“lovely play to stay in countryside”
Review of Saracens Head

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wolterton
Saracens Head
Ranked #1 of 1 Wolterton B&B and Inns
Shropshire, United Kingdom
“lovely play to stay in countryside”
Reviewed 20 September 2011

We found this via the Good Pub Guide and Trip Advisor. Doubtful whether you would come across it by chance as it is situated along narrow lanes and is entirely on its own. However, this is a great place to stay. Excellent room, beautifully renovated and kept. Food in the evening was rather pricey (6.50 for a slice of treacle tart is well over the top) but the main courses were superbly cooked. Friendly welcome. The bar area is compact but the beer is local and well kept. Breakfast was as good as it gets, though the service between starters and the hot dishes was very slow. But this is a minor point in an otherwise great place to stay.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank _davidius61
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2011

If you manage to track down this pub then take the time to go in and have a drink and something to eat. The food is excellent, the owner, Tim is warm and welcoming and the real ale is well kept. There is a lovely courtyard outside to sit in.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank janeysav
Danbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Have been meaning to review the Saracens Head since we were there for my husband's birthday in February. We booked a room as well so we could both enjoy a drink with the meal. The food was fabulous, the wine excellent and at a perfect temperature. The service was fantastic and the owner had gone out of his way to help me get the evening booked beforehand. The room was lovely, clean and very comfortable with everything you could want available, and they use lovely locally made soaps and shampoos. My only teeny downside was that the room was boiling and I couldn't turn the heat down at all, so kept having to try and push the window open more. But frankly, that's minor. It was a lovely evening with great food. Worth the trip.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VFRMH
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2011

This pub is very much in the middle of nowhere, the kind of place I like really. Firstly travelling alone I didn't feel that I had been ripped off with the price I paid for the room. The chap who helped me was very friendly. He did his best to get the connection for the internet but I had to do without any contact with the outside world that night. The room was fine, I had a large double bed & the bathroom was very clean & well appointed. The bar area is a bit dull, but there were some very lively people in there that night, so I didn't notice it much. My food was tasty, though maybe a bit on the pricey side. Everyone in the room seemed quite satisfied with what they ate, apart from one lady, who wanted her duck pink & it wasn't, mind you she did appear to have some marital issues! It was a very quiet night with little traffic passing & I always sleep with my window open. For me what made this place was the breakfast, among all the usual things to eat & drink, the coffee was out of this world. I have to say it's the best I've ever tasted. I finished my breakfast feeling contented & full. Although the food was a bit on the pricey side, my stay was an enjoyable one & I would go back again...

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank janet186334
norwich
Reviewed 31 July 2011

We waited 45 minutes for our food on what appeared to be a slow Sunday. There were only 5 other people in the dining room and very few more in the bar. I estimate there were maybe 20 in the courtyard.
The menu looked extensive and varied. I chose the Dogfish with chilli and garlic oil - delicious. My wife ate a Courgette Gratin - good
I complained about the wait and we got the drinks free. They did apologise.
We didn't like the piped pop music.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sheppoNorwich
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wolterton
11.1 km away
17.0 km away
The George Hotel Cley
The George Hotel Cley
#3 of 6 in Cley Next the Sea

Been to Saracens Head? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK