“Pleasant, comfortable and Convenient”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of African Cottage

African Cottage BBQ Area
African Cottage Bedroom 1
African Cottage Bedroom 2
African Cottage Bedroom 3
Spacious African themed cottage surrounded by lush tropical gardens. To relax body and soul!
Rolling Green Hills Of Maleny
Tiger The Resident Cat
Resident Guinea Fowl
Rolling Green Hills Of Maleny
Matilda Scarfe Your Host
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

cazydyl
Brisbane Region, Australia
“African cottage”
Reviewed 23 April 2017 for a stay in April 2017

This should be advertised as a two couples stay not nine bed house as it was uncomfortable. Two upstairs bedroom and beds were comfortable but down stairs beds and sofa bed were unusable and made for a very uncomfortable stay. The thin walls and no insulated floor above downstairs bedroom meant that the slightest turn in bed made it noisy for anyone sleeping underneath, let alone a toilet flush. Also un insulated proper walls in downstairs bedroom meant that cooking smells and noise was impossible to be comfortable. The sofa bed was unusable. We found cockroaches in the bathroom and slightly unclean throughout! Would not recommend this place and it actually ruined our family two day stay as we got hardly any sleep. Dont knw how it can be a recommended stay by any company online, perhaps a backpacker house is more suitable. Staff and owner very welcoming and approachable which was the only positive comment unfortunately.

Waltercor...
“Small, tired, so disappointing we immediately left and returned home.”
Reviewed 22 April 2017 for a stay in April 2017
people found this review helpful

I booked this accommodation so that we could have a quick break away with our elderly dogs. I recall I booked the main house but then received a call from the owner suggesting we stay in the cottage. After the booking was made, I received an email from her advising of a further charge of $50 for extra cleaning because of the dogs. As a matter of consumer and contract law, it is illegal to impose additional terms and conditions to the booking. The $50 charge however is a small-fry complaint and it was never paid.
We arrived at the accommodation this morning, then immediately left, wasting some $550 for 2 nights accommodation. We found a small tired cabin. The kitchen facilities comprised a short worn Laminex bench, oldish bar fridge, old microwave, kitchen sink, and a plug in variety two hob electric stove (you might see in an old caravan) which you had to extract from under the bench. There was a BBQ located on a small patio. My partner looked in the bedroom and said that the bed looked convex (meaning worn mattress) and the facilities were tired and worn. The ''living area'' had a lounge with worn, tired upholstery. There is much more I could say but the reader will get the picture.

I've seen the large number of positive reviews on this site and a few very negative ones (see Doug Keen and Gail L). My partner and I have ceased relying on the reviews on Trip Advisor and elsewhere as for the most part we have found them unreliable.

I have noted the owner's attacks on the comments on Doug Keen and Gail L's reviews. I expect that she will vent her spleen in response to my review. That practice is very bad form, and had I had the time to review this owner's negative responses on this site, I would never have booked the accommodation.

I note that in one of her responses to one of the negative reviews she criticised the author for not raising her concerns with her directly. We left the accommodation 3 hours ago. I've not received a call and email from the owner. I doubt I will receive an offer of a refund.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
4 May 2017
I won't even bother responding to this ridiculous review. I am overseas at the moment and according to my staff they did not even enter the cottage. Anyone who can see - around a corner!- that a bed is sagging deserves absolutely no answer! But for the record - Cape Cottage is only SIX years old!
sashal126
Brisbane, Australia
“Pleasant, comfortable and Convenient”
Reviewed 18 April 2017 for a stay in April 2017

We were really happy to have chosen to stay at the African Cottage. It was in a great location between Maleny and Montville. We tried Matilda's food and it was delicious (we wish we ordered more!) The cottage was clean and nicely decorated to an African theme. It was an enjoyable and comfortable stay.

Your age range 25-34
18 Apr 2017
Thanks for your lovely words! We enjoyed having you here and hope you will be back soon - to enjoy some more delicious food! Winter in Maleny is magic. Cosy fire at night, eating comfort food. Maybe a relaxing massage. Thanks again!
katscreen...
Brisbane, Australia
“Authentic African retreat”
Reviewed 30 November 2016 for a stay in November 2016

Beautiful cottage- wonderful African decor and food. Relaxing surrounds. Friendly and accomodating staff. Maleny and Montville offer a lot to explore.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Overall experience
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 50-64
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Large groups People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
29 Dec 2016
Thank you Kate! We try our best - and most times we succeed to be a bit special. Hope to see you here again in the near future!
Judith W
Buderim
“Magical hideaway!”
Reviewed 8 September 2016 for a stay in August 2016

After two visits in the past two months we highly recommend all three cottages. Our choice was Rondawel, but African Cottage and Cape Cottage are also both delightful. They offer guests a little "taste" of Africa - something different. We were able to share the "African" dinner, prepared by Matilda, with our friends who had joined us for the day. Matilda is a wonderful hostess and we now feel very much "at home" as her guests. We have already booked again, and plan to make African Cottage our short break "home away from home" from now on.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Everything
Liked least: Nothing
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Recommended for:
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
9 Sep 2016
Robin and John, you are the perfect guests! Always ready for a chat, taking wonderful photos of the place, bringing friends to share the experience - and very appreciative of our food! We love you coming back as you are now officially part of the family! Only one more thing you need to do - go on one of our Gourmet Safaris to South Africa! 2018? You'll love it! Thank you for being our friends!
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday home? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing