“Some charm”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Circleville
Castle Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 5 Circleville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 October 2011

I spent an Anniversary weekend here with another couple. The food was good, although almost the same breakfast meal two days in a row (sausage and homemade sliced potatoes) so something completely new would have been nice.

The personal dinner was very tasty for me (roast beef) with a nice portion size and great salad and sides. Some toppings (sour cream chives, etc) for the potato would have knocked mine out of the park, but we only had the mini butter packets to work with. Others in the party had chicken cordon bleu and the salmon, which tasted very dry and were not finished. All agreed the roast beef was by far the best choice.

This place has a lot of potential to be fantastic. First they need to finish some of the updates they started, and upgrade some other parts. Most of all it needs a serious, major cleaning. Being old is not a excuse for not cleaning it up. The bathroom area in my suite showed no recent signs of being cleaned very well and the windows were "original" but don't appear to have seen a cloth anytime in the past few months. (A towel stuffed in the window is not a great scene either). Downstairs areas could use a couple more chairs around the parlor table to encourage people to hang out there, or even outside. They had two fireplaces outside, and we spent both evenings outside but were not offered the fire either time.

Even the shared coffee pot on the second floor looked like it had been sitting there uncleaned for months. No way was I going to even attempt to try that. Having a "shared" fridge for all the guests seems a little ridiculous. They could have at least gotten some mini-fridges for each room. The portable fan in my room was broken (but I fixed it myself) but very dirty. The TV did not get many channels and was too low to see if you were sitting in the bed trying to watch.

Some of the decor seems old which I find really neat, but all the old books were in German, which didn't make a lot of sense. It seems a lot of the apparent 'antiques' were just plastic replicas. Some things appeared to be literally glued back together after it broke. And they really should remove the Big Lot price stickers from the table plates.

The outdoor area, at nite, was nice to relax with some wine and has a nice ambiance with the lighted balls, and rope light around the tree. Again, needs to be cleaned up. Outside of dinner and breakfast, we never saw the hosts around the house like I have in other B&B's I stayed at.

The staff were super nice overall. This was an adult weekend getaway, so I was a little surprised at the children running around the place on two different days while us guests were there. We did meet the children who were all nice and well mannered afterwards.

Altho featured on Paranormal kids, we did not witness anything over the 3 days/2 nite stay.

This is within 30min of Columbus with some great food there and the main street we found looked kinda neat, but we did not get to explore nearby a whole lot. As couples we made the best of things and had a great weekend.

Overall, I think this is way overpriced for what you get in return. I would choose somewhere else for my next stay in the area.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Forsythethedwarf
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 14 October 2011

My husband and I paid $350 a night. We thought for that price we would get a relaxing getaway to relieve some stress. Upon arriving we noticed that the place looked nothing like the pictures on their web site. It had a boarded up window & it looked ran down. We were given a key, but it was hard to use and the door was hard to open and you had to slam it shut. The first night we ate dinner there and we got a microwave dinner that didn't even fill you up and to tell you the truth it was so nasty that my husband didn't even eat it. Everyone was trying to make the best of their stay by laughing about how their night was because everyone froze due to the boiler being broke and for the number of people that was staying there you couldn't get any hot water not to mention not only was it cold it took forever to fill up... Some people didn't even take a bath or shower because they didn't want to freeze again on the second night. Our room was so cold from the draft of the broken boarded up window and another window that was stuffed with a towel to keep cold air from getting in but to tell you the truth it didn’t work… it was torcher to use the restroom during the night because the bathroom was an icebox. If you reserve in advance and have to cancel due to an emergency don’t count on getting your money back…we were already told that by another couple. If you get sick like I did and have to go see a lung doctor due to my horrible stay there don’t plan on getting your money back even though they are aware that it is their fault why I am sick. If it hadn’t been for their old covered up moldy, musky cold place I wouldn’t be sick. I guess because we were the only ones who complained … the receptionist refused to give us the owners name and simply said that they couldn’t help us. According to the other reviews that I so wish that I would have read…They too have experienced somewhat the same experience as we have. Just like the other reviews I too would have left the first night, but must say that the innkeepers did try their best to make us feel comfortable & I totally blame my experience on the owners for not fixing the place like it should be fixed. I really feel that the health department should shut them down…. Take our advice and stay far away if you care about your health….

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Takemyadvice_03
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Absolutely horrendous visit hear. Naively booking without researching reviews like knuckleheads, we arrived and were in for such a dirty and terrible experience. We received a room with sick disgusting yellow stains underneath, a backed up shower with age old hair from previous people who've stayed there, 10 legged insects on the walls, and the list goes on. Along with pictures to prove it. We were asked by the owner if our other family member would give up her room to sleep on a DIRTY SICK AND DISGUSTING cot, AFTER SHE"D already paid for it ALL. The owner said it was because she had received notice that someone else wanted to attend the murder mystery, and she didn't want to lose out on the chance to get that money. Shameless and total lack of manners. Needless to say, we left immediately since we couldn't stay another night with the bugs. Felt VERY unsafe with the outside workers she (Jean, the owner) had lingering around. The only decent and respectable person in the whole establishment was Anita, the live in housekeeper. SHE should NOT be subjected to those living quarters either. Everything about this establishment violated codes from the loose wiring, lack of fire safety, carbon Monoxide detectors, and the list goes on. One room actually has a bathroom that has a little window in it which doesn't lock, and anyone from the outside hallway can push it and see you on the toilet or in the shower. This place was like a scene out of a bad movie, almost unreal. NEVER EVER go here.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank ocoups
Reviewed 20 March 2011

I NEVER write reviews but I had to on this one.

My wife and i stayed this past weekend and literally stayed one night even though our reservations were for two (then we drove 4 hrs back home) because of how dirty the place was (if your wondering why we stayed even that night it was because a friend was staying there so we were more or less visiting him).

There are huge cracks in the ceiling and walls, the heart shaped hot tub was dusty, we cleaned the shower because we didn't think it was cleaned but to our amazement it was (you ever seen someone's tub that doesn't clean well at all, and its black from where they stand well that was our shower). Plus our shower was backing up which was really gross.

the wall next to the light switch in the bathroom looked like a 4 year old lived there.

The rugs in the bathroom were filthy and the carpet in the bedroom was disgusting. When I got out of the shower I stood on my dirty clothes and put on my dirty socks because I didn't want to step on the floor.

Oh and the chairs in our room looked like someone had some "adult fun" on them (im not joking)

We pretty much slept in our sweats and on the pillow that I brought.

No wonder they have a no refund policy they know people aren't coming back.

The live in inn keepers (who aren't the owners) were hospitable. they will cater to your dietary needs. Just wish there was more food.

• Stayed: March 2011
3  Thank bnbtravlers
Reviewed 23 February 2011

My husband and I recently stayed at the Castle Inn Bed and Breakfast for a couple nights, just to get away from everything. Following are the Pros and Cons of this B&B:

Pros:
~Genuine Castle built in the last 1800s. While some may think the decorating was on the cheesy side, it worked for this location.
~Provided an ambiance that is difficult to find in regular hotels
~No bed bugs. We took the sheets and blankets off the bed as soon as we checked in to ensure there we no bed bugs. We are happy to report that we found nothing. By the way, there is a 'Bed Bug Registry' online you can check out before staying at a hotel or B&B.
~The Innkeepers, Anita and Larry, are extremely hospitable and accommodating. Anything you need, they will do everything they can to make it happen
~The food is awesome. Anita and Larry are great cooks! I highly recommend spending the $50 for a candlelight dinner for two......it was wonderful and well worth it!
~The majority of rooms have a two-person Jacuzzi tub, which is so nice and relaxing! It does take time to fill, so patience is required!
~All rooms have private baths; however, the round tower room does not have a shower (only a bathtub). I do not believe this is mentioned on their Web site, but be forewarned that if you prefer showers, do not book that room.

Cons:
~The prices are a little steep considering the accommodations and the location
~The owners need to put some money into renovations. We noticed peeling wallpaper on the walls; water spots on the ceiling; nicks on the crown molding; difficulty opening and locking doors...these are all things that could and should be repaired. While it is an old home, this sort of thing makes it appear worn, not historic.
~There is a train that runs nearby every few minutes, which means you get to hear train whistles all night long. By the second night, we were getting used to it, but it was annoying.
~There is mention of snacks and soda provided to guests. While this is true, it is not much. The two days we were there, we noticed a couple small bags of chips and a two-liter of pop....that was it. Fortunately, we brought our own drinks and snacks, which I would highly recommend.
~They do have a movie library, but from what we saw, the titles were rather old. We brought our own movies, which again, I would recommend.
~Heating and cooling are a challenge. During the warmer months, I suggest staying on the second floor. I think the third floor would get too warm.
~The old radiators in the rooms make some strange noises...clunking, 'sighing' sounds...it can startle you from time to time!
~There was quite a bit of dust on some of the furniture, as well as on the ceiling fan. It would behoove the owners to hire a cleaning service to come in once a week and take care of all the dusting. That is too big of a job for the innkeepers.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay. My husband and I do not typically take week long vacations. Instead we take long weekends throughout the year and stay at really nice hotels (Hiltons, Westins, Conrads). We decided to start looking into B&Bs, and this was our first stay at B&B in a long time. While not everything was perfect, and it definitely differs from staying in a nice hotel and ordering room service, it was a pleasant change of pace. If you go in knowing the pros and cons and are ok with it, I think you would really enjoy your stay. Just bring some snacks and movies with you, and definitely purchase the $50 candlelight dinner.....you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple