“Lovely , atmospheric and traditional Inn: To be recommended..”
Review of The Castle

The Castle
Ranked #11 of 22 Restaurants in Castleton
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Embracing the rural charm of its tranquil, scenic setting, The Castle - Castleton offers a modern twist on traditional country pub dining. As well as offering a beer garden for enjoying summertime dining, the cosy dining room is filled with rustic original features and toasty fires for warming winter dining. Championing favourite British recipes, guests can enjoy evenings devoted to the inn's freshly-baked pies, as well as gourmet roast dinners and seasonal cocktail mixes.
Reviewed 11 October 2017

Weekend away with friends. Checked in on Friday afternoon to a very easy going and comfortable receptionist who freely offered advice on local happenings and best pubs. Checked the rooms which were warm, clean and well presented within the context of a modernised building. Oak beams galore and large comfortable beds. The electric shower is a let down (I can’t stand them!) but the water was as hot as you like. After a stroll around the town we went down to the bar, where there was a pleasant mix of people and a lovely best bitter or two. The menu was varied and certainly provided me with two or three options of starters, mains and puddings.
The food quality, flavour and presentation are outstanding. I started on a prawn and scallop salad in a garlic sauce which was devine and went on to a rare steak which was correctly cooked and made from quality beef. I’m not a pudding man so I observed the other 5 members of my party getting tucked in to an assortment of very presentable sweets. Both red and white wine lists are broad both in choice and price and we settled on one or two different ones all of which were commendable. Service was prompt, efficient and friendly with a mix of young trainees and experienced staff all who were engaging,very willing and obliging. The evening was around £50 - £60 a head including wine (s).
Breakfast met expectations with Full English, Continental through to sausage sandwich- on ciabatta bread which was a bit of a surprise but tasty. Endless coffee and pretty much all you would expect by way of cereals, juices, awesome pane chocolate and yogurts.
Great fun on a Saturday night and full of happy people up until 11:00, when the bar closes...! God knows why? However there are many other watering holes within a short stroll and plenty of wonderful beers. IPA seems to be the drink of the town- sadly not my particular poison but there is a sprinkling of sound best bitters once you seek them out.
I had a great weekend and I will certainly be back for the hospitality and the crack.

General Manager A, Manager at The Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2017

hi guys,

thanks
for great review, all the team will be pleased and sorry about the 11.00 but we do have rooms right above the bar and any later and guests start complaining about noise lol.....

thanks
again
Matt
Deputy manager

Reviewed 27 September 2017

My husband and I visited the pub on Sunday evening. The pub has nice atmosphere with warmly decorated rooms. There are some outside seatings but not allowed to eat food outside. The beer was served well.

We ordered "Slow Cooked Lamb Shank". The food came out reasonably quick. But we didn't get what we ordered - Lamb Shank. Instead, there were three small (like a size of baby's hand) slices of lamb burried under veg. and gravy. My husband food was cold. When we complained about the size of the lamb, a man said "That's our standard portion". Well I think for the cost 13.50 pounds that's very stingy. When I challenged "This is no lamb shank, it's misleading", the man said that he'd said it's Lamb Rump when the order was taken, but my husband (who ordered the meal) says he was not infomed of that.

The roasted carrot was uncooked, So hard I couldn't even cut it with my knife. The yorkshire pudding was totally dried out (guess it was re-heated) and texture was like crisps, again I couldn't cut it with my knife as it was so hard.

They re-heated my husband's food and the man apologised but we were offered no refunds.

We would have liked to order more beer and some dessert but left the pub without ordering them as the quality of the food was shocking.

General Manager A, Manager at The Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2017

Sabasuki, thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback about your experience with us.
We are disappointed to hear about your experience and can ensure you that your feedback has been handed over to all members of the team to ensure a situation like this doesn't arise again.
We take pride in what we do and would like to take the opportunity to invite you back to see us again in the near future.
Please feel free to contact us on 01433 620 578 to either discuss these matters further with a member of the management team or even just to book a table and let us redeem ourselves with quality food and quality service!
If there is anything else you would like to discuss with us do not hesitate to give us a ring.
Kind regards,
Team Castle

Reviewed 27 September 2017 via mobile

I can heartily recommend The Castle. The beer is great, the staff are excellent and the food is superb. I doubt that there is a better value place to refresh yourself in the Hope Valley.

General Manager A, Manager at The Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2017

Hi Jon O, thank you for taking the time to leave a review for us at The Castle, Castleton. We're happy we could meet your expectations! We sincerely thank you for the positive review, and look forward to seeing you again soon!
Team Castle

Reviewed 25 September 2017 via mobile

A great, welcoming stop after a weary walk. Dog-friendly, and when we moved outside, the girl even brought a water bowl out to make sure my rascal was well-watered.

Pub is clean, tidy and smart, but still has a traditional feel to it.

Beer is well-kept, bar well-maintained.

Good pub, well-run.

Hi, thank you for taking the time to leave a review for us at The Castle, Castleton. We're happy we could meet your expectations! Thank you, and have a fantastic day!
Team Castle.

Reviewed 21 September 2017

We booked a table for dinner and asked if we could bring our dog and were told it was fine in the bar area. When we arrived we had a friendly welcome and our dog was given some treats which she rather enjoyed! We both had very good meals here together with a nice bottle of wine. Would definitely recommend especially if you are looking for somewhere dog friendly,

Hi Andy And Jac R, thank you for taking the time to leave a review for us at The Castle, Castleton. We're happy we could meet your expectations! Thanks again for the recommendation, and have an amazing day!
Team Castle.