“Good, cheap Chinese food!”
Review of Hunan East

Hunan East
Ranked #416 of 1,916 Restaurants in Cleveland
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We have gotten take-out from this restaurant many times over the years. The food is good and so reasonably priced that I have driven several minutes out of my way to get it. Everything has been good. I also had a delicious sit-down lunch there about 2 years ago that was one of the best meals for the money that I'd ever had - I think it cost about 6 bucks for a delicious, hot lunch with tea. There are other Chinese restaurants I like better, but especially if you are on a budget or just out to get food for a family meal, this is a very good place to go.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Should have listened to the reviews...this restaurant is not to our taste though evidently popular with folks in the area. When you can choose between Hunan on Coventry, Hunan in Solon, Hunan by the Falls in Chagrin or Ho Wah in Beachwood we would never go back here.

First we ordered rib appetizers and got a plate of cut up bones, looking like knuckles with very little meat on them. When I questioned them they claimed to be ribs...and not very good. Should have been our cue to leave. Karen had a noodle dish off their picture book menu. Large order but way too salty. Send it back for fried rice with shrimp...another large serving but kinda mushy. I had the shredded pork with garlic sauce...not very appetizing, nor tasty, with poor quality meat; same with beef chow mein.

You can do a whole lot better if you like Chinese food than eat at this restaurant, I am sorry to say.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Just this past week a professional review in the local paper led me to try this place, which from the outside was a place I never had interest in exploring. Ever. Due to the review I was led to try something called Shrimp Delight, and I also tried the chicken and corn soup and an eggroll.

For starters the person who answered the phone was overwhelmed and it seemed her nature the more overwhelmed the louder to be, based on my observations when I arrived...it wasn't that she didn't want to be more pleasant, but she was rushing...and the other wait staff seemed to be very quiet and patient with her...

The place is very small, and I would not particularly want to eat in. In spite of separate tables, it almost felt like it was a communal table...a row of about a half dozen chairs is placed along the windowed wall leaving very little aisle-way space to get to the counter for take out.

By time I made a quick errand on the way home, unloaded and put away groceries, it had been at least 20 minutes since I picked up the food and when I opened the containers, I found the food to be both generous in serving size and still HOT!

The container the soup was in was sealed securely. The chicken and corn soup was quite good, the corn sweet. The egg roll was a bit greasy and small. The entrée, shrimp delight, was mentioned in the article. It had at least 16 medium shrimp and much broccoli as well as some pepper, water chestnuts and mushrooms and a couple peapods. It was served with white rice. My complaints were that it appeared some of the shrimp were deveined haphazardly...and although hot and fresh tasting, it crossed the line into overly salty tasting. I didn't think to ask about MSG use...but had to wonder.

In spite of it, I think I would give it another try...maybe at a less hectic time I can ask more questions and/or be a bit more specific about the prep to have it be less salty tasting

Reviewed 19 January 2013

I went here recently for the first time even though it is only about a mile from my home. Friends said it has been here a long time but I never noticed it in a small shopping center. The place is small but there are many servers constantly checking on the table and giving us refills. Food was good--I had the Beef and Broccoli; friends had Garlic Chicken, Pork Egg Foo Yong, Sweet and Sour Pork. They had all been here before and liked it very much. Everyone thought the food was very good. I thought it was good, but not great. There are a couple other Chinese/Hunan restaurants around which I think are a bit better, but for one in the neighborhood this was a good choice.

Reviewed 17 June 2012

When looking for ethnic cuisine, we try to find the least "Americanised." While searching for a place serving something other than the usual Cantonese fair most of us have grown up with, I found many reviews, here and on Yelp, about Hunan East having "the most authentic" Chinese food in town. Several of those reviews were written by people who grew up in or traveled to Asia, so their assessments of authenticity carry a lot of weight. Intrigued, I finally got my family interested in going.

This innocuous restaurant is in a small shopping strip on Richmond Road, north of Wilson Mills Road and across from Richmond Mall. Though they claim to be closed for lunch on Sunday, they start serving dinner at noon, so essentially, they are open for lunch. The decor Is a little tacky (some more politely call it kitschy). There are two large tables in the middle with turntables in the centers for groups of eight to eat family-style. I didn't use the restroom, by which I often judge an eatery's cleanliness, but the dining area seemed to be clean. Service is not friendly or amiable, but it is efficient.

The menu books with photos of the presumably authentic dishes are pretty extensive, from the familiar fried rice to the exotic frogs legs or baby eels. Most were dishes we've never seen in any restaurant before. I didn't see any prices in the books. It was hard to narrow down our choices. We selected the shredded pea pods, sweet and sour eggplant, sweet and sour chicken, Singapore or Shanghai (I can't remember which) noodles and seafood in black bean sauce. I would have preferred more unusual choices, but we tried to choose items everyone in our group would like. Like most Asian dishes I've had around town, including Thai food, these were drowned in too much sauce. Still, they were all hot and well prepared, as well as tasty. Some were too salty, especially the noodles. I love salt, so for me to find something too salty, it must be excessive. The eggplant was a bit soggy, as it can tend to be, but it would have been better if it was a little firmer. The seafood was particularly good. Each piece of scallop, squid and shrimp was tender.

With such an interesting array of dishes on the menu, I will definitely be back to try as many as I can. Until I get invited to dinner at the home of a Chinese family, or until I can get to Asia, this may be the closest I'll get to real Chinese cooking. It's unfortunate that there aren't more restaurants like this that trust that many American palates are becoming more sophisticated and want the real deal, instead of patronizing "Americanised" versions of it. I wish they had a website with the menu, which would help them for marketing purposes, too..

Been to Hunan East? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK