“A Simpler Age Unmasked”

World of James Herriot
Ranked #2 of 17 things to do in Thirsk
More attraction details
Owner description: You’ve probably read the books written by James Alfred Wight or watched “All Creatures Great and Small” on TV. Now come and see where James Herriot, the world’s most famous vet, lived, worked and relaxed. See his home and surgery in Thirsk; travel back in time to what life was like when James was a vet in Yorkshire. See the car he drove, step into the TV set, try your hand at being a vet and even experience what it was like to hide in a World War 2 air raid shelter!
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Reviewed 6 October 2018

Having watched the series on television all those years ago made it seem like only yesterday in many ways when walking through the museum and seeing the many artifacts of a vets trade from days gone by, pictures of the actors the many explanatory write ups, the display cases and of course being in the actual house where James “Alf” Wight wrote the books. It was all very atmospheric and to be able to contrast it with the current TV programme, A Yorkshire Vet made the experience very interesting. Whilst the price may seem a little excessive we paid £8.50pp overall and in comparison to many other types of attractions it was worth it. There is much to see but it is also a manifestation of a time in our social history. Certainly worth a visit, may be for the more mature age of person and less so for the younger age group.

All reviews
in 11 reviews
"actual house"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed 5 October 2018 via mobile

It wasn’t all about the vets, well it was but so much more. I could have stayed forever in the sitting room with Glen Miller playing on the wireless. I was lost.
I read lots of negative reviews about dogs not being allowed in. I can well see why they aren’t allowed in. The furnishings are proper 1940’s and it really isn’t the place to bring in a sometimes smelly, wet dog. The fact that Alf Wight was a vet is irrelevant.
The gift shop, as all gift shops are, was expensive but not compulsory!
We loved this place. The staff were lovely and friendly and very informative. Thank you.

Date of experience: October 2018
Reviewed 5 October 2018

We came here after being a long time fan of both all creatures great and small and the Yorkshire vet after living so close and never visiting. We paid and was directed back out and to the entrance next door .The wonderful lady at the door explained all about it before we went in .The attraction is on different levels and sections we found some parts interesting and also some parts was very boring and dated .The interactive room had when we visited things that was not working and like all great attractions has you leave you go through the very expensive gift shop .We found it took less than a hour to go through the place and the refreshments area was vending machines.The price of around £8 pp we found too much for the attraction a more fairer price would be around £5 pp in our opinion

Date of experience: August 2018
Reviewed 4 October 2018

I've been a fan of the James Herriot books for more years than I care to admit to. It's only natural that I found out where 'Darrowby' was and have been wanting to see the museum ever since.

It was brilliant seeing the places that I felt I knew from the books, the long tiled hallway and the pewter jug on the mantlepiece. The whole house was interesting and as we had the guidebook we were able to understand it. There's a few museum exhibits we found interesting including the video about the books and TV series, and a display of the books published in different languages. The surgical instruments were fascinating and gruesome in equal measure!

We followed with lunch in the market square nearby, which I guess hasn't changed that much.