The Verandah in the forest is a class apart from the hotels at Matheran. I went there with my girlfriend in the initial phase of our relationship and could not have made a better choice.
The hotel has an antiquated feel to it. We stayed at the Petit room. Each room is unique and you need to let the hotel management know in advance which room you'd prefer to stay in. Very often the hotel management gets specific requests from Bollywood celebs for specific rooms, or so I hear. Anyway, getting back to the room, the ceiling is probably 25 feet high. Unheard of in this day and age. The rooms aren't air-conditioned but we didn't find that to be a problem even in the peak of summer. The bed was a classic four poster and the room itself was huge. There isn't a bathtub in the room, so you'd have to make do with the shower.
The package we bought included all the meals. The meals are pretty average but I guess better than what most places at Matheran have on offer. I think the hotel has only around 8 - 10 rooms and the chef doubles up as the manager. He is a very jovial and friendly person and added to the uniqueness of the hotel itself.
The hotel is far away from the places in Matheran that see any activity. You'd have to travel on horseback since motor vehicles are not allowed within Matheran.
Overall a great place to stay in if you're in Matheran.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The paths once cleared by the British in the forests of Matheran, making it the last British hill station have acquired a new identity as the place where Bombay’s movers and shakers which include filmstars and businessmen come to spend a few quiet and peaceful days.Perched atop the Sahyadri ranges, Matheran is Asia’s only pedestrian hill resort. Chug up in a toy train, trot, or arrive in a palanquin, past gigantic mansions built by the British, the Parsis, and the Bohras. The Verandah in the Forest was the second house to be built on the isolated Western Ghats, by Captain Barr. Now, with every facility in place, it is reputed to be second to none! Indeed, the nobility of the proportions of The Verandah bring civilizational honour to the Sahyadri ranges. Lounge like never before in this verandah of your dreams. Read under the highest domestic ceiling you would have known in the salon – 12 metres/35 feet high. Stroll down to Charlotte Lake. Or take longer walks with a picnic basket. Relish the local cuisines. Heave your chest, muscle your calves, take all the oxygen back in your lungs. Link your planet with your own two feet.Find space for more space in your mind. Or lose yourself to find yourself anew.Long after you return, you will wonder who would have dared to sprawl out such a tree-home space in such spell-binding wilderness? ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia and TravelGuru so you can book your Neemrana's - Verandah in the Forest reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Verandah In The Forest Hotel Matheran
- The Verandah In Forest
- Neemrana's - Verandah In The Forest Matheran, Maharashtra