“Excellent fresh fish and great ambience”

The White Horse Restaurant
Reserve a table
Wed, 20/01
20:00
Cuisines: British
Good for: View details, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 8 July 2019

Excellent menu and food quality and choice, cooked by the head chef, wife of Philip who runs Brancaster Staithe Smokehouse. Lovely ambience. Great choice of wines. I highly recommend the oysters and the smoked cod served with mash and Hollandaise sauce with cockles. Only downside was the very polite Latvian waiter, who forgot one of the starters in my party of 3, rather slow service and he should have been more attentive and observant. Apart from this hiccup, excellent.

And after the meal met Philip in his Smokehouse and he was such a lovely man and very knowledgeable about his products. I spent a fair bit of money on smoked salmon, kippers and some oils and mustard and he was able to give me a little discount. Excellent service by Philip and a great customer experience for me. I work in retail so am aware of the importance of service and ensuring a perfect customer journey

Date of visit: July 2019
RobWilliamson1, General Manager at The White Horse Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2019

I am delighted that you had a wonderful experience, and enjoyed the fine local produce from the smokehouse.

Come and see us again soon.

Rob

Write a reviewReviews (1,683)

Reviewed 8 July 2019 via mobile

This is a perfect spot on a sunny day. We sat on the terrace enjoying the sunshine and there were a few pairs of binoculars for customers to use which is a very nice touch.

We both had the smoked cod and it was absolutely stunning.

I would have given 5/5 but the service was poor. The waiting staff didn’t seem to know the menu or have any idea which tables they were delivering food too. Another waiter walked around in a daze.

One chap asked if he could pay outside to be told no the card machine doesn’t work outside. He then told the waiter that it worked for the table in the corner. The waiter disappeared to get the card machine and didn’t return. The poor chap eventually gave up and went inside to pay.

We asked if they sold a pale blush rosé and the waiter said no. He then said they had a Côtes de Provence. Perfect! Or so I thought until the bill arrived. The wine was nothing special, it sells for around £16 in the supermarkets. It was £46 or £48! That will teach me to ask for the wine list in future.

We will return as the food was delicious and the views are wonderful.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review,

I am pleased that you enjoyed the food but disappointed that the service let us down. I have shared your comments with my team and instigated additional training to ensure we react better.

We look forward to you returning.

Reviewed 6 July 2019

Really disappointing today. Have been a few times and loved the place, so brought family for afternoon tea. Appreciate it was very busy But the service today was just not good enough. Had to remind staff to bring what we ordered, then remind them to bring the crockery, a guest at the bar even offered to get us plates to eat our afternoon tea as he said “even he was annoyed” by the lack of attention. Staff all very polite and friendly when approached and listened to my feedback, management organised money off the bill. I know everyone is probably over afternoon tea these days but for £30 I still expect it to feel like a treat! I hope this was a one off and perhaps behind the scenes issues were effecting the service. Sausage rolls were amazing!

2  Thank dannytequilla
RobWilliamson1, General Manager at The White Horse Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2019

Thank you for taking the time to write a review,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the substandard experience you had yesterday. This is definitely not our usual high standard.

I am in correspondence with another member of your party, so hopefully we will be able to make amends and for you to come and experience The White Horse as it should be.

Reviewed 3 July 2019 via mobile

Large pub with letting rooms. Terrace over looking marshes with a glass garden room for cooler days. Waiter service. Varied menu although on this occasion we only stopped for a drink. Nice place to visit on a sunny day.

1  Thank SUZANNE T

Thank you for your lovely review.

Reviewed 3 July 2019

So disappointed!
Popped in this morning on passing, whilst walking our dog along the coastal walk. It looks gorgeous, has seating on a balcony area with a fantastic view that we fancied sitting on.

It wasn't busy outside, a family of 3 were just leaving & a family of 4 had just sat down before us. There were quite a few people inside having breakfast.

I ordered our tea & coffee after being directed through to the bar area. A young gentleman took my order, asked me for our table number, I paid & then he disappeared through to the kitchen. I rejoined my hubby at our table outside.

10 minutes later I went back to the bar to check if I should have been collecting our drinks. A young lady assured me that she would check for our drinks & bring them out to us.

10 minutes later I went back to the bar & saw the young gentleman who originally took my order. He was surprised that we'd not had our drinks yet & said he would check. On my way back out he confirmed my order was on its way but there was 'a backlog at the moment'. He assured me that he would bring our drinks out as soon as possible. As I walked out I noticed that the breakfast area was relatively empty & the family of 4 outside had their drinks, breakfast & a bowl of water for their dog.

10 minutes later my husband was nearly blowing a gasket! I returned to the bar,walking through the now empty breakfast area & cancelled my order with the young lady that I had previously spoken to. She apologised profusely & refunded my money, which was all well & good but I would have been so much happier if I'd just got my cup of tea & my hubby got his coffee!

3  Thank Mandy B

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Please accept my apologies, it sounds like a catalogue of mistakes which definitely should not have happened.

If you could contact me at your earliest convenience at Rob.williamson@whitehorsebrancaster.co.uk - I would love for you to come and experience coffee on the terrace as it should be.

I look forward to hearing from you.