“Extremely unprofessional staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Andaman Bubbles

Andaman Bubbles
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Andaman Bubbles is a friendly dive centre located on Havelock Island in the Andamans. We opened our doors in December 2008. With a strong emphasis placed on safety, we offer professional quality service, but in a flexible relaxed manner. We here at Andaman Bubbles have a strong passion for the island and the sea that surrounds it. We look forward to sharing that passion with you, not just as our customers but also as our friends. We have new and well-maintained equipment and have taken the step to have equipment quality above that of standard rental gear you find with most dive centers. We hope this will offer our customers as well as experienced divers the opportunity to consider if they really need to bring their own equipment. We stock Apeks fully balanced regulators, Seaquest BCDs, open heel fins, shoes, masks and a selection of short/long wetsuits. Also Suunto dive computers/compasses and digital cameras are available for rent. We also have 72 12-liter cylinders with yoke valve and 10 with din inserts for customers with Din first stage. For those that tend to be a bit heavy on air, we have four 15 liter cylinders and for the smaller divers four 10 liter cylinders. We have a German built L&W 300 Nautic compressor with digital maintenance system to prevent any contamination in the cylinders. We follow the Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI) as well as Scuba Schools International (SSI) general standards and recommendations. Most of our dive sites are suitable for all diver levels and certifications. But, a few require Advanced open water certificate and more experience due to depths and possibilities for strong currents. If you wish to further your diving education one of our experienced instructors would be happy to assist you. We offer almost all SSI and PADI courses from recreational diving to professional diving.
Helsinki, Finland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Extremely unprofessional staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

Extremely unprofessional staff!!! Would not recommend to anyone!

I was diving with my husband with the Andaman Bubbles in April 2010. We had reserved 8 dives to each and payed in advance half of the sum.

By the second diving day I had developed a flu, and thought that I would not be diving
during that day, but "dive instructor" offered me some medicine (Sinex
Plus) so that I could dive. I dived twice during that day with the help of the medicine.

After those dives I developed a very strong pain in the ear and most of my
diving vacation ( 8 days) was ruined - no diving, just purchasing various
pain killers from the pharmacy, queing every day for the doctor who could
not help in any way. Neither did I receive any help or advice from the Andmana Bubbles.
One Indian man was studying there at that time for becoming a dive master, and he told
me that it had been unprofessional to offer me the medicine for diving. He speculated
that I had developed a barotrauma because of the medicine.

I consulted 7 times a doctor, and none of them had the ear lamp for looking
in my ear. Only back in Delhi I found an ear specialist and he made the
diagnosis of ruptured eardrum. It took few months to recover, and the scar
remains.

After contacting Andaman Bubbles for making a complaint about this (only after one year, but I wanted some kind of apology, and also ensure that the person would not do such thing for anybody else, this was done by the recommendation of another PADI dive instructor) .

In the email the staff told me that they do not remember this incident. I wanted to ensure that the Bubbles "dive masters" will never again do anything as unprofessional as offering flu medicine containing pain killers for divers.

Also apologies would have been expected.

Visited February 2011
4 Thank Sirpa_THR
NikhilMenon, Owner at Andaman Bubbles, responded to this review, 2 March 2012
Hi, this is in reference to your post on the unprofessional staff, i am sorry about your experience but your report was a year later and we were and are not aware of any such an incident. As a diver and owner I would like to say that we do not offer medication to any guests as a rule. You did not even mention this to us when you were on the island or ask for any assistance if this was so serious. Please also remember that an instructor is more knowledgeable and experienced than a divemaster trainee who you had met at the hospital, so taking his or her advise is really not advisable. I am sorry about the way things turned out but please keep in mind that we at Andaman Bubbles strive to run a very professional organisation and we are proud to say that we have been extremely successful so far in accomplishing this endevour.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Edmonton, Canada
112 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 180 helpful votes
“Unspoiled Diving”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

Anyone that has traveled in India knows that it is hectic and draining. We had planned our trip to India and didn't want to return home more tired than when left so we headed to the Andaman Islands for a few days of diving and R & R.
We had contacted Andaman Bubbles in advance and liked the communications we had. The day we arrived on the island we headed straight to the dive shop to set up diving for the next day. We met with Jonathon. He was a happy, enthusistic guy and without any hesitation we booked 5 days of diving over the next week.
There was an Australian couple that were booked to dive the same days we were and since Andaman Bubbles keeps their groups small and assigns only 4 divers per dive master, the 4 of us were designated as a group.
The overall experience was very good, but there was a couple of things that could use some improvement. First is more an Havelock Island dive industry deficiency rather than an Andaman Bubbles deficiency. The boats that are used to access the dive sites are traditional local boats called 'dunghis'. I did not see all of the boats from all of the dive shops but the 1/2 dozen I did see were all in need of repair. The 'Rock n Rolla', our boat for 5 days was no different. There were several floor boards that were not secure and part of the gunnel that we rolled into the water from was non existent. The boat need a general overhaul, but it did get us out to the dive sites and back 5 days. The other thing about those boats that needs to be considered is the motor. They are outfitted with ancient diesel tractor motors that do not have a muffler system. These are extremely noisy and smelly. I'm quite sure a better solution could be had. The other thing that was not proper customer service was; one of the days we headed out in our dunghis for a days diving, one of the Andaman Bubbles owners left in the fancy speed boat for a day long joyride. From my perspective customer service dictates that the customer should benifit from the best the company has to offer and the worker, and especially the owner should make do with what is remaining. If the speed boat was going out that day the customer should have been on it, not the owner. (The reason I know it was a joyride is because I was chatting with the young lady that he was taking out to see the sites and she said the ride had no special purpose)
With those two items out of the way. The rest of our diving experience was great. The dives sites chosen were very good and we enjoyed every dive. The diving in the Andaman's is not for the faint of heart. From my view it was quite difficult and technical. After our first dive the dive master felt that the four of us were capable of tackling the more advanced dive sites and he did say that less experience divers can be accomodated in differant areas but the places we went we contented with 1 1/2 meter swells and very strong currents. The terrain and fish were worth every second of the difficulties.
The staff at the dive shop was excellent. Right from the day we contacted them by email until the last day when we settled up the bill. The office staff was always helpful and they made themselves available early in the morning till late evening. Each day unravelled as they had outlined and the adgenda was easy to follow. Each day when we arrived at the dive shop on the beach the gear we rented was at the staging area ready to be checked and loaded on the boat. All of the days tanks were rigged with the regs. and BCDs and on the boat. The dive master was ready to go and all we had to do was climb in and we were off. The dive master was quite good and kept us on a long leash, letting us do our own diving while making sure none of us disappeared. He and the two fellows on the boat were also a great help with equipment when it came time to exit the water in challanging conditions.
As this was not a dive specific trip we took a minimal amount of dive gear with us, computers and a prescription mask. We had to rent all of the other gear. The gear at Andaman Bubbles is good gear and is in good shape. It all functioned quite well during our whole trip. They have safety sausages and whistles in every BCD, I think a wise addition considering the currents we experienced.
I think that Andaman Bubbles is one very short step away from being a world class operation and that would be the boats, but don't let the dunghis stop you from booking your trip to the Andamans or from booking with Andaman Bubbles. We had a great time and I'm quite sure the folks there treated us no differant than any of their other customers. You will have a spectacular time diving with them.

Visited October 2011
3 Thank MurTheExplorer
NikhilMenon, Owner at Andaman Bubbles, responded to this review, 2 March 2012
Hi, sorry for this late response to your post, first off my apologies for the state of our boats but please be rest assured that we have had them fixed. The off season does take its toll on these boats and getting spares from the mainland dos take time. To clear the air on the comment about the speed boat being used for a day long joyride, this was misinformation provided by the young lady who was a new staff at the time. The fact is we were on our way to Port Blair to pick up guests who wanted a private ferry transfer and had paid a substantial amount of money for this private transfer. I was personally on the boat as this was the first long distance trip the boat was doing in the season.
I sincerely thank you for your positive comments and look forward to seeing you on the island diving with us. Cheers