“Ok hotel, but great location for Playhouse Square”

Wyndham Cleveland at Playhouse Square
Ranked #28 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Granger, Indiana
“Ok hotel, but great location for Playhouse Square”
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Stayed this past weekend, to catch a concert at Playhouse Square. Overall, it was fine. However, you simply can't beat the location, if you're in town for the theater.

Positive: Front desk & valet were excellent. Very friendly, even made sure we had dinner reservations. As I stated, the location is perfect for the theater, but is also easily walkable for the Q, Progressive Field & all the food & entertainment options on 4th Street. Room was very clean. Nice ergonomic chair. Flat screen tv had actual HD channels.

Just Ok: The room itself. It was fine, but nothing special. Price was acceptable, but not a "deal." The location is what made it worth the money.

Not so great: The bed. WAY too soft, we both woke up pretty sore. It's also pretty noisy. You can hear EVERYTHING in the hall. The heating / ac unit didn't work...not even the fan. Fortunately, due to excellent weather, it wasn't a big deal. We didn't even bother mentioning it until check-out.

If the price was right, we'd stay here for future theater trips.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mike B
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 19 March 2012

My three children and I recently were on a road trip through Ohio and made a pitstop at the Wyndham Cleveland on March 15th. Overall the service at the Wyndham was fantastic! Our check-in was effortless and very friendly, Tina at the front desk even called our room 15 minutes later to ensure that everything was to our liking.
The kids wanted to go swimming after being in the car for quite a long time. We were then notified that the pool was out of order, needless to say that the 2 year old was very disappointed. I called Tina at the front desk and asked if she could make any suggestions on other forms of entertainment for a family with young children. She was extremely appologetic and asked for some time to try and sort this issue out. 45 minutes later she called back with a fantastic solution. Tina and her co-workers arranged for my family to use the pool at a neighbouring hotel. I can't tell you what a relief it was to have this alternative! The quick thinking and efficiency that was displayed to my family and I was overwhelming, I don't think I have ever received this type of service in my lifetime! Thank you Tina, you really saved the evening in Cleveland and my sanity ;)
The valet parking (although extremely expensive) was very effcient. I had to get a few items out of my car late that night and the valet attendant was very polite and quick!
The only slight disappointment that I had with the Wyndham was that it was quite clear that the room had not been vacuumed. This was a little upsetting because I had young children with me who tend to be on the floor playing.
Thank you to Tina for your outstanding work, my family and I sincerely appreciated it!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank amanda a
HospitalityMgr, Manager at Wyndham Cleveland at Playhouse Square, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Dear amanda a,

We are so happy that you decided to stay with us this past month. While I apologize that our pool was not available the night you checked in I am pleased to hear we had a workable solution for you and your children! Our staff will be made aware of the kind and helpful service you received from Tina and others at our property. We hope to see you again during your next pit-stop in Cleveland!

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 11 March 2012

We recently needed lodging while visiting the Cleveland Clinic. Our room was large, nicely appointed and comfortable. The free shuttle service from the hotel to the Cleveland Clinic was a real plus as we could leave our car in parking for duration of our week there. The on site restaurant, Encore, provided a full range of choices and our food was excellent. The staff was very helpful and understanding regarding our ever changing schdule at the Clinic. Twice we had to extend our expected stay and then needed a late check out which was easily granted. A final feature is the on site laundry room which is available 24/7 gratis for guests.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Col_Mustard1
HospitalityMgr, Manager at Wyndham Cleveland at Playhouse Square, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
Dear Col_Mustard1,

Thank you for choosing the Wyndham for your visit to Cleveland and the Clinic. I am very happy to hear that you found our staff to be helpful, understanding, and flexible with you and your schedule. It is also wonderful that you were able to schedule times to utilize our convenient shuttle service to get you back and forth to the Clinic. You are right, our on site laundry is also a big benefit if you are staying for a few days! We look forward to seeing you again!

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Being a native Clevelander, I have always wanted to stay at the Wyndham. It is located, within walking distance, right next to the theater district, Playhouse Square, which is why we chose to stay there. We had tickets to a show and thought that we would make it a night. We arrived around 4:00 which is usual check-in for most hotels. We were told our room would be ready in a half hour or so, but that wasn't the case. Our room wasn't ready until around 6:30. We were disappointed because we wanted to rest and clean up prior to our show and, because of the delay, we weren't able to do that. The manager was apologetic and offered us a free appetizer and some drinks to make up for the wait. We accepted his offer.
Our room was beautiful and quite large for a downtown hotel, however, it smelled strongly of what we think must have been cigarette smoke. I called the front desk and they offered to come upstairs to "spray", but did not offer another room. We stayed in the room, but were very unhappy because we felt like we were inhaling second-hand smoke the entire evening. We told them about the problem again upon check-out, but the front desk clerk didn't comment on our remarks.
Our stay at this hotel had the potential to be a beautiful one. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out that way.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank terry_tcloth
HospitalityMgr, Manager at Wyndham Cleveland at Playhouse Square, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Dear terry_tcloth,

Please accept our sincerest apologies for not getting you in your desired room in a timely manner. We strive to ensure that each and every guest experience is satisfying. Please know that your feedback is important to us and will be communicated to our staff. It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you.

Hospitality Manager

Travellers are raving about these Cleveland hotels

Raleigh, Nc
Reviewed 13 February 2012

The Wyndhan is running a great deal right on weekends now through the end of March. Your first night is $109, you second night is whatever the highest temperature at the airport is that day! I was just there Friday and Saturday night 2/10 & 2/11. The high temp on Saturday was 19! Quite a deal. The rooms are clean, bathrooms are spacious and you are right in the middle of Playhouse Square. My son is with the Case Western Reserve MFA program of Acting, so I was there to go to his play at the Cleveland Playhouse which was just a short walk across the street. The other playhouses are right there also, as well as many fine restaurants. Try Corks, Brizza and a cheap breakfast can be had at the A Cafe. The hotel offers a Happy Hour on Friday from 4 - 7 with half priced drinks and appitizers. We got the pork sliders and they were delicious. I did not eat any other meals at the hotel, but if the appitizer was any indication than the food is probably good.

There is a pool, hot tub and sauna in the basement but I didn't have a chance to use it. The facilities all looked well taken care of and clean. Towels were provided.

The only negative comment I have is that on Sunday morning at 9:00a.m someone came by and knocked on the door to find out when we were checking out. My son and I were still sleeping as check out was not until noon. I have never had that happen and frankly, they should stop doing that. I guess I should have put my "come back later" sign on my door.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank kathryn56
HospitalityMgr, Manager at Wyndham Cleveland at Playhouse Square, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
Dear Kathryn56,

Thank you for taking advantage of our "Snow News is Good News" package! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, including, our great location to the Playhouse and our delicious appetizers. We look forward to seeing you the next time visit Cleveland!