“Beach Getaway” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 78 Hotels in Puri
Bhubaneswar , India
“Beach Getaway”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2009

Took a trip down to Puri for a weekend getaway . Mayfair Beach Resorts Puri is one of the better options availabale at Puri. The resort is a small compact place with all the basic ameneties that you would require for a weekend getaway. The resort is located away from the rush at Swargadwar ( the beach walk ) and offers decent rooms and food. The restaurant has a limited menu but enough to keep you interested in trying out the offerings. Breakfast at the verandah is a laid back affair and is a decent spread but slightly pricier compared to the fare available at hotels in metros. The staff are friendly and helpful. Ther's a small swimming pool with a snack/ refreshment bar at one end and a spa at the other. The resort opens up to the beach. Puri beach is a crowded place in holiday season , but the stretch of beach that Mayfair Resorts opens out to is relatively less crowded and offers some peaceful moments. I recommend going to the beach early in the morning. You could also see the fishermen bringing in the ir haul in the evenings. the resort however lacks a 24 hr gym. They have a small one which is open only at specific times in the morning and evening. The room service is decent and toiletries great. Overall i would recommend this place if you are looking for a weekend getaway and not for prolonged stay. You can also enjoy the Konark Temple ( a heritage site) and Jagannath Temple. The hotel has a travel agent and you can book your cab from there. The resort has two kinds of rooms. There are rooms located in the main building which are the standard rooms that you get in any hotel. However it is recommended to book your room in one of the huts around the pool. Two rooms/ families are accomodatedin one hut and if you are using two such rooms it is a better option since you could use the common space (common to the two adjacent rooms ina hut) , call for room service and enjoy the food there.

• Liked — Quietness of the place and decent food
  • Disliked — No disco , small gym
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Coolsurf76
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Delhi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2009

I had my own doubts about Puri as a place as i had heard horror stories about the Jaganath Temple and the mess and crowd of Puri.
All of which are true. So Mayfair came as a breath of fresh air with a nice warm atmosphere, super effcient and ever helpful staff and a good, economical travel agency attached. This allowed me to plan the rest of my time in Orissa, seated at one place.

They have a direct access to the Beach with a lifeguard on duty. Don't expect the party atmosphere of Goa with shaks on the beach.

What ever they offered, they did well. A clean pool. Food could have been better but one couldn't ask for too much and the overall experience was definitely worth it. Large Balconies and sitting area wa a welcoe bonus. Pick the upper rooms for ocen views and gorund floor if you have kids as the balconies have a decent sized lawns.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Buffet Spread
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2008

We had a long-weekend break here and have no regrets. I thought the Puri beach would be nice, but like everywhere in India (except Goa/Kerala) the beach is only suitable for walking and is otherwise dirty. No one ever sunbathes on this beach. Therefore a hotel with a pool is essential if you have kids, or just wish to shed some clothes. The pool is small, so just for playing. Its not as clean as I would like, but has lots of clourine, which is a mixed blessing I suppose. The rooms are large and well appointed, plus has a nice big comfortable bed. Also the rooms have great balconies. The rest of the hotel is clean and functional. It won't win any design awards but its fine. I didn't see anywhere better so if I was back in Puri, I would stay here again. Its not luxury, but it deserves its 3*

• Liked — low rise design with landscaped gardens and bungalows
  • Disliked — litter on the beach, cloudy swimming pool
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
East Meadow, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2008

The Mayfair Hotel in Puri is gorgeous. The gardens, landscaping, buildings, lobby, rooms are all lovely with many waterfront views. When my husband arrived with food poisoning after eating bad food on an Air India flight that had been out in the sun too long when the fiight was delayed, the staff could not have been more wonderful. They came and changed his bed linens several times a day since he had a fever, made sure he was okay while I went out for short trips with our private guide and driver, brought him special foods and drinks quickly, and were very caring. Puri itself is a very interesting small city with many sacred attractions and a great street scene. Although he was sick for a few days, it was the best possible place to be recuperating in beauty and caring.

• Liked — Comfort and seating areas
  • Disliked — Terrace had too many birds diving in
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
Hoboken, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2008

Having traveled to India 4 times before in the last several years, I am quite used to "Indian" hotels. However, after reading the posts on tripadvisor I wasn't quite prepared for this hotel .It was a bit of a shocker to us. We had three suites. #120, 121 and 123.. Room 120 was by far the worst. Our room had HOLES in the wall from what seemed to be a dripping AC system. The tub was black from both age and dirt. The floors hadn't been polished/waxed in centuries. There were dead mosquito carcasses from past guests lingering on the wall. By far the worst though, was the fact that in the room was a tray with cookies and candy ( in glass jars). There were mouse droppings in the tray. I put the tray outside in the foyer., they put it back in our room WITH THE DROPPINGS STILL IN THE TRAY- THIS LASTED ALL THREE NIGHTS WE WERE THERE- I would put it out in the foyer it would reappear WITH the mouse droppings. I would have told the room attendant if I ever saw him but I never did.

Service is lackluster. I think my room attendant was by far the worst I ever had. Not only was the room dirty, we left the room at 7:30 in the Am, came back at 3 PM and the room was still not made up. Maybe he was waiting for baksheesh on a daily basis .. Room service was good but they got tips every time they brought something

I do understand that they must fumigate the hotel surroundings; however, we came back from touring at 6 PM, and as we began to walk up the entrance steps, I thought there was a fire. The smell told me what was going on ( major fumigation) . We waited about 20 minutes and then entered the hotel. The next morning, at 7 ish ..... same thing but this time I was near the pool and bolted to my room where the smell drifted in anyway .
Of final note, the day we arrived, our rooms were not ready, the manager told the 5 of us to go and have a "complimentary" breakfast" while we waited for our rooms. Obviously, it wasn't complimentary as they tried charging us for it the day we were leaving . We were going to pay it but our friends caused a fuss, and once I dragged the manager to our room/ he waved the charges ..... his mouth was open in disbelief when he saw what I was talking about. It's as if this guy hadn't been in our room EVER.....

Also, these three rooms overlook the "party" area where IT parties and weddings are held. So, If you want to rest or take a quick evening nap- forget it until 11 PM when the music stops

I did try to get my room changed after the first night, but all the rooms he showed me were REALLY REALLY below expectations, and not even close to the suite that I had paid for.

The pool was clean but crows were all over the place ( as in the Hitchcock thriller) the jacuzzi was broken as was the steam room. Once you leave the pool area to go on the beach, there are no beach chairs ( which is fine) but you are constantly bothered by people selling necklaces.

On a positive note, the spa ( massages) were good, and there is a free mini bar in the room. Haivng come from the Sunderbans we had lots of dirty clothing. There laundry service was good and reasonable.

I read and contribute to TripAdvisor. I always questions people who give bad reviews and wonder if they aren't just fussy and "pains" in the neck. Apparently, this is the ONLY "relatively" decent place to stay in Puri. We wanted to go to Chilika Lake and Konark so we were there for 3 nights .......

It is really unfortunate that this is listed as a Mayfair resort. The one is Bubaneswar is fantastic. You do pay more but it is worth it.

Just be advised. If they give you room 120 - move out- the other rooms 121 and 123 were "satisfactory" by no means luxurious. but basic accommodations.

• Liked — free mini bar
  • Disliked — dirty room
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with friends
3 Thank ldtc2
bj8four, Owner at Mayfair Heritage, responded to this review, 27 June 2008
I have read the negative review recieved and spoken with the Puri staff on the matter. This year, the hotel rooms, restaurants and facilities will be significantly upgraded. I regret the incidents that have occured with our guest and consider it shocking and most unfortunate. We take our guests' reviews, opinions and suggestions very seriously and constantly strive towards improving our services and facilities. This is indeed a wake up call for our Puri hotel which I am certain shall not have such incidents repeated.