Review Highlights

Reviewed 9 January 2022
NehaJ549
New Delhi, India
via mobile
One of the best experiences of our andaman trip!

Reviewed 10 April 2021
muddy007
Mumbai, India

Recommended experiences in and around Havelock Island
from $48.88
More Info
from $240.00
More Info
All reviews night tour life jackets bioluminescent plankton mangrove tour moonless night explained everything port blair tours shiraz constellations sky havelock water island camera training nature
Selected filters
Reviewed 9 January 2022 via mobile

Amazing experience - we did night kayaking with shiraz and tanaz and was an amazing experience - on a starry night we saw bioluminescence - magical!
They have now shifted operations to port Blair

Date of experience: January 2022
Reviewed 10 April 2021

We did the morning Mangrove Kayak Tour and Night Kayak tour with Tanaz (accompanied by her brother, Shiraz) in Port Blair (she has moved operations out of Havelock) and I must say, it was one of our favourite experiences of the entire Andaman vacation. Tanaz is a chirpy, happy-go-lucky environment enthusiast. Her and Shiraz's passion to preserve the mangroves rubbed off on us and we started collecting trash from the water during our mangrove kayaking :)

MANGROVE KAYAKING (approx 8am to 11am): in this, tanaz takes you kayaking through beautifully lush mangroves (natural carbon sinks and an ecosystem in themselves) and teaches you their value in our environment. We got lucky with amazing cloudy wheather and it even even started drizzling after sometime. But for most travelers, it will probably be scorching hot in the summer. So do wear tons of sunscreen!
NIGHT KAYAKING (approx.6pm to 9pm): you will kayak in the same waters as for the mangrove tour. But this time, your eyes will be riveted to the water where the bioluminescent plankton will light up each time your oars/hands touch the water. Tanaz and Shiraz will explain the significance of the bioluminescence. You will also do an enlightening session of star gazing during which Tanaz will make you look at each star in the sky and tell you it's purpose and geographic significance.

Important points:
- one need NOT know any amount of kayaking in order to do either of these activities. Tanaz and Shiraz will train you well before putting you in your kayaks. Plus (for those who are still anxious), the water is quite shallow and you will be given life jackets.
- you WILL get wet in the kayak. And you will also be required to walk in some marshy soil while getting into the kayak. So make sure you wear appropriate footwear like floaters/sandals. Sport shoes, chappal, etc. aren't recommended at all.
- wear loads of sunscreen for the mangrove tour and lots of Mosquito repellent for the night tour.
- if you're not ok with getting wet and dirty, neither of these tours are for you. Be prepared to feel dirty/icky/mucky right until you reach your resort after the kayaking is over. Infact, its not uncommon for a fish to jump into a kayak once in awhile (this happened with me); but none of the fish there are harmless and Tanaz/Shiraz quickly go over to the respective Kayak and gently take the fish out. But these experiences are all proof that Tanaz's tours are untouched by commercialization and remain one-with-nature. So don't expect a 5-star experience in terms of comfort/ickiness. This is a raw experience and therefore much more unforgettable :)

Date of experience: April 2021
Reviewed 26 February 2021 via mobile

Shiraz took us kayaking around the mangroves of Noble Island. My wife and I along with other guests had a great experience. Having done kayaking with other companies there, he definitely has the best quality kayaks and equipment compared to others.

The experience with him of roughly 2 hours was amazing and he explained everything very well!

A must do for everyone!
Highly recommend anyone travelling to Andamans and wanting to experience kayaking to do it with Shiraz!

Date of experience: February 2021
1  Thank bshreyans
Reviewed 10 February 2020

I was planning a tight trip with my mother from the US.I contacted Tanaz through whatsapp and she responded on time. I paid it in advance through western union and took the print out as she directed. I did the tour with her brother and it was a wonderful magical night kayaking experience. Him and Murugan were great guides. He was very knowledgable about the water, the bio life in it and the constellations. There was no internet or mobile network in the island so it was bit anxious to unable to contact them. I called them 30 minutes before the trip from the resort reception and luckily i stayed close by so took an auto to that place even at late night. Would definitely recommend this to any one. Unfortunately this cant be captured in camera and fortunately that gives you the complete no distracted way to take this all in.

Date of experience: February 2020
2  Thank Seetharamani T
Reviewed 25 January 2020

I travelled to Havelock with my 9 year old son and we thought of going to Kayaking. Kayaking by Tanaz is most famous and pioneer of this activity and so we decided to go with her. Since Tanaz was out of town, her brother Shiraaz was our guide for activity. In general there are 2 kinds of Kayaking tours
- Day tours where you get to see beautiful Mangroves and click pictures
- Night tour. This happens in pitch dark and you get to see bio luminescence plankton in sea along with clear night sky, stars and constellations

I did the night activity. It was wonderful experience to learn basics of kayaking and both me and my son thoroughly enjoyed the kyaking experience. The sky was beautiful and Shiraaz was full on energy explaining about stars and constellations. Unfortunately for me it was boring after 10 odd mins and paddling and kayaking was only thing I liked. In general if you want to learn about stars and constellations and navigating looking at stars you can do night kayaking else i will recommend doing a day kayaking where you can look at beauty of forests and sea. There are many Kayak Vendors, but I pretty sure, no one would have explained about stars as these guys do. So if you want to night kayaking go with Tanaz (but make sure you are expecting just to look at stars and knowing about them and nothing else) else do day kayak with any one.
Also Kayaking with Tanaz is most costly among all.

Overall kayaking was on my bucket list and I am glad that I did it and I enjoyed experience of Kayaking

Date of experience: January 2020