“Claims shame reality”
Review of Puri Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Puri
Puri Hotel
Ranked #42 of 81 Hotels in Puri
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
“Claims shame reality”
Reviewed 23 December 2011

I booked a "suite" thru e-mail. The "manager" did not bother to respond on time in sending booking confirmation. However, he did so on reminders. What surprised me most is that in the current days of electronic mail transfer, the manager "refused" to provide bank details and wanted booking amount by draft only. They also do not accept payments by creidt card. This raises serious doubt about their integrity about "clean business" and points to novel way to evade tax, while they are collecting the same from customers.
Anyway, we were shocked to see the "SUITE"on arrival on 26th Nov. It is a small ordinary room with a LCD TV and a noisy small AC. The bath room was horribly dirty with all sorts of funny water connection. You put on the geyser and hot water flows from all taps, though the hotel claims that no hot water connection in the shower(to prevent children from accidental burn from hot shower!!!) . There is no way one can mix cold water with hot flow. Lilens are not changed daily. Bath room is not cleaned unless told. Towels are torn and dirty.
Currently the hotel appears to run on ancestors' "reputation" only. The current directors simply want to continue cashing on the reputation and live a lavish life. They are scared to interact with or meet customers but leave the whole operation to few incompetent persons at the reception. Any hotel with a mind to serve a customer right would not shy away from computerized booking etc and accept credit card payments that many of the newer hotels are offering.
Though it is located at the best place(fotunately this one and Victoria Club Hotel got the opportunity of the position by hard work by their parents), I shall advice all sensible people to avoid Puri Hotel as far as possible. This should be advertised as a most ordinary and poor quality hotel by the directors in the home page. After innumerable visits to Puri, I am pained to experience such a miserable time for me and my wife.

It would not be out of place to mention that Bengali tourists(non Oriyas as well) are very ill treated by almost all vendors and shop owners, who use foul languages and jestures even to women(elderly and old) without any provocation.

Alas how is there could a "SWARGA DWAR" survive with so many of "Rakshash" moving all around !!!!

Room Tip: See then believe. Sea side rooms give a better view of the sea. Suite is a misnomer.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mitra_0228
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Reviewed 27 September 2011

Good bits: Location is good and sea facing rooms have very good view.

Bad bits:
1. Pathetic rooms in terms of size and cleanliness. Walls and bathrooms are dirty. White towels looks gray now.
2. A/C room was for 1380/-. A/C temperature control doesn't work in most of the rooms. They never tell you in advance.
3. They serve aqua guard water but the device has not been in working condition for several days. No one is informed about this fact. Drink mineral water only.
4. Elevators are not automatic. Operators leaves at 10PM and one must walk six floors after 10:00PM.
5. Lunch & dinner orders are taken too early. If you need extra rice or bread don't be surprised they tell you everything is over or it's 10 PM. Restaurant is closed.
6. There is a notice board that says no one staying at or below third floor should use elevator for going down. In fact elevator don't stop at these floors while going down.
7. Furniture, cot and bed are old and ugly looking.

Room Tip: Stay at this hotel only if you have not booked a better hotel in advance or you have budget constrai...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Amitava M

Travellers are raving about these Puri hotels

Reviewed 16 September 2011

We stayed there from 11th to 14th June, although our sea facing room location was good but it was bad in all other respect. Food in their restaurant was substandard but rate was very high compared to other places. Behavior of the receptionist was rude and un-tolerable. When we visited last time around 3 years back, things were altogether different , now they are not in a mood to give any service to the guests.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank JYOTILAHIRI
Alipurduar, West Bengal, India
Reviewed 14 August 2011

The worst hotel I've ever stayed.From the receptionist to the hotel boy,nobody know the minimum courtesy to talk to their guest. No professionalism ,rude and they are just greedy for their tips.Very very poor room service, pathetic food. a complete ruined hotel. The best hotel to suggest to your worst enemy , they'll surely spoil his holiday... 100% guaranteed. Though, ironically, few of my colleagues suggested me this hotel.
During booking they promised me a sea-facing room . After arrival at Puri, I went to the hotel. The front-desk manager told me the room is vacant but I've to wait as the cleaning work is going on. I've waited in the lounge with all my luggage for half an hour, and during that time, that man completely ignore my presence. When, I told him, I rather going to another hotel as there ape plenty of hotels in the same row with the similar cost, that man called a hotel-boy to show me the room. First he showed a 6-bedded dormitory for two of us!!! It's at the down floor, just attached to the reception, suffocating. The room was offcourse sea facing but you can't see it due to the hotel's boundary-wall. As I refused to stay there, and forced to go to another hotel, he show me one sea-facing room ,which is actually side facing ,from where you can hardly see a little portion of sea-beach through the gaps between other hotels and shops. I decided to left the hotel, then that front-desk man requested me to stay at this room for that day only and also promised he'll provide a sea-facing room on the very next day and at the early morning. I believed on his fake promise and as I was very tired too, we decided to stay their for that day. the room was just horrible to stay.Old and dirty, bed-sheet was dirty. toilet is a real hell. even the room doesn't have a three-pin socket connection to charge your mobile phone or fix the mosquito-repealer at night .The curtains are transparent .Later I found that, actually It's attached to the staff-quarter. On the next morning, I asked the front office man to provide me the sea-facing room, as he promised. He told me to contact at 12 o'clock. as some guests are leaving then. Accordingly again I went there at afternoon, but again he the same story repeated , 'come on evening'. It was really frustrating when evening too, they couldn't provide me any such room.It was clear that I've to adjust with the room,provided by them . I was also adjust to avoid the whole course of searching and shifting to another hotel again, at the mid of our tour.
I stayed there for four days, and nobody come to my room to change the bed-sheet or towel. every time I've to call them for the replacement.The sweeper appeared on the last day to ask for his Tips.Every time I order the meal, they'll send different boys to my room, and before we left the hotel, 5-6 hotel boys came together to my room for their individual tips.
One of my friend supposed to call me, it was a real urgency and my mobile was out of order. So accordingly I gave the prior intimation to the front desk to inform me as my room didn't have a telephone too. But when he called, the front-desk give him my room's telephone number, which actually doesn't exist!! Being failed to contact me on that number ,he again called to the front desk and they informed him that, I've left the hotel few hours back...though I was very much there,in my room and waiting for his call !!! They even didn't bother to inform me on the next morning when we met them.
Even, if they offer you a taxi service for sight-seeing or other purpose,please don't avail that. You can get same in far far cheaper rate from the taxi stand, just infront of the hotel's main gate.
Therefore my personal request is never ever stay at this hotel. It's no doubt the worst hotel in Puri.Find another at the same or less price at the same location.Please don't ruin your holiday as we did.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
13 Thank Saubhanik
Reviewed 10 August 2011

I stayed in Puri Hotel from 6th to 9th August. I went for holiday with my family(total 5 members) and we took three rooms here. We had the worst experience staying here !! First of all, the rooms are full of termites and other insects, AC does not work well, poor room service and food is not at all of standard quality. Indeed these are the minor bad things about this hotel and I have written this review to share one of my worst experience of puri trip.
Two of our money purses were stolen from the room. My husband's purse contained Rs.8000 cash, PAN card, debit card. The other purse contained about Rs.1000 cash. Strangely, someone took both purses from the room when my mother-in-law was standing in balcony looking outside and the door was open for a short while (about 10-15 min). Rest of us were present in another room viewing TV. To our surprise, when we reported this to front desk, there was no reaction at all. The manager did not bother to atleast come and ask us about the incident. The front desk told us to go to police. We lodged a FIR in local police station. Since we had lost the money as well as the debit card, we requested the management to allow us to pay a percentage of due bills after returning back to kolkata, but the manager told they can do so only if we will withdraw the FIR and report to police station that we are not paying fully. Thankfully we got help from one of our local friend and fully paid the hotel bills. We didn't got any cooperation from hotel management.
So, I will never recommend this hotel to any of my friends and family. Also, I will request everyone to be very alert even if anyone chose this budget hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family