“O-H, how great it is!”
Review of The Blackwell

The Blackwell
Ranked #3 of 145 Hotels in Columbus
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I was at The Blackwell for OSU Orientation in June. This is my 2nd visit to The Blackwell, a year apart and I am happy to say that it was a great visit, as it was last year. This visit, my daughter and I used the complimentary Airport Service and it was on time and great not to have any worries. Upon arrival at the hotel, our room was not quite ready, so they held our luggage while we found our way through campus. The front desk gave us a great map and upon return we were able to go straight up to our room.

Breakfast buffet was included both days which for us being small eaters, was perfect. The food was fine, but if we wanted fresh made to order food, we would have ordered off the menu and payed ourselves, not a big deal. I loved the paper in the mornings and the coffee in the room was great as well.

This is the best hotel to stay in, plus it is really part of the campus. I think it is run by OSU Business School and run very well. All employees are happy, polite and knowledgable especially because I was very unfamiliar with the campus to start with.

There are plenty of walkable restaurants, but the front desk will call a cab for you if needed. Also, there is a complimentary Business Center on the Mezzanine Level where I was able to print out our boarding passes.

We will be frequent visitors here!

Room Tip: Either side of the building is great, although Ohio Stadium was beautiful!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 9 July 2012

We had a weekend visit to Ohio State University to see out godsons. The Blackwell has an ideal location to campus, very easy for us all to meet up.

The pluses outweigh the minuses. Although the rooms were clean, they had the wrong sized dust ruffles in the bed. I thought it was just our room, but we checked and other rooms had the same problem. It not only looked bad (they literally were hanging uneven all around), but it gave the feeling of being "unclean". The hotel would be wise to invest in bedding that was simple and well fitting.

The staff was truly wonderful! They were friendly and warm, and went out of their way to be helpful. Definitely got us past the ugly rooms!

There is a shuttle to and from the airport, which was helpful. We asked to use the shuttle for another drop off that was aprox 10 minutes away. Frankly, they could have charged us a fee and we still would have used it. Instead, we had a grumbly driver complaining that we are out of the way. We tipped very generously, and were under no obligation to do so. The hotel would be smart to make the shuttle available for local transit with a fee so the staf were a little happier about doing it.

The restaurant was good. We had a very nice brunch with 10 of us seated quickly and given the same great service we had at the hotel in general.

Overly, a nice stay. Im not a snob, but the hotel isn't cheap for the area, and the aesthetics should be fixed. The great staff made up for it.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We were in town for the Girls Volleyball Junior Nationals. The league books all the hotels close to the convention center so it was impossible to get a reservation without going thru them. The Blackwell was not on their list, so we were able to get a room. It was not far from the Convention Center if you drive.

The Blackwell was much nicer than I thought it would be. I've been at other Big Ten school hotels and this one is much nicer than, for example, the one at MSU, the Kellogg Center. The rooms are nice, well appointed, and huge. The beds are great. Service is generally good. Our room had a king bed, with two work stations with work lamps & outlets, flat screen tv, built-in drawers, nice closet, relaxing chair (to watch tv). The view is pretty bleak---lots of parking lot and cement around. My husband commented that at least at the Kellogg Center you get a view of trees.

Nice things; students run the place and they are as nice as can be. Parking was free because they didn't have anyone manning the ticket booth (not much demand, so made sense). Place is well kept up.

One problem: we were there when it was about 100 F and 100% humidity. The AC was going full blast and it was really chilly. Because of the AC or HVAC system, the room had a damp, musty smell to it. I smelled it immediately and thought it was disgusting--kind of like wet, dirty socks. My husband (who has no nose I suppose) said it wasn't so bad. I wanted to move, but we decided to see if it improved when you turned the AC down. It didn't--at least to me. The only saving grace is that you get used to the smell after awhile. Everytime you enter the room though, you smell it all over again.

I wouldn't say that the hotel was a really good deal, given that we were in Columbus. We got a OSU Visitor rate of $153/night including 2 breakfast buffets. We forgot about the buffet though and went out to eat! Bummer! Didn't even notice the restaurant!

Food hint: If you love ice cream go to Jeni's near the convention center. This ice cream is to die for!!! Best flavors: plum sake sorbet, grapefruit frozen yogurt. i want to buy their cookbook!

Room Tip: Sniff it out first if the AC is on!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2012

From my check in to my check out everything at this hotel was superb. Excellent customer service. The room was very clean and well put together. I had no complaints...and I am not always the easiest person to please! lol

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 July 2012

This was my third stay at the Blackwell and every time, the staff is attentive and friendly, the rooms clean and comfortable, room service is timely and tasty. If you have business on campus at OSU, this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: Avoid the conference suite if you can. The bed is a disappearing bed that sticks out too far from t...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business