“almost perfect but.....” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 38 Hotels in Cleveland
Russellville, Alabama
“almost perfect but.....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

This is a great hotel due to its location, decor, and great staff. I did encounter one issue on my first night that sould not happen at a 5 star hotel. I do understand this is a historic building and they are working to update the heating cooling system. After checking in a went to my room to relax from my flight freshen up before heading the fisrt event. When I got to the room it was hot and humid. It could not get the air to come on nor could I even get a fan to blow without the heat on too. I was able to open the windows about 12 inches. The room decor was nice, it was clean, did have some sloppy maintenance work in the bathroom with caulk and paint but not a big issue. As I was leaving I stopped by the front desk, told them I could not figure out how to get the air on. They then told me and I quote "I'm sorry but we are in the middle of updateing up heating and cooling, your room only has one setting, heat." Then she continues to tell me that I can cool the room by opening the window, or she could try and move me to an inside room but I would still not have AC but those room tend to stay coolar. I had an issue of leaving my window open as I did want to come back to room full of insects or pigoens (no screens), there was no need to move to another hot room and didnt have time. I ask for a fan which they did place in my room. I did sleep with my window open and the fan made it comfortable, but then the morning traffic noise and helicopters did not allow me to sleep in.

I would stay here again if I knew I was not going to have HVAC issues. The location is really good, the train from the airport ends under the hotel and they are also connected to the city center. You actually never have to step a foot outside from the airport to your room. The city center again you dont have to step a foot outside to go there as they are connected, it has movie theater, entire shopping mall, a Hardrock Cafe and many other eating places. The ritz also connects into the same city center. Walking around the Hotel is safe and clean with lots of nice bars, shops and eating places.

Room Tip: ask for a room with the updated heating and air system
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank SRICHESON
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

You know it's a Marriott so my expectations usually are that I want it clean, roomy and a convenient location. It manages all three and I thought the value was good. Had a nice view of the lake. The lobby is beautiful with space to relax. I will stay there again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

This hotel is very old, and despite their best efforts (you can tell they're tried, which is why my rating is not lower), it shows. The rooms are tiny and do not have most of the basic amenities you'd expect from any hotel, let alone a Renaissance. The temperature in the room had to be nearly 80 degrees and nothing could be done to change it. Also, their parking situation is poorly communicated. I parked in a lot next door (per their suggestion) instead of the garage, but once the weekend started a gate was put up and I could only exit through the garage, where they did not believe I had paid each day at the lot machine. No one ever mentioned the lot could not be parked in on the weekend beforehand.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Matthew K
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

OUTSTANDING!! If you love historic hotels, you will love Renaissance Cleveland Hotel. This place is outstanding. The rooms are updated and they are updating them even more. The rooms are very spacious. The hotel is convenient to everything. It is a part of the Tower City complex. The staff is extremely friendly! You match their attitude with the outstanding atmosphere, you have an award winning combination. The hallways are very roomy. The decor reminds me of the golden days of traveling with fancy chandeliers and tasteful decor. The lobby is HUGE! This hotel is a true gem in Cleveland.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank jacklbarnhart
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Beautiful renovated hotel within walking distance of great restaurants, mass transit and the ball park. Check out the Sans Souci restaurant in the hotel. The food and service is outstanding. I will make this hotel my regular stay for business.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business