First impression, fabulous. I've been very critical about the other two Elgin hotels we stayed at on this trip and for very good reasons. This is without doubt the best of their portfolio; for a start it has windows with a view of the garden, you'll have to go up to the monastery at the top of the hill for a mountain range view. There is traffic noise or should I say those damn horns and dogs barking nearby. Our room, 54, is a deluxe with a small sitting area, the bathroom lets it down badly, it desperately needs up-dating but it's adequate. The now famous grubby stair carpet, a feature of all Elgin's is to found here too, instead of brushing try shampooing! Lunch. The most jaw dropping beautiful dining room we've ever seen in India, and the food is excellent, though they need to work on the chicken dish, less bone more meat. The staff are the best of all the Elgin's we've stayed at. It's location is within walking distance of the centre. Wifi can only be got in the reception area, a small price to pay as its free. We liked this place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Elgin Silver Oaks was built in 1930 and once belonged to the prominent architect Frederick Desraj who built the old Teesta Bridge. It is now converted into a luxury hill resort in the Himalayas. Lounging in the landscaped gardens in a profusion of colour, one is treated to breathtaking views of the Himalayas. The natural decor is characteristic in the imposing Kanchenjungha which can be seen on a clear day, blooming petunias and asters, the serrated violet edges of iris, iridescent butterflies flitting through colourful azaleas, drooping geraniums, proud orchids and heaven, temporarily descends on earth. Sitting in one of the quaint gazebos, the tea seems to be flavoured by the refreshing winds of the Himalayas. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, MakeMyTrip, TravelGuru, Yatra, Agoda and ClearTrip so you can book your The Elgin Silver Oaks, Kalimpong reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Elgin Silver Oaks Kalimpong Hotel Kalimpong
- Silver Oaks Hotel
- The Elgin Silver Oaks, Kalimpong West Bengal