“Great Holiday”
Review of Kreta Natur

Kreta Natur
Ranked #52 of 173 Hotels in Hersonissos
Reviewed 29 September 2016

What makes the Kreta Natur so special is its amazing friendly atmosphere. I'm still trying to work out why this place has got it whereas so many places just don't. In part I think it's because with only 14 apartments everyone gets to know each other very easily. Also, maybe because most people have read TripAdvisor these days, they know what to expect before they get there and come prepared to be warm and friendly themselves. But lots of credit must also go Maria, George, Emma and George Jnr for the way they make everyone feel so comfortable and, well, happy!
As for the hotel itself, it's generally all pretty good - the grounds are very attractive and beautifully kept; the rooms are a good size, fairly basic but very clean; the range of bar food is fairly limited but the quality is excellent and the prices are reasonable. If I were to pick holes I would say that there aren't quite enough sun loungers, that the location isn't very convenient for eating out and that I would love for there to be draught beer at the bar instead of bottles.
The breakfast is worth a mention as it is very particular and has split opinion in our house. It consisted of a boiled egg, sausage, cucumber, tomatoes, olives, 2 types of cheese, yogurt with honey, jam, marmalade, banana bread and mountains of fruit and bread. The quality and quantity are very impressive and my wife loved it but, being more of a full English man myself, it wasn't really my cup of tea to be honest. If we were to go again I would maybe have it once or twice rather than every day.
One other thing which I've hardly seen mentioned at all is that it is right under the flight path for Heraklion Airport which is about 11 miles away. Personally I enjoyed watching them going over but I can imagine some people would be bothered by the noise.
As for the crickets, yes they are loud but who goes to a Mediterranean Island and doesn't expect to hear crickets?
I'm a little bit torn over my rating. I would probably give the hotel and facilities a 4, just missing out on a 5 for the reasons above. But as a holiday experience it was definitely a 5 largely thanks to the very pleasant company of all the lovely people we met (including the staff), so that's what I'll go with.

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms have the good sea view.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 28 September 2016

Im not one for really writing reviews usually but i was just casually glancing at trip advisor seeing what people had reviewed about Kreta Natur,I was somewhat surprised at a couple of the comments expressed.
My partner and I have visited Kreta some 6 times now and the reason being we bloody love it there !!!!!
The comment regarding hostile regulars I kind of understand as I have witnessed this myself.An awful amount of business at Kreta is returnees that in itself says something but a quiet word with George or Maria regarding any pool or facilities issues will always be addressed .My partner and I always welcome new visitors and respect their wishes .Kreta is a beautiful place very well maintained very clean and very safe (especially if have small children).It is off the beaten track but I personally think that adds to its charm.If you are looking for more excitement then I suggest and overpriced hotel in any of the main towns.Some use Kreta as base to explore the island but really it is the perfect place to relax and re charge the batteries.George and Maria are two of the nicest people you could ever wish to meet and kreta is based on a family run business with a taste of authentic Crete in its furnishings and fundamentals,and with that experience comes everything ,the weather the food the people even the crickets its all part of it .We are so happy at Kreta that I proposed to my partner last year and We are getting married there next year because it holds a very special place in our hearts,I always said i would never return anywhere twice however because of George and Maria plus Emma George junior Anna etc Kreta Natur has become a magnet as I know I come back home relaxed and ready to continue my stressful career.So thank you George Maria and the team keep up the outstanding work that you do we are so excited for our wedding at Kreta Natur next year .One more thing the BBQ evening is wonderful the quality and flavor of the food is exceptional the hospitality exceptional its a fantastic experience .

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 September 2016 via mobile

Just returned from a 10 day holiday at the Kreta Natur. If you read the reviews correctly, you get exactly what you expect: a small family ran hotel, with basic rooms but a good friendly atmosphere. We booked this trip as a relaxing 'do nothing' kind of holiday and for that it served its purpose perfectly.

POSITIVES:
George, Maria, Emma and George junior were amazing hosts and always made you feel very welcome. Nothing was too much trouble - they would happily give advice of where to visit, and where to eat and would call taxis and book tables as soon as you asked.

The chicken and potatoes made by Maria on the rooftop was delicious as was the BBQ night, which was also very very fun. Definitely do the BBQ night! Prices at the pool bar weren't cheap but weren't extortionate. The €5.50 Greek salad for lunch is a great choice!

The pool area was lovely and always very clean. The maid cleaned the room to a high standard every single day.

The majority of people were very very friendly and there was great atmosphere overall at Kreta Natur.

NEGATIVES:

It must be said that many of the 'regulars' were rather hostile and seemed to think they owned the poolside. A good example of this would be leaving towels on sun beds all day (even when they weren't even at the apartments)... At one point, a couple of two actually took up 5 sun beds as they moved around them to get the best areas of sun.
With limited sun beds as it is; this is obviously just not acceptable.

The water pressure for the showers in the bedroom was terrible. To rinse your hair properly you had to fill up a 2 litre water bottle and pour it over your head.

It is a shame that those who regularly visit Kreta Natur tainted the visits of those who were visiting for their first time. Would I come back: I would like to say yes, but really it would depend on who was around!!

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank agd1994
Reviewed 23 September 2016

We returned yesterday from a wonderful, 7night stay at Kreta Natur. We had only booked this about 2 weeks prior to departure, based on the reviews. In actual fact, it was our second choice, but we are so delighted that it became our destination. From the minute we arrived until the minute we left, we were greeted and treated as family, by Maria and George (the owners) and by the fellow guests. We have never experienced such warmth and friendliness anywhere else that we have stayed. Several of the guests had returned for another holiday, and this is always a good sign. We will certainly be back next year. We had been allocated a ground floor room, which was perfectly adequate, but asked if we could change to an upstairs one, and this was agreed (subject to availability) within 48hours. Nothing was too much trouble. The grounds and apartments are perfectly kept. A haven of tranquillity. You really must enjoy the barbecue night, and also Maria's special chicken dinner. On the other evenings we tried the 2 local restaurants, and also walked to Hersonissos on a few occasions, taking a taxi for the return. The walk took about 20minutes and was good exercise after lounging in and out of the pool all day. We really want to promote this place but are frightened that by doing so, we wont be able to return when we want to! Thank you Maria, George Snr, George Jnr, Emma and all the lovely people we met on our holiday for making this one of the best holidays we have ever had.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank curlyKateLancashire
Reviewed 18 September 2016

We spent 10 days in May (2016) on the recommendation of one of my customers and I have to say, I owe her big time!
Every positive review about Kreta Natur is 100% accurate. As for the negative ones, I really am sorry you didn't get to experience what I did.
Myself and my fiancée don't go in for the all inclusive, race to get your sun bed type of holiday and Kreta Natur is the antithesis of all of those things. It's so laid back you really will start to relax the moment you arrive.
When we arrived (at 10.30pm) George greeted us and told us to go down to the bar/pool where Maria was waiting with a drink for us both.
Both George & Maria will make you feel so welcome, they really did make us feel like you were visiting relatives/friends.
Our room was a lovely double studio with a balcony with a cracking view of the sea.
It's located in a quiet location, so it's great for relaxing but the port is a short 15 minute walk away.
There's a supermarket just around the corner, so you can stock up on any supplies easily enough.
George and Maria are just great and so are the staff. Emma was brilliant and so helpful, nothing was too much trouble. There is also young George (who had literally just started), he couldn't be nicer, all of them, just lovely people.
If you want a taxi just ask and George (or whoever is around) and they will gladly call one for you.
We used Paulos Sopasis and his brother John's Taxi Serivce. Great guys, Paulos even suggested the place where we got engaged.
I'd highly recommend a trip to Old Hersonissos and Taverna Harakas, absolutely fantastic (see my review).
We loved the place so much, we're going back for our second visit this year in a few days time!
Crete is a beautiful place with beautiful, friendly people and Kreta Natur is the perfect place to stay when you visit.

Room Tip: Upper floor, double studio good for sea view
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hersonissos
109.8 km away
32.5 km away
Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection
0.6 km away
Mitsis Laguna Resort & Spa

Been to Kreta Natur? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK