“A excellent night at the black lion”
Review of The Black Lion

The Black Lion
Ranked #34 of 119 Restaurants in Nantwich
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 7 October 2018

I am a Cub Scout leader for Willaston scouts , we have compleated a lovely walk around Nantwich tonight and stopped off with 22 kids in the courtyard of The Black Lion. Complimentary jugs of blackcurrent and Crisps were put on by Liz and her team . Can’t thank her enough . It was a lovely gesture. I visit the black lion weekly. The customer service, the food and the beer is outstanding . This is truly the best pub in Cheshire.... I must also mention Joe. He is a brilliant manager who remembers what you drink and what glass you have it In - excellent ! thank you Liz once again

Reviewed 4 October 2018 via mobile

An absolutely outstanding Sunday dinner. 4 in our party who nominated it the best they had ever had.

1  Thank Tanya C
Reviewed 23 September 2018 via mobile

I've been into the Black Lion many times over the years. But didn't realise they did food! I happened to see an advert in the Nantwich food magazine and booked a table. So last night 22 of us went for dinner. Some had two courses consisting of starter or sweet and some had 3 courses. I had the pate to start, which was absolutely delicious. It tasted like a proper homemade pate, it had a lovely rich flavour and was served with toasted ciabatta. There was red onion chutney with it as well which complemented the pate. Others had the fresh asparagus and also said that was delicious. The celeriac and pea soup also got stellar reviews.
For my main course I had the fresh pasta with pesto sauce and chicken. That was also delicious, tasted fresh and the pesto and the chicken was just lovely. It also came with two slices of ciabatta garlic bread and it was my kind of garlic bread, because as soon as I took a bite, butter dripped down my hand!! Just delicious!! The fresh pasta with arrabiata sauce was equally delicious. The steaks were perfectly cooked and they loved that it came with massive onion rings and hand cut chips. The salmon was lovely and perfectly cooked. The burger was amazing, it was served on a wooden board with huge onion rings, hand cut chips, a side salad, relish and coleslaw. The small fish and chips was excellent value, as was the large portion. Both were served with a good quantity of tartar sauce and mushy peas. The chicken supreme looked lovely lots of fresh vegetables on it and apparently the pea and watercress sauce was very tasty.
The halloumi burger was also very tasty and served with salad, chips, coleslaw and onion rings.
I'm fairly sure that between us, we had all the main courses on the menu and everyone said the food was delicious.
What can I say about the desserts, well quite a lot as it turns out!! The lemon posset was the favourite, everyone who had it, raved about it!! The chocolate torte, crumble and brulee were also loved as well.
Unfortunately I only took a couple of pictures of the food, I wish I'd have taken more.

Being a Meetup group, we are very sociable and go out for a lot of meals and the test of a good meal is when I ask everyone afterwards, would you come again? And the answer in this case was a resounding, yes definitely.
Thanks very much Joe, you and your team were great, we had a fantastic night and we'll be back!!

Reviewed 7 September 2018 via mobile

As we were in the area on Monday night we decided to try our luck at the quiz at this pub.
The staff and clientele were very welcoming. The olde world wobbly floor boards gave you the impression you’d already had a few drinks!
The quiz was very popular not a seat remaining inside. All the tables down and up stairs were used. The sound system enabled upstairs to hear the questions clearly. It doesn’t need to be advertised. We couldn’t find any mention of it on the web site or FB page.
The rounds of questions had an individual format which the regulars helped us get acquainted with.
At half time we were given a bowl of crisps.
Numerically we came last but still had a good night out.

1  Thank Rosemary W
Reviewed 27 August 2018 via mobile

I go in to Nantwich and I been in the black lion many times but didn’t know served food .. After looking on the net where we could get a Sunday dinner .. we tried here ... wow it was amazing and defo be going back .. 2 course £15.95 .. The food was delicious I had lamb , roasts how made Yorkshire pud , veg and a lovely mash yummy it was. with ur own little jug of gravy .. I would highly recommend..and serves food till half 5 ..