“Could be better”

Giraffe - Cheshire Oaks
Ranked #32 of 146 Restaurants in Ellesmere Port
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Visited on a Wednesday evening with daughter. Us and one other table occupied. Greeted and given menus promptly but to be told there were no "bowls for the soul" dishes available ?? Which I would have chosen viewing the menu before entering.
Services was slow as the waiter and waitress were chatting away. We finally ordered starters, steak and the and the brisket burger. No complaints about the food.
What disappointed me was when I checked the bill after paying and a 10% "optional" gratuity charge was automatically was added on. I had a meerkat code for buy one get one free on starters and mains. Bill came just shy of £40.
Would I have paid double that for what we had, no. Would I have left a tip to a chain restaurant, probably not.
Really they should give you the choice to pay the gratuity as other restaurants do ie: press a certain button on card machine for yes or no.
Food good, service not so good, and over priced and for this reason I wouldn't return.

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed 7 November 2018 via mobile

Been to this place a few times and it’s usually nice however tonight they seated me and my young son and waited for us to choose our food only to inform us we couldn’t have a starter because they didn’t have any. Only garlic bread priced at £7.95 or olives at £4.95 who’s going to pay the best part of £8 for garlic bread or £5 for about 7 olives. People were getting up and walking out. They’ve seriously lost the plot in this place we definitely will not be returning. The burger I got I payed an extra £2 for crispy bacon and it certainly wasn’t crispy but it was full of fat that wasn’t in any way shape or form crispy. If we weren’t in a rush we would have also left

1  Thank Lee M
Reviewed 6 November 2018 via mobile

We arrived into the giraffe eatery to have a drink and some food during our shopping trip at Cheshire oaks outlet.
When we arrived into the restaurant we were told to wait whilst they cleared tables, no worries. We were seated at a table that had just been cleaned but still had remains of food on it, the tables were rocking side to side so we used some paper napkins to steady them.
Eventually a waitress came over and took our drinks order, or was a long time before the drinks arrived and my hot chocolate well it wasn't hot.
2 beers cost 14 pounds and a tea and my chocolate.
After looking at the menu we were ignored for a while and eventually caught the attention of a staff member and placed our order.
After what was an eternity I called a staff member over as we had been waiting over 45 minutes for our food and the people who arrived after us had their food and left. I don't know I'd they has taken a dislike to us for some reason, anyway unasked the girl if she could chase up our order, and we watched her go to the area the food is placed and aftern5 more minutes she came with out food which we could clearly see had been sitting on the service hatch waiting for the staff to bring it to our table.
I think the waitress was embarrassed because she said to watch the plates as they were hot. This was totally untrue and the cheese had hardened on the burgers as it had gone cold.
I told the staff that the food was cold and she said straight away that they would cook the food again for us we refused as we had been there for over 1 hour waiting for burgers, the waitress apologised and said that she would waver our drinks, very disappointing to say the least as we had wasted so much Time waiting for substandard food. The problem was a shift change and the staff felt more for chatting and massing about than actually doing their job. I would definitely not recommend this place

1  Thank Irene T
Reviewed 4 November 2018 via mobile

We picked giraffe for a coffee and a little breakfast while waiting for others to finish shopping.

The coffee came straight away but we had to wait for further 45 minutes for two bagels with egg. Three quarters of an hour for a piece of bread! Despite mutliple prompts the staff didn't care much and it was the first time in my life when I stood up and nearly left the restaurant, we were only then advised that it is on the way. The bagel itself was burnt and had a black layer of crust.

The staff was generally very uninviting, unattentive and lazy. Despite 3 girls attending 50 guests they were still acting slowly.

Never again.

1  Thank Artur G
Reviewed 4 November 2018 via mobile

After a long drive to Cheshire Oaks from Hull, we were really looking forward to a meal at Giraffe. We had a short wait for our table and were soon seated with our drinks and food ordered. Our nachos that we ordered as a starter arrived promptly. They were lack lustre but nothing to majorly complain about. It was at this point that our meal took a turn for the worse. The waiters/waitresses took an immense amount of time to clear our empty plate away and it was around this time that I commented on how poor the service was to my partner. We then endured around an hours wait for three of the small tapas dishes. We were not the only diners complaining of a slow service. At around the hour mark, the waiter said our food was being plated up. Ten minutes later, another of member of staff (presumably the manager) told us that the meal would be free because we had waited so long. The 'meal' followed about 2 minutes after this.

The chicken dish contained battered chicken that WAS STILL FROZEN. My partner had frozen chicken in his mouth! How? After more than an hours wait, how was the chicken frozen?!

We decided enough was enough at this point. I invited the manager to come and feel the frozen food that his kitchen had served us. He declined and said he would take our word for it. He apologised profusely however it was a step too far for us and we left.

So disappointed that a normally nice chain of restaurants is letting its standards slip to such a low level. We will not be supporting Giraffe again and will be following this complaint up with the chain.

There are clearly some major issues in this restaurant and I would AVOID at all costs.

1  Thank 15,987