All reviews continental breakfast the pub main building church bells check in was easy haunted room peak district an overnight stay bath shower full english large room real ale the ground floor evening meal sunday night peveril castle food was lovely
Reviewed 9 September 2018

Good points: in Castleton and so in Peak District. Good walks from the hotel. Strong shower. Drinkable coffee at breakfast. Reasonable bed.
Bad points: poor bedding; included breakfast limited and poor quality. dinner was not good enough, and the night we ate there, at least half the advertised dishes were unavailable.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brian_de_Kilburn
Reviewed 22 August 2018

Arrived on 19th August a Sunday for two nights, warm greeting from staff member and was given room 5. Didn't know we had continental breakfast with the booking. The room and bathroom was clean, our 13 year old daughter had the sofa bed (a very nice sofa bed).
We ate that night on site, was advised the roasts would be gone by 7pm and they were clearly busy. We did have a problem with the lamb roast but all was sorted and we did not pay for the lamb, the other two meals were fine, slightly overpriced for what you got.
Beds were very comfy no problem, room was warm and had both windows open throughout the night. CHURCH BELLS! on the QUARTER hour until 11pm.
Continental breakfast more than fine and filling, plenty there but you can pay for a hot breakfast I did reasonably priced.
Throughout the stay all staff were friendly and worked hard, I genuinely liked it.

Room Tip: Have the higher floored room, eat earlier at the pub. Reverse into parking space as tight car park
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2018

We stayed 2 nights at the Castle Hotel, the room ( Peveril) was spacious and very well appointed. However we stayed during the hot weather and with no air conditioning we had to have the window open and the room faced the road and outside tables of the hotel so the was some noise up to 11.30 pm and from 7 am.
The continental breakfast was very nice but I thought the surcharge for a cooked meal was unnecessary. At £140 per night the accommodation was very nice but I’m not it represented good value for money. If money is not an issue I would certainly recommend but if it is perhaps worth a look elsewhere first.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shakeyjeff
Reviewed 28 July 2018 via mobile

Great meal & friendly staff & Helen was very helpful with our orders. Fantastic restaurant set in a fantastic location & will definitely be visiting this place again as everything was just spot on from the service and our meals.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 July 2018 via mobile

I wanted to rate the hotel higher but as I was typing I inadvertedly convinced myself to give 3 stars.

Castleton is gorgeous and the hotel location is excellent, the pub has olde world character and charm, good sized beer garden. Plenty of parking for patrons.

The hotel seems to let things down a little. The check-in experience wasn't great. The check-in desk was not staffed, when we were finally served the member of staff, though nice and enhusiastic, gave the impression they didn't know what they were on about (not sure why they were explaining that if we were staying for 2 nights we book back in after 3pm the next day, surely we didn't need to check out and check in again?).
Our room was in the main bullding, it was lage and spacious with a nice bathroom. I'm guessing the rooms in what appears to be a converted stable in the car park are the more modern rooms you see in the advertised pictures, whilst the main building rooms are generally older. Our room, while pleasant, just needed some TLC. Because it's older there's also lots of creaking floorboards and stairs and doors can be heard slamming.
The bed was big and comy but I found the pillows far too soft. There were tea and coffee facilities, I don't drink either but usually eat the biscuits but all they offered was a lotus biscuit which I didn't even have the enthusiasm to take home for later.

We thought a cooked breakfast was included (we probably misread this) but the price only included a continental breakfast. We were disappointed with the choice, some cereals, some grapes, some yogurts, 2 diferent pastries or toast. To upgrade to cooked breakfast was £6.99.

On check-out the desk was again unstaffed leaving us stood around and we had to hunt down some staff.

I would stay here again but might choose somewhere else.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple