All reviewsthe main houseohio citywest side marketwebster roombed and breakfastgreat lakes breweryb bsbreakfast was deliciouswithin walking distancesitting roomthird floorcouple blocksnext morningeach morninggreat bedfresh fruita wonderful stay
Reviewed 14 August 2012

J.Palen House is a decent place to stay with central location in the now popular Ohio City. Our room was nice and the bathroom especially so. But the turn off for me was the attitude of the hostess Diane. From the very beginning when my wife was making the reservation and she could hear my autistic son acting up in the background, to which she commented "I hope he can behave better when he is here", to the snarky threatening emails regarding the return of an arm chair cover mistakenly in our luggage - "Shall I have one made or will you send it now?" even though I had made it clear I regularly visit family in Cleveland. She couldn't wait a month for a stinky arm chair cover to come back upon my next visit in September for the Air Show. In addition, if you read the guest book, it is clear that Diane considers the place "her house" and that you are there to play by her rules and expectations. Nothing extra is given without being chargfed for it. We received no friendly information about new stuff in Ohio City. When I inquired about early coffee which the guest book says is available, I was informed that it was no longer offered because so many guests spill and make a mess in the rooms which costs her extra time and money. She really seemed put out to have to do the extra work. The same is true of the late evening Port which the guest book says is out at night and invites you to partake. But it is not there. Diane seemed more concerned during our stay about going on her 3-day holiday than us. For someone of so exacting a nature, you would think that she could take the time to amend her guest book and take out the expectation of early coffee and late Port before bed. In addition, although the food at breakfast is good, it is not exceptional in any way. And as the dining room is small, I was made to feel obligated to give up my seat as others came in. She really needs to have staggered times for breakfast rather than all coming at once. Finally, God forbid anyone talk too loud or your child even act up a little. Again, the atmosphere in the dining area is wound tighter than a drum with little personality. Maybe vinyl on all the precious furniture would suit the hostess better. That way she would not have to go out of her way in case anyone make a mistake in Grandma's house. In the end, although the J. Palen House is comfortable physically, it is just the opposite mentally, as it has an uncomfortable unwelcoming air about it that stems form the hostess. I felt like an unwelcome relative over for a short visit and just another meal ticket for the owners.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank Mike D
Reviewed 8 August 2012

We stayed in the Landis Suite at the J. Palen House in mid-July for two nights, our 2nd visit. We enjoyed an excellent stay while we toured Cleveland sights. The House was located perfectly for seeing Ohio City, the West Side Market, attending an Indians game and dining at a few of the restaurants (Sokolowski's and Bar Cento - both excellent) in the area. It was great to catch up with Diane who remains very helpful and hospitable. The Landis Suite is very comfortable and well-appointed; we slept well. Breakfast was excellent. The J. Palen House is now our go-to inn when we visit downtown Cleveland.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2012

We spent 3 wonderful nights at The Kabat House in the lovely Ohio City neighborhood of Cleveland. The Kabat House is a cozy 2 bedroom house located about a block from the J. Palen House. We had a late arrival so we never met our hosts, but we were welcomed with snacks and a delicious breakfast of quiche, muffins, fresh fruit and juice was left in the refrigerator for the next morning, as I had an early conference to attend. The house is fresh and modern with lots of sky lights and an excellent use of space. The two bedrooms are located on the second floor and share a bathroom with a spacious shower (no tub). The master bedroom has a comfy reading chair and even has a little outdoor deck. The bed was was very comfortable with lush linens and lots of pillows. The second bedroom is smaller, but nicely designed with a very sweet little cubby that would be perfect for an older child. The kitchen is fully equipped so we decided to skip the 9:00 breakfasts at The J. Palen house and enjoy our breakfasts "at home." And "at home" is exactly how we felt in this beautiful little house. The Ohio City neighborhood is delightful and we walked to dinner each night at local restaurants. We really loved Momocho, a unique & modern Mexican restaurant just around the corner. We thoroughly enjoyed our time in Cleveland and we are looking forward to returning to The Kabat House again and again!

Room Tip: The Kabat House is about a block away from the main J Palen House, although we never made it over there because we were so happy to stay in our own sweet house.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JoanneMLeslie
Reviewed 27 July 2012

My husband and I were looking for a bed and breakfast in Cleveland and found this GEM in Ohio City. Wow! What a great time. We checked in at 4:00 and were warmly welcomed by innkeeper, Diane. She was extremely helpful in giving us tips about the neighborhood food/bar scene and even gave us a coupon for 10% off for many of the restaurants. EVERYTHING you could ask for was in walking distance of the house. We took her advice and ate at multiple restaurants in the area...great and FUN idea! The next day we were served a beautiful 3 course breakfast with coffee and orange juice. SO yummy! We walked to the west side Market where we spent the rest of our morning and ate lunch. What a perfect day!

The house itself is stunning and well cared for. The accommodations where clean, modern, beautifully decorated and inviting. We stayed in the Webster room which had a jacuzzi bath....well worth the price! The bed was so comfortable, the sheets and bedding where very high quality along with the very comfortable pillows! I like sleeping in a cool room with a fan. The central air kept the room perfectly cool and the ceiling fan was quit yet the perfect amount of white noise ( I know...kinda silly, but I have a hard time sleeping without a fan!). We did the anniversary package so upon arrival we had freshly dipped chocolate strawberries and a bottle of champagne. Our room was beautiful and attention to detail was noticed. We also had access to a refrigerator with soft drinks, bottle water and some homemade baked goods and chips. This was a nice touch.

Thank you Diane for the wonderful stay! We will be back in the future!

Room Tip: jacuzzi bath and balcony
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mirthful16
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We stayed in the Retreat for two nights - conference for me, and my husband tagged along. The bed was plush and comfy, we had access to a full kitchen with a Keurig coffeemaker, with snacks and homemade sweets every day. Enjoyed the big jacuzzi and large glass shower. The owner and staff are very friendly and helpful. Lots to see and do in the neighborhood, and downtown is just a 15 minute walk (or quick easy bus ride). We'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: Consider one of the rooms at The Lofts, a separate house near the main B&B. Lovely sitting area in the landscaped garden that surrounds it.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business