“Ask for the Chinese Menu”
Review of Hunan East

Hunan East
Ranked #416 of 1,916 Restaurants in Cleveland
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 12 August 2015

They have it all, American Chinese and real Chinese. We do not prefer the Won Ton Soup, it tastes flat. There are some amazing items on the menu, scallops with bean sauce, spicy, pan fried noodles, wow, I am getting hunger. They offer lunch and dinner specials. They have white meat chicken. We go here at least once a month.

Reviewed 7 September 2014

I looked up authentic Chinese restaurants in Cleveland, and this was recommended. We ordered off both the Chinese and American menus. My beef noodle soup was with yellow lo mein noodles, stir fry beef (not stewed), and unflavorful salty beef broth. My water spinach was way too salty and apparently not washed well - there was a snail in it. The standard American fare was quite standard. The portions were huge for food that I'm ultimately going to toss. They gave out little packets of soy sauce and fortune cookies - tell-tale signs that this is a totally Americanized restaurant with Chinese servers only as front men for the Mexican cooks in the back. Will never go back.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We have gotten take-out from this restaurant many times over the years. The food is good and so reasonably priced that I have driven several minutes out of my way to get it. Everything has been good. I also had a delicious sit-down lunch there about 2 years ago that was one of the best meals for the money that I'd ever had - I think it cost about 6 bucks for a delicious, hot lunch with tea. There are other Chinese restaurants I like better, but especially if you are on a budget or just out to get food for a family meal, this is a very good place to go.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Should have listened to the reviews...this restaurant is not to our taste though evidently popular with folks in the area. When you can choose between Hunan on Coventry, Hunan in Solon, Hunan by the Falls in Chagrin or Ho Wah in Beachwood we would never go back here.

First we ordered rib appetizers and got a plate of cut up bones, looking like knuckles with very little meat on them. When I questioned them they claimed to be ribs...and not very good. Should have been our cue to leave. Karen had a noodle dish off their picture book menu. Large order but way too salty. Send it back for fried rice with shrimp...another large serving but kinda mushy. I had the shredded pork with garlic sauce...not very appetizing, nor tasty, with poor quality meat; same with beef chow mein.

You can do a whole lot better if you like Chinese food than eat at this restaurant, I am sorry to say.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Just this past week a professional review in the local paper led me to try this place, which from the outside was a place I never had interest in exploring. Ever. Due to the review I was led to try something called Shrimp Delight, and I also tried the chicken and corn soup and an eggroll.

For starters the person who answered the phone was overwhelmed and it seemed her nature the more overwhelmed the louder to be, based on my observations when I arrived...it wasn't that she didn't want to be more pleasant, but she was rushing...and the other wait staff seemed to be very quiet and patient with her...

The place is very small, and I would not particularly want to eat in. In spite of separate tables, it almost felt like it was a communal table...a row of about a half dozen chairs is placed along the windowed wall leaving very little aisle-way space to get to the counter for take out.

By time I made a quick errand on the way home, unloaded and put away groceries, it had been at least 20 minutes since I picked up the food and when I opened the containers, I found the food to be both generous in serving size and still HOT!

The container the soup was in was sealed securely. The chicken and corn soup was quite good, the corn sweet. The egg roll was a bit greasy and small. The entrée, shrimp delight, was mentioned in the article. It had at least 16 medium shrimp and much broccoli as well as some pepper, water chestnuts and mushrooms and a couple peapods. It was served with white rice. My complaints were that it appeared some of the shrimp were deveined haphazardly...and although hot and fresh tasting, it crossed the line into overly salty tasting. I didn't think to ask about MSG use...but had to wonder.

In spite of it, I think I would give it another try...maybe at a less hectic time I can ask more questions and/or be a bit more specific about the prep to have it be less salty tasting

Been to Hunan East? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK