“Not a great Hampton”

Ranked #21 of 143 Hotels in Columbus
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Not a great Hampton”
Reviewed 3 October 2011

For an airport location, this Hampton is a dump! Normally these locations are modern and up-to-date. That is not the case for this hotel. It's not dirty or horrible, it's just not the best it could be. The price reflects this too. It is a lot cheaper than other Hamptons.

Also, the location - as other people have written - is a bit tricky. We had a GPS and it led us there perfectly, but I thought I was going in the wrong direction more than once.

The breakfast was a standard Hampton breakfast. No newspaper at more door like usual. Overall, it's okay if you have to stay one night. One positive note: I never heard a plane take off or land. And that's pretty amazing when you consider how close it is to the airport!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
USA
Reviewed 2 October 2011

Stayed here just 1 night with the family in order to catch a very early morning flight. Like others have said, the U-turns, one-ways, and just general traffic pattern in general in this area seems like it was put together by at least 2 of the 3 Stooges. But, that's not Hampton Inn's fault - it is good Ol' Ohio engineering.

However, what IS Hampton Inn's fault is the general lack of cleanliness and overall condition of this hotel. It has seen it's better days and is definitely NOT up to the usual standard that you'll find at most Hampton Inns.

The carpet in the first floor entry and hallways was disgusting - looked like it was steamed cleaned about 2 days after the hotel was built and they are still waiting to clean it again (no, it really isn't 100 year Stainmaster carpet).

The room itself was dingy/dirty, with the carpet being in bad shape, but nothing like the main lobby's carpet. The walls were marked up, chipped up, holed up, and whatever else upped. Nasty.

The lobby is busy and loud - but, I can accept that since it's at the airport. Also, the staff seemed nice and the location really was convenient. So, it's not all bad.

It just looks like nobody cares about the overall condition of this place. I love Hampton Inns, but will definitely NOT stay here again.

There is a Hilton Garden Inn right beside it that I may try if I need to stay at the airport again - or, I'll just pitch a tent in the nearby field, as the tent's floor will be in better condition than the one at this Hampton Inn.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel if you want a clean one.
Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 August 2011

We came to this hotel after canceling our reservation at the Ramada down the street in a very bad part of town. It took us forever to figure out how to get to it with all of the one way streets surrounding it (you have to loop around and make a U turn before the rental car drop off and parking garages). The people at the front desk were very friendly and accommodating. The lady gave us better instructions of how to find the entrance to the parking lot. We told them we were in town for a concert and when we got back later that night, they asked us how it was as we passed by. Very nice people. The TV was outdated and not had 20 or so basic channels. The bathroom was clean, though the toilet was awkwardly low. I didn't sleep well at all, but I thought the bed was quite comfortable anyway. Our air conditioner made a trickling sound all night and it all made sense in the morning when the carpet was soaked. The breakfast was very nice; There was a Belgian waffle maker, juice, different kinds of coffee, eggs, omelets, bacon, bread, bagels, cereal, yogurt, fruit, and probably even more. The tables and chairs in the breakfast area were pretty old and nasty. We were told over the phone that the rates were $99 a night. After taxes, the total was $150, so be aware of that. If we ever come back to Columbus, we would probably not stay here just because of the high rates and difficulty to get to.

• Stayed August 2011
El Dorado Hills, California
Reviewed 1 August 2011

I've stayed overnight at this Hampton Inn at the Columbus, Ohio airport on several occasions over the past few years. I've always found it to be clean and comfortable, and very convenient if you're arriving late or departing early. There's a shuttle that runs to and from the terminal, also free parking if you have a rental car or your own vehicle. The breakfast service is a nice touch, and although it's not the same as eating at a coffee shop or something, there are plenty of choices such as bagels and cream cheese, fresh fruit, yogurt and a variety of breakfast cereals to get you by if you don't want the pre-made hot dishes (like bisquits and gravy) that they typically have. They do have a self-serve Belgian waffle maker that makes a very nice waffle, that's my favorite. Be aware that this hotel is within the airport property and is therefore right next to where the flights take off and land, so you will hear some of that noise. But in my opinion they've done a good job of sound-proofing to keep the noise level down, and from late night to early morning I don't think there are any flights landing or departing. I won't hesitate to stay here again when I'm passing through Columbus airport.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Good- The breakfast was free and it was good, they had a waffle maker to make your own waffles on the days that guest didn't break it by putting butter in it.
Good- The shuttle was also free and went to the Easton shopping center everyday which was nice unless you need to be somewhere at a certain time, then you are better off renting a car or leaving really early and waiting around where you need to be because there is only one shuttle so you never know when it is coming or going.
Good- It is right on the airport grounds so you don't have to leave early for your flight and they have a 24 hour shuttle to the airport.
Good- I felt safe, and that is very important to me.
Good- wifi was free and always worked good

Bad- The staff for the most part is unfriendly and acts put out if you ask a question or need anything.
Bad - The bedding was not changed everyday, and it became obvious when we found our cellphone inside the neatly made bed.
Bad - I was also not happy when each day the cleaning people put my coffee condiments (cream sugar, ect..) back in the basket without the item that I had used, so after 2 days I was left with the package of the sweet n low and napkin, but not the sugar and the stir sticks that I needed. I have never seen that not be replaced with a fresh pack containing everything in it.
Bad- there was suppose to be some sort of grab and go snacks at night until 10, but I went down at 9:30 a couple of times and they seen to be gone and they obviously don't keep it filled.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Columbus
0.1 km away
3.6 km away
Embassy Suites by Hilton Columbus - Airport
2.4 km away
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbus Airport

Been to Hampton Inn Columbus Airport? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK