“Argumentative owner harasses guests”

Riverview Guest House
Ranked #2 of 93 Guwahati B&B and Inns
colombo
“Argumentative owner harasses guests”
Reviewed 7 December 2011

What looked like an enjoyable week turned to hell when the argumentative owner began harassing myself and four visiting friends. This was not just an isolated incident but a clear pattern whereby he would drop by our individual rooms, demanding payment for water bottles (at inflated rates), suggesting we should pay the room charges in advance, attempting to extort money for nights we hadn't booked, and generally troubling us for no good reason. I don't know how many times I intervened to calm the situation, but in the end we decided to stay at another guest house nearby (which turned out to be much better value). His staff are friendly and helpful but sadly, there is a high risk the owner will ruin your riverside experience. On top of that, we had to beg the guy each time we wanted to use the wifi connection! Time for a lesson in how to satisfy your customers Manoj.

Room Tip: Go to another guest house
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Riverguesthouse, Manager at Riverview Guest House, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
Hey Charles, we thought you’d be busy enjoying your honeymoon but thanks for managing to write such an “enlightening” review !!! We initially did not wish to respond to all this gossip but had to in order to clear the air...so here we are posting the third management response in as many days and,it saddens us to see how seemingly satisfied and happy souls’ can turn hostile and misuse popular platforms like TA...what is even more surprising is how TA allows reviews carrying personal insults, threats, prejudiced comments, hate speech to be posted in the first place !!
Business sense demands that the owner & staff members create a very congenial & friendly ambience so that guests’ experiences are enhanced. Therefore, it does’nt need explaining that none of us will ever think of offending any guest or interfering with their private affairs. We value guests' privacy uppermost and therefore invite them to the office/reception to meet us and transact, while a few simply neither turn-up nor co-operate when it comes to paying token advance, submitting ID proofs etc. so they need reminding. We at ARGH have a lot at stake as far as the property’s reputation is concerned, therefore, dear reader please rest assured that we are here to make your stay enjoyable & memorable in every manner... and that all accusations&abuses are simply irresponsible.To a specific charge that we over-charged for packaged water bottles, let me clarify that we charge only INR25 (Euro 0.38) for a bottle yet some “deep value seekers” find the price inflated (even by their Euro standards) !! Also, if any evidence exists that we charged any guest for nights not stayed, we will apologise and gladly refund...our conscience is clear so we are cool !! But we admit that there could be errors & scope for improvement in our functioning but that NONE of the incidences stated here & there are deliberate or wilful on the part of the owner, manager(myself) or any staff member. It is unfair & unscruplous that the owner(who's usually away from the guest house property) has been depicted as a mean guy.To conclude, let me add that we believe we know our job and trade and that now we are more committed than ever before to deliver the best, going forward !!
Our guest is blessed.
Our visitor is God.

'Atithi Devo Bhavah'.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Nasik, India
Reviewed 22 October 2011

We were visiting Guwahati on the way to the North East. I had booked Aditya Riverview Guest House online just because it was bang opposite the Brahmaputra River! We reached late night because of flight delays etc. But, thanks to the hospitality, we had fresh hot but - very expensive - traditional food. It was a warm hospitality - and the bedrooms also. Its ambiance is almost like your personal abode. The location is a ve...ry peaceful, during the whole day. In the morning, I went for a long walk as usually I do at home - first on the road and later in the garden right opposite the Guest House. Fresh, cool and free oxygen! Just about 20 minutes walking distance there is a large fish market - numerous varieties of fishes, in size and types. We walked down to the Governor's House - about 45 minutes. What a stay - peaceful, exciting and homely, thanks to the personal touch of Manoj. One drawback, no elevator, can make it tiresome after a long field visit. Still, we are looking forward to visit it again. Do consider it when you are planning a visit Assam and have a darshan of Brahmputra!

Room Tip: Corner suites are spacious and with a window facing the misty but giant river.
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Calcutta
Reviewed 4 October 2011

I have been to Guwahati thrice and two out of three times I have made my stay at this guest house and it anyday is better than staying in a hotel. It has all the facilities of a hotel and the best part is that you will not feel as if you are away from home. All facilities are provided and the people too are very cooperative and its equivalent to staying in a hotel. Its location (providing a river view) awesome and is another nice thing about the guest house. I would recommend anyone visiting Guwahati to stay at this place and myself would always go for it whenever I am going there next. Thank You Mr. Manoj for all the cooperation and making me feel at home.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Kolkata, India
Reviewed 3 October 2011

I was in Guwahati on work for a couple of days and headed to Aaditya Riverview Guest House hearing of its locality. It's located away from the bustle of the city and yet all conveniences are within the locality. Right across the road is the Brahmaputra river and the area has a nice coffee shop, broad tree lined roads. Exactly the kind of localities I prefer.

As far as service goes, the food is great and very unlike a hotel, customisable to certain extents. Manoj, is a great host and will try and make your stay as comfortable as possible. I'm sure to be back here if I'm ever in Guwahati again.

Room Tip: River facing rooms would be best if budget permits.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 9 August 2011

I was traveling on work and I needed a space where I could both do my work and relax. The guest house is particularly suited for this. It is very homely — the food is great. The accommodation is quiet and comfortable. It was on the whole a very homely experience — I did not feel I was traveling abroad or had to deal with errands related to travel. Great facilities, great location — I will be back soon. Home away from Home!!!

Stayed July 2011, travelled on business