“Low Expectations, Decent Results”

URAKU Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #33 of 121 Restaurants in Bowling Green
Cuisines: Japanese, Korean, Thai, Bar
Reviewed 23 March 2017 via mobile

My girlfriend, our son, and I came in for an early lunch. When we arrived we were one of 4 tables sat which included (for this restaurant) a large party of 7. Our son who is only One, requires a high chair, which were then directed to a new table at the rear of the dining room as it would be "more comfortable" (or to make room for another large party to sit down at the next table). We decided on the Pick 2 Maki (Boston and Manhattan), she chose the Chicken Yaki Bowl, and I ordered the Beef Pad Thai (which I was informed less than 30mins after opening that they were out of Beef because the large party had ordered it all, keep in mind this restaurant does seat 30+ and SEVEN people cleaned out their beef supply for lunch). Now I will be the first to admit, I am very spoiled and super picky when it comes to sushi and Asian cuisine in general as I work in one of the best I've ever eaten in. The sushi was mediocre at best; the rice was bland, the fish was decent, the ginger was very potent which I enjoyed, and the Wasabi left a lot to be desired. My Girlfriend's Yaki bowl was awesome, all 3 of us enjoyed it. It had a thick, sweet, and savory sauce that left little to be desired. As for my Pad Thai... yeah it was OK, I've had much better and much worse. The fact that I had to settle for Chicken (which I don't like very much) kinda ruined it a bit. There was very little egg, minimal bean sprouts, but it did have an oddly good sweet sauce that was further complimented by the 2 sides of their extra spicy sauce that were added to it. Overall I'd say the food was decent, the service was OK, and the price was eh. It's a solid 3 star place. I will be willing to try it again and hopefully change my mind for the better.

Reviewed 10 October 2016

Good sushi and good price.
But waiter did not live up: food list and drink are ordered direct to the cooker at the sushi bar.

Reviewed 9 January 2016 via mobile

I often travel for my job and have had sushi all over the U.S. I can say that Wasabi Blvd (formerly Uraku) has sushi that rivals the very best restaurants in the country! Very happy to have this wonderful establishment in my hometown!

Reviewed 31 December 2015

Fresh food, attentive service and warm hospitality greet you in the quaint diner in a strip mall across from the BGSU football stadium. The areas most delicious pad Thai and an assortment of fresh made sushi makes this a must "find-and-visit" when visiting the campus.

1  Thank GlobalExec
Reviewed 14 October 2015

I have eaten here several times and it is always excellent. The cook is so charming...after I ordered my Thai hot...out came another sauce...ate that then he actually brought his hottest himself....gotta admit...wooooooo it was hot but delish! i sure hope the same chef is there. All three of our children and our son-in-law attended BGSU so we have tried many restaurants in BG...still one of my faves....I sure hope it has not changed much.