DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Columbus Downtown
Ranked #55 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Granger, Indiana
“Good & Bad”
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Stayed here for a weekend getaway / show at the Palace Theater. The experience was a bit of a mixed bag.

The location, for our needs, was perfect. The theater is literally across the street. The rooms (despite an odd layout) were good, very clean. All in all, a fine experience. Didn't eat there, so can't speak to food quality.

Two elements, unfortunately, downgrade the rating. First, the front desk staff simply didn't have their act together. I've worked in the service industry, so tend to cut a lot of slack. However, these folks simply didn't seem to be well trained & seemed to be unwilling to work together, or communicate, for the benefit of the guest. We didn't have a single positive interaction, with anyone at the desk.

Also, parking was....messy. They're a bit handcuffed, due to location & utilizing a shared public garage. Still, there were times during the weekend, where it was simply impossible to get out. The lines were ridiculous, taking 30+ minutes to get out of the garage, on multiple occasions. I'm not sure what they can actually do about it, but it's something to keep in mind, if considering this hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Robert K, Director of Sales at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Columbus Downtown, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Thank you for your response. I am sorry our desk staff did not meet your needs and go above and beyond for you. I will get this information to our front new office manager who is doing new training with our staff and always wants to improve our guest quality. Unfortunately we do not own the garage, and do not control their staffing. Like most downtown garage facilities I know if there is a show or event in the area it dose take time to get out not only because of staffing but getting out onto the streets. I do hope you will return and see our improvements with our desk staff and that we want you to enjoy yourself while here. If there is anything else feel free to contact me.

Director of Sales
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Charleston, West Virginia
Reviewed 15 March 2012

The hotel was well kept and had very nice furnishings. The rooms were as described and met the needs of my visit. The hotel location is convenient to COSI, the Palace Theatre, good for a stroll on the Scioto Mile.... all within walking distance. We were given complimentary breakfast which the food was fair, but slightly bland. The staff preparing the food in the breakfast restaurant area were quite pleasant to encounter (smiling, asking about food quality, etc), however I wish I could say the same for the wait staff including the host & hostess. The wait staff as well as host/hostess were not friendly, didn't smile, were not courteous in the least. My first thought was "these folks must really hate their job". It was disappointing considering what wonderful and helpful staff that were present in most every other area of this location

Would I stay there again? ABSOLUTELY but next time I will seek breakfast elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for your response. I am sorry our restaurant staff did not make you feel welcomed. This is one of our most important priorities we want our staff to know and display to all guest. I have passed this information on to our Food and Beverage manager so he can work with our staff and improve the way we great our guest. We use this site as a training tool for our staff so they know how our guest feels and they can do a better job. I am happy to hear your would return and I want to help make the next trip even better. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. We look forward to seeing you again

San Jose del Cabo, Mexico
Reviewed 6 March 2012

The property was clean, professional and classy. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your response. We are happy the hotel was what you wanted and hope you will return soon.

Cleveland
Reviewed 6 March 2012

The hotel was fine. Convenient location to my morning meeting, lovely large rooms, clean, comfortable and everything I would want in a hotel EXCEPT...

I went into the restaurant for breakfast at 7:20a.m. The waitress asked me if I wanted coffee and if I wanted the buffet. I said yes to the coffee but wanted to see the menu. With a short glance over the menu, I ordered blueberry pancakes. Then I waited. I drank a cup of coffee, finished the crossword, and a second cup of coffee. Waited. Asked for some water, which was provided eventually. At 7:40 a.m, I realized that I needed to get ready to get to my meeting, so I left without eating breakfast.

Twenty minutes might be an appropriate wait for dinner but breakfast? Seems to me that the server was punishing me for declining the buffet or else the cook had to send someone to the grocer's for blueberries. The restaurant was not busy, about 25% of the tables taken and most eating from the buffet.

Next time, I will take a walk and find a restaurant off site.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Just stayed at this Doubletree and am totally amazed that the customer service could be so poor at a major brand. We arrived a few minutes after 4pm to a line 6 deep for check in. Of course they only had one person so after close to 10 minutes of waiting we were informed that neither of our rooms are ready. We asked for a "guesstimate" only to be told I don't know. The bar/lounge doesn't open till 5 and there are very few seats in the tiny lobby - so where do we go? We drove around downtown Columbus for a bit, then decided just to go to dinner. We come back at 7pm and of course only one room is ready - COME ON!!

I had a corner room andthe room was large but the room freshener was over powering. The bed i must say was very comfortable. We went down to the bar for a drink and the bartender was ok but the waitresses were busy having their own little loud conversations and could care less who was there. The morning breakfast was equally bad. We had to flag our waitress down for coffee, to take our order and get our bill - yes 3 times to flag her down. (the restaurant was not overly busy). Upon check out my colleague had an error on his bill - an additional charge from the bar that wasn't his. After some complaining at the front desk they did cut our room bills in half so all was not loss. Oh yeah, no cookies at check in - a DT trademark. Avoid avoid avoid this hotel. Stay at the Sheraton or one of the properties near Easton.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business