Review Highlights
Very good

I go regular great bird watching place especially in winter. Be live they going to build lots of... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
rodney c
Dog walking

Went to Pickerings Pasture to walk the dog, it's a lovely view across the Mersey, then to top it... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
clivebaines1
Widnes, United Kingdom
via mobile

All reviews dog walkers walking area lovely place spike island pleasant stroll mersey view children playing nature reserve birds bridge picnic cafe wildflower path heritage benches liverpool
Reviewed 19 June 2018

I've been coming her since I was a young child when my granddad would take me along for a walk. This area used to be a council tip IIRC a certainly I remember it being overgrown & a little scary.
In the 80's there was a major undertaking in cleaning up the area into the nature reserve we see now. They have now built a footbridge so you can walk all the way to the old Runcorn bridge which does take you past the Granox - hold your nose at that point.

Popular with bikers, dog walkers & those looking for a little piece.

Reviewed 28 May 2018

There's free car parking and a cafe that opens about lunch time on a Sunday. (Not to sure whether it opens any other days)
Nature reserve and good views looking across the Mersey, might be handy to take binoculars and camera.
Walking area for taking dogs for a walk and I often took my grandson for a stroll in his pram along the main path.
Plenty of different routes you can walk and make it a bit of a adventure with children.

Reviewed 14 May 2018

I did this wonderful walk the other day with my brother and my old dog in her pushchair! we got the 82A bus from Liverpool (rather a laborious ride), and got off to walk down Mersey View Road to Pickering Pastures. it was then a straight walk towards the Runcorn Bridges on a good path. HOWEVER, there is a difficult 'bridge' over a ravine to navigate, the steps are shallow and apart but I have heart problems. however, with my brother pushing the pushchair, and a few rests, I managed to cross. but you would have to be fit to push a buggy or a wheelchair, and not manageable at all with an electric wheelchair. after that it is all even. the path forward has an industrial estate on the left, but still a stunning view of the river on the right. you then enter an enchanted place where you can go under the bridge and get a beautiful unusual view. you come out by some houses, but keep going right, then left - follow the small signs on lamp posts informing you of the bike route.
You then come across a darling little park where you can stop for a picnic with the view over the river. keep going along the Victorian promenade and you will suddenly come across Spike Island. it looks like something from Swallows and Amazons, with lovely little boats on the canal. this whole walk is around 2 and a half miles. I was too tired to go round Spike Island by then! we went to the Catalyst Museum for a coffee-rather annoyingly there are no seats outside, where people with dogs/children playing can sit, unless you go down a steep bank. there are toilets in there and a café. We then discovered that right opposite the Catalyst there is a bus stop, but only at 22 mins past each hour (and possibly not 2.22p.m.). this would have taken us back to a shopping centre or nearer to Liverpool bus stops. we had just missed it however- so we had a long boring walk through an industrial estate (Waterloo Road, keep on the right fork), go under the flyover, across a busy road to a row of shops. outside the lighting shop you can pick up the 79 and 82A back to Liverpool. this is probably only about three quarters of a mile, but it seemed longer as I was tired. so it is worth timing that little bus outside Catalyst!
to take the walk further past Spike Island, and go up St. Helen's Canal looked very inviting-but I have been unable to find out which buses I could pick up on Fiddlers Ferry Road when I got too tired to go further-possibly 17 or 110?
however, the walk from Pickering Pastures to Spike Island is very special. bikes do go along the trail, we went on a hot Saturday and even so there wasn't that many to interfere with us walking with the dog. there is plenty of shade, benches here and there along the way and of course at Spike Island you can use Catalyst's toilets. it is also quite a safe walk if you were on your own, as it does pass industrial estates (presumably with CCTV), houses etc.

Reviewed 4 January 2018

You drive down a little lane from the busy and largely industrial Halebank, following the signs to Pickerings Pasture. Have faith because after a short while the scene is transformed to a beautifully landscaped nature reserve with nice views over the river Mersey giving a calm sense of contentment and well being. Just goes to show that there are still hidden jewels in some of the most unlikely places.

Reviewed 5 November 2017 via mobile

A good place to go for a walk along the Mersey and see some industrial and marine heritage of the Mersey

1  Thank David F