“Great breakfast”

Cafe Nourish Heart and Soul Food
Price range: US$ 6 - US$ 17
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We had a lovely breakfast with great coffe and juice at Cafe Nourish. The staff were very friendly and accommodating to changes to fit my dietary requirements.

Date of visit: August 2021
Write a reviewReviews (243)

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We loved eating lunch at this cafe. The food was very tasty, and there was plenty of it. We both had smoked salmon wraps - yum. Staff were friendly and helpful, and the cafe is on the beach, so you have great views.

Date of visit: August 2021
Reviewed 26 June 2021 via mobile

Absolutely disgusting behaviour from the “manager”. She was aggressive in her mannerisms, not polite what so ever and made my two children leave after starting their lunch. HORRIBLE INCONSIDERATE UPTIGHT MORBID OWNER/Manager.

I was after a nice juice, waited for at least five minutes to still not be served to which I walked to another facility to purchase my children some food.
I returned to be served and ordered a smoothie and some dessert snacks for our lunch also. My smoothie sat on the the coffee side for ages as I wasn’t sure if it was even a mango smoothie (colour looked like a caramel shake. I went to the purchase the other Items and that’s when I had to ask if it was mine to which they went over and said yes and gave the smoothie to me. Smoothie tasted like weak banana and milk, was terrible. Once we sat down and we starting eating our other food (yes which wasn’t from the shop) we were 5 mins into eating etc and was confronted very abruptly by a short blonde haired older woman (assuming she is the manager). She made us leave because we had other food yet I had made 3 purchases from their business. We were told too bad and a smartallic remark was made “you only bought 1 item with almost an eye roll” when she obviously didn’t care to ask or see all product bought. All she cared was it was take away.

My children could have any reason to be having alternative food but she did not ask or care and approached us abruptly as if we were offenders or nuisances to there business. I have seen this also. Professionalism is not her strong point obviously.

I have been in hospitality for 20 years myself and been through all management tiers and that is 110% appalling behaviour from her. Any of my managers would have been reprimanded if they conducted themselves the way she did with regards to her abrupt communication and confrontational behaviours. Irrespective of policy we were paying customers and judgement was placed before asking questions.

Only great thing was the view.

Date of visit: June 2021
Derek W, Owner at Cafe Nourish Heart and Soul Food, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2021

Hi Rachel.
As this is a most unusual occurrence for our café, I have interviewed a number of staff and customers in the café at the time to establish the circumstances.
My understanding is you ordered a takeaway smoothie and a cookie from us and all your main meals including fish and chips, burgers and soft drinks from the shop next door. To wait five minutes to be served is not unusual at our busiest times.
Due to covid-19 restrictions still in place and currently the law in Queensland, we have limited seating available and you arrived at peak time on Saturday morning. Customers who intend to dine-in must register their intention to do so on the covid safe app and order food to be consumed at the table. You did not register and you ordered takeaway.
I understand that being asked to consume your takeaway food elsewhere after you had begun must have been inconvenient. However, at least two tables sitting close by confirmed that it was indeed you who was both disrespectful and rude to the staff member involved and they felt it was both fair and reasonable you were asked to leave. Whilst she certainly could have handled the situation better, your sense of entitlement would have tested anyone. As a customer sitting beside you expressed later; “do they really think you are going to clean, reset, remove their rubbish, sterilise to covid compliance a table of six for the profit you make on a cookie and a smoothie”?
My advice to you if you find yourself in this situation again sometime; just ask beforehand. If your children did have a special dietary need which meant they can only eat fish and chips, we would have been more than happy to accommodate them. A little politeness can go along way.
I did follow up on why your smoothie waited on the counter and apparently you were next door when they called out your name. And, interestingly, mango and banana do combine to make a caramel like colour.

Reviewed 20 May 2021 via mobile

We went to Cafe Nourish on our last day on the island. The service was friendly!
We went for breakfast initially and were accomodating with our order of swapping things in and out.
The treat cabinet looked delicious so we went back for some afternoon tea, the waitress recommended a citrus cheesecake which was 10/10!

Date of visit: May 2021
1  Thank chelseast93
Reviewed 3 May 2021 via mobile

Awesome to find such interesting tasty food on the island. Delicious spicy eggy goodness beautifully presented. Best thing I’ve had on the island for years!

Date of visit: May 2021