“Not Good”

The Day Spa at Whittlebury Hall
Ranked #14 of 19 things to do in Towcester
Reviewed 23 August 2018 via mobile

Was so looking forward to our Spa Day at Whittlebury Hall, family had got me a voucher for an indulgent spa day for two for my 50th Birthday. I decided to take my 20 year old daughter (soon to be 21) for a treat for her forth coming Birthday also.

I’d filled out our medical forms on line & ticked that we would like a tour of the Spa. On arrival at the Spa we were given two envelopes & were told where the changing room was. No welcome, no drink offered, no tour given. I thought maybe there might be a map in the envelope of the facilities on offer, but nothing. We changed & made our way to the pool area following the signs from the changing room. The pool area was ok, paint work a bit worn & beds looking tatty with cushions hanging off, but that really didn’t bother us and the beds were quite comfy. The steam room that was located by the pool was out of order. Whilst lying on our sunbeds I decided that surely there was more than just this area, so I googled what facilities were available and saw that indeed we had more to find. We had a little walk round but eventually asked at reception where the heat & ice experience was located.

Although the area was a little busy we did enjoy the experience but the area felt cramped and could have done with being a little more spread out. We didn’t attempt to get in the pool because there was little room. At 12 we made our way to the treatment waiting area for our 25 minute mini facials, we had also booked & paid extra for massages but they were to be later that afternoon. The facial felt rushed & not professional at all. The therapist even filled out a recommendation form to buy the products whilst I had my face mask on. Usually you get a nice massage, she did eventually run her fingers through my hair a couple of time’s then removed the mask. Came out of treatment feeling a little annoyed instead of relaxed.

We made our way back to the pool & relaxed reading our books & having a swim until lunch time. At 2pm we made our way to the restaurant, having had to ask again where lunch would be. This was a bit late for us because we had been on the road since 8am, so we could get to the spa on time. Having been seated we waited before we went to the buffet to order some drinks. No one came, in the end I had to asked. The lady I asked sent a waitress over, she asked what we wanted, I said could we have a drinks menu please. She went off & got one,
then disappeared & never came back. Eventually I found someone to take our order, then found I had to pay cash or card because no account was set up,but we weren’t offered this on arrival. Luckily I had popped my card in my pocket just in case, other spas you just charge everything to your wristband. Lunch was definitely nothing special, again all cramped, just standard food in silver tins to keep it hot. But the gnocchi that I had was just warm & so stodgy, I ended up leaving it.

Has a treat for us both we paid for massages in the afternoon. I had booked a full body and my daughter wanted a back massage (she doesn’t like her legs touched). We went our separate ways, mine was ok an improvement on the facial but if having a full body massage I would expect my arms to be included but she didn’t touch them. My daughters therapist told her she’d got to have a full body massage because that’s what was on her booking. She explained that she only liked her back massaged & she said that she couldn’t spend 50 minutes doing that. So she turned her over & started giving her another facial. We felt that neither massage to be honest was worth the £60 & £65 we paid for them.

We was really disappointed, the place lacked professionalism. I have been lucky enough to go to a number of well known spas over the last couple of months whilst celebrating my big 50, and Whittlebury Hall was the worst. I’d been given a buy a gift voucher & paid £80 to upgrade it to come here, plus the £125 on top for two massages, I paid £99.00 to go to a much better spa where I had no voucher & the treatments were top notch & the staff were far more professional. I know where I will spend my money in future!!!

All reviews
"ice experience"
"warm water"
"soup"
in 17 reviews
"neck and shoulder massage"
in 7 reviews
in 7 reviews
"cream tea"

Reviewed 23 August 2018 via mobile

really disappointed!
People at the reception were not welcoming or helpful. Our room was ready at 4pm, which was very frustrating as, check out is at 11am the next day.
You feel like you are in a cattle market, it is so crowded everywhere and you need to queue for everything, jacuzzi, steam room etc. There are not enough loungers to relax. Lunch (buffet) was average.
On the departure date, you can only use the facilities until 11am, whereas in other SPA'S you can still use them after you check out.
Check out is at 11am but cleaning service knock at you door from 8am until they are sure you are awake, that made us really upset.
This was not the spa weekend we expected and would not go back.
Massage therapists were good (pregnancy massage and well-being massage), as well as the dinner at the Murrays - only positives we can offer.

Reviewed 21 August 2018 via mobile

My best friend and I were bought a day spa and lunch as a gift.
On arrival ready to treat ourselves to breakfast - we were greeted with uninterested staff, no menus, and literally SHOCKED at the £4.25 price tag for a flat white, £3.50 for a soft drink?! £15 for a breakfast etc etc. Now, we might have overlooked this astronomical price if what we’d been delivered was of high quality... sadly not. 2 cold croissants served without butter or Jam. 2 cold flat whites made with a press button machine not even a proper espresso machine (im assuming from the taste) and wet.. not soggy.. shortbread. When I enquired about the price I was told, in a rather unfriendly manner “well this is a 4* hotel” - I’m surprised by this, having visited many varying star hotels around the world and even no * hotels being better than this.
Next we made our way to the changing room and the Death Valley heated overcrowded spa area. We eventually managed to get some loungers. We quickly decided this wasn’t relaxing, more like being in a factory (this really is what it is.. a mass production ‘spa’). So we asked if we could bring our 3.45pm treatments ahead. We couldn’t because there was roughly a million(?) people ahead of us - all searching for a lounger.
We discovered (with sort of help of an unhelpful receptionist) the other areas we could frequent, excited by the ice cave and the prospect of not being being slowly cooked we made our way there, only to discover yet more ‘saunas’ and ‘steam rooms’ masquerading as something else, with different names. We managed eventually to find some space in the large whirling jacuzzi thing. But we still had about 6 hours before our treatment. Eventually lunch came at 1pm. This was - non surprisingly crowded. The food wasn’t bad, won’t be winning awards (again, I’m not sure this is food quality that should be served at a 4* hotel!) the best part of the meal and in fact the experience was the ham! Very tasty. Again, no drinks on offer here, some warm tap water poured at the beginning. After what felt like a life time our treatments came around. Luckily the spa technicians were friendly and professional. That’s about it.
It’s generally filthy, bins overflowing. It’s basically like being hearded around somewhere that’s meant to be relaxing.
I imagine the underwhelming staff are overwhelmed at the sheer amount of people on mass who attend this place. Eventually though the quantity over quality isn’t going to stick and people aren’t going to part with their hard earned money for something that simply doesn’t deliver relaxation.

Reviewed 20 August 2018 via mobile

We arrived at the spa for 9am as requested - we had all completed our medical forms on-line but for whatever reason the system had not received them and so we had to complete them again - which was a pain.

As it was a hen party I thought they may have at least given the bride to be a complimentary drink.

The facilities at the spa were really really good - the heat and ice experience, various saunas and steam rooms, the whispering room to name just a few.

We went into the pool but we could only use a small part of it as there was an aqua class which we couldn’t do as we had not booked.

The buffet lunch was ok - very healthy which is what you would expect but personally I thought it was very limited.

Overall it was a good day - the negative points were small in comparison to the positive points so thank you