up north at Mary-Ann`s Polarrigg, a somewhat different Hotel/Rig in Longyearbyen. Here at Mary-Ann`s we have a relaxed and homey environment that will suite everybody.Stay as the miners did back in the days in our authentic Miners Rig, or if you prefer Hotel standard you can try our Luxury Rig instead.In the day time we can assist in booking of trips from our local tour operators or if you just want a day of relaxation in our onsite spa that is also possible. For groups we can also offer a fully equipped conference room.In the evening you can try food from our delicious menu in our Vinterhagen Restaurant where we serve both Thai food and traditional Norwegian and Arctic food.Come join us for an experience of a lifetime here at Mary-Ann’s Polarrigg. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia and TripOnline SA so you can book your Mary-Ann's Polarrigg reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mary-Ann`s Polarrigg Hotel Longyearbyen
- Mary-Ann's Polarrigg Longyearbyen, Svalbard - Spitsbergen