New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Clifford House Bed and Breakfast

Clifford House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 13 Cleveland B&B and Inns
Aomori, Japan
“Super-Friendly, Comfortable, Great Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2011

Son, wife, and I enjoyed our one-night's stay in the spacious and well-furnished apartment (including a driveway parking space). Jim gave us a warm welcome, making us feel more like friends staying the night rather than paying guests. The B&B is just a block away from Ohio City's main thoroughfare and attractions, which I've so come to enjoy. In the morning, Jim cooked us a tasty, filling breakfast which totally met the dietary preferences which we had voiced at the time we made our reservation. While I can't vouch for a perfect stay -- on account of our son's report of minor discomforts with the sleep sofa and spare bed in the apartment -- I greatly enjoyed Jim as a host and the Clifford House as a base for Ohio City's numerous charms and attractions. I would be happy to return to Clifford House and I highly recommend it to others.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Andrew1234
jayycee4, Owner at Clifford House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 11 September 2011
Readers should note that the beds in question are a sleep sofa and a roll-away! A higher rate for a second room with a regular bed would have resulted in more comfort.

I thank the guest for an otherwise positive review.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Hamilton, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2011

My husband and I just returned from a weekend in Cleveland with another couple. The purpose of our trip was to visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

We selected the Clifford House B&B as our place to stay overnight based on the location - and it was perfect! Lots to do within walking distance of the bed and breakfast - great restaurants/bars/grocery store etc and only a 5 minute drive from the RRHF.

We were fortunate enough to be able to rent the selfcontained apartment attached to the Clifford house. This was perfect for two couples sharing the space. It had two very clean bathrooms, two beds (one upstairs and one down), plus a full sized kitchen.

The apartment was comfortable and cozy - and we would have been more than happy to spend several nights there. Our only complaint were the mattresses on the two beds - both couples commented that the mattresses have "dips" in the centre which causes you to roll into the centre of the mattress. So my suggestion to Jim the owner would be to look into replacing them with newer ones to improve your guests nights sleep.

The breakfast served the next morning was wonderful - more than enough food. Coffee was great too.

Overall the place was great and we would return again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank warmst
Sorry for your discomfort about the bed. You fail to mention one bed was a sleep sofa!

Both the sleep sofa and the bed mattress are newer quality products. Most guests find the full bed mattress in the bedroom very comfortable, and tell me so. The sleep sofa on the other hand is a sleep sofa. A higher guest rate for a second room with a regular bed would have addressed the issue. Sharing the Suite with the sleep sofa was considerably less. Most guests have commented on the comforable nature of the sleep sofa; better than expected.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2011

The B&B was in a great part of town, lots to do within walking distance and Jim's love and knowledge of the area showed. I wish we had more time to explore, we'll be back! The home and our room were very comfy, we felt like family.... And I got some puppy time in as I was missing our pets! Ohio City is a very interesting and historic neighborhood which we plan on learning more about, with Clifford House as the hub.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Tacoma, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Clifford House during Christmas last year for three nights. It really was like our home away from home. We loved our host, Jim, and his coonhound Sherlock (he let us "borrow" the dog for walks and we had great fun with him). We stayed on the third floor in the spacious Schneider Suite. The reason I gave the room four stars instead of five is that it was a very cold time of year and it got pretty chilly (more blankets?), but we used the fireplace one night and that made it incredibly toasty and cozy. The furniture and decor is beautiful and interesting without being the least bit fussy or old-lady-ish. Breakfast was delicious each morning we were there. Ohio City is a great historic neighborhood, though as some reviews have alluded to, it can be sketchy at night (another reason it was so great to walk with Sherlock!) The neighborhood is full of beautiful old homes and great restaurants like Heck's. Very short drive to downtown and Lake Erie. I simply adore Clifford House and look forward to our return!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank slowdiva
SG
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2008

I stayed at the Madison Extended Stay apartment in Clifford House Bed & Breakfast for a month.

It was definitely one of the very best bed & breakfast that I have stayed at. Price was good and James was a Wonderful host.

Further Plus points are that it's just a short walk to Dave's Superstore and the West Side Market, so shopping is not an issue & it's within walking distance to the W25 train station too, so getting aroiund Cleveland is not an issue if you don;'t have a car like me.

Definitely recommended.

Theodore
Singapore

• Liked — Price & Proximity to Amenities
  • Disliked — o
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)