“Great Service”

Ranked #2 of 4 Crewe B&B and Inns
Howell
“Great Service”
Reviewed 17 March 2008

We held our first reunion for HMS Troubridge (the last commission 1966-1969) in October 2007 and the hotel staff made it a very memorable occasion for us all and went above and beyond our expectations. The hotel gave us our own private area in the main bar and decorated it with photo's etc they dug from who knows where for the weekend as well as catering a great reunion dinner on Saturday night. We were so impressed we are holding our reunion there this year. Bryan

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed October 2007
1 Thank Romft1
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 29 November 2007

I do not post messages here very often but I was shocked to see a negative review on this establishment and decided I would jump in to add my two cents worth. While traveling through England recently I was fortunate enough to happen upon the Royal Hotel in Crewe. I arrived on a Friday with no reservations. I sighted the hotel from the train station and walked to the establishment hoping they would have some reasonable accommodation's available as I was quite weary from my travels. I was greeted by a very friendly girl who kindly gave me a cheap rate of 33 Pounds Sterling per night. I was surprised when she told me that would also include my breakfast! I got a very tidy room with a bath in it. I fully expected to have to truck down the hall for showers etc. for the price I was paying and knowing how lodging can be in the UK. At breakfast the next morning I expected the usual cold buffet of seemingly leftover goods only to find out the food was some of the best I had eaten on my entire trip! I enjoyed it so well I took dinner there that night and planned to visit their Pub for a nightcap. I often travel by myself and have experienced being the outsider in a new place with little more than an obligatory "Hello" or "Cheers" I really didn't expect anything more than that simply topping off the evening with a few drinks. What I got instead was a very warm greeting not only from the bartender and the staff but ended up meeting most of the patrons that night. By the time I left I felt as if I were actually part of the community! If you are used to fluffy robes and whirlpool tubs in your suite this may not be the place for you. I do enjoy those kinds of accommodation's as well but in England I find they will cost me in excess of $500.00 per night American! The Royal Hotel in Crewe was the best value and experience I had on my entire stay in the country! A great overall experience.

• Liked — The People and the Food!
  • Disliked — Having to leave!
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank BudCaruso
Europe
Reviewed 26 September 2007

The Royal Hotel provided me with the worst night's accommodation I have ever had in a UK hotel. They added £5.00 to rate of the room I had booked on the basis that the rooms at that price were all booked. Surprising, as I had booked 4 months previously.
The noise from the disco was intolerable, so much so that guests were wandering the hotel corridors in their night clothes at 3.00am. They daren't go outside as the 'hotel' is located in one of the worst areas of Crewe as far as kids out causing trouble are concerned. The sound of police and ambulance sirens added to the difficult of getting to sleep, even when the noise of the disco finall died down.
The room itself was dirty and tiny and lacked most of the advertisied facilities. The staff were agressive and rude and breakfast is only served from 8.30 onwards useless if you have work to do. However, as I have no doubt the breakfast would lead to food poisoning I am glad I missed it
Do not go to this place.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The Hotel
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank TimetravelerEurope

Travellers are raving about these Crewe hotels

Cranberry Township, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 31 July 2007

The Royal Hotel was the ideal place for my small group to stay on an excursion to Alton Towers Theme Park. The hotel was close to the Crewe rail station and a short train ride from Uttoxeter where we picked up a bus to Alton Towers.

The rate was reasonable and the hotel was clean. It's an old building and it's very simple but it worked out very well for us. The staff was exceptionally friendly including the bartenders at the adjacent bar. I'd definitely return in the future if I'm in the area.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Breakfast is only served during a 2 hour period
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends
Jersey, Uk
Reviewed 20 March 2007

I was looking for a cheap hotel by Crewe railway station. Their simple web site said they were 100 yards from the station and the price for a single room was £30 b&B.

Not expecting much i turned up expecting a bit of a hike... We all know what 100 yards means.. but sure enough walked out of the station looked left and saw a glowing red sign saying "Royal Hotel".... about 95 yards later i was there..

a very clean reception... a very warm welcome... and 2 flights of stairs, i found my room. It was en suite - ok so the sink was in room and loo and shower in a box in the corner, but it was really clean, no peeling paint or anything... comfy bed and a nice big tele... for £30 i was more than happy.... Even the carpet was nice - not warn and like velcro. Bed was sound, and despite the fact it was snowing when i got there, everything was all warm and snug.

The breakfast was amazing... help yourself to tea, coffee and cereals then a massive fry up....

All in all, a perfect night for the money.... if your used to spa's and molton brown in the bathroom then this is not for you, but if your happy with a perfectly clean and nice b&b and all for £30 then go for it...

• Stayed March 2007, travelled solo